new prop design

Reaction score
What do you think about a new self-tightening and balanced carbon fiber prop?

I like the new 9 in prop design with the self tightening feature. All I can say is they are more durable, stiff and less forgiving if you get hit with them. Was flying indoors in my photo studio were I was kneeling down with the controller so that I could quickly pick up my camera and after takeoff my Phantom 2 came right for me. All I could do was put my hands out. The prop blades are like a dull knife blade and they wacked the crap out of my hands. Tore up my fingers and splattered blood across phantom and props. Not huge cuts but I immediately went and soaked my hands in a bucket with ice and water. If I hadn't done that immediately I bet my hands would have been super soar and swollen. Lesson learned, need a bigger indoor space.

freelanceshots said:
Tore up my fingers and splattered blood across phantom and props. Not huge cuts but I immediately went and soaked my hands in a bucket with ice and water. If I hadn't done that immediately I bet my hands would have been super soar and swollen. Lesson learned, need a bigger indoor space.

Sounds nasty :-(

looking for dji graphics for fun and came across these CF props from Hong Kong. If they are duplicates of the self tightening props from dji what could be different in their quality??? CF from Hong Kong seems to be decent from other CF motorcycle parts.

Ebay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Tightening ... 1319352608

I went ahead and bought them. I guess I'll be the ginny pig. Wanted the Dji 9in CF props but they are not the self-tightening. I bet the dji props come from Hong Kong as well, maybe from the same place.

freelanceshots said:
I went ahead and bought them. I guess I'll be the ginny pig.

Good luck with that. Will be interested to hear how it goes

freelanceshots said:
looking for dji graphics for fun and came across these CF props from Hong Kong. If they are duplicates of the self tightening props from dji what could be different in their quality??? CF from Hong Kong seems to be decent from other CF motorcycle parts.

Ebay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Tightening ... 1319352608

Those do look interesting. Let us know how they work out please!

freelanceshots said:
Wanted the Dji 9in CF props but they are not the self-tightening. I bet the dji props come from Hong Kong as well, maybe from the same place.

DJI doesn't make any CF props in that size, or even close.

I think you'll find that the quality of knockoff and imitation CF props varies widely, and without brand names on them it's impossible to tell if the ones you're looking at are crap until you fly them. There's plenty of reports of both regular and CF props that appear to be similar to the stock DJI profile, but are total junk when actually put to the test. Even very minor differences in build quality and profile can make a huge difference in use.

I need to be more clear or correct myself. Dji has their updated 9" phantom 2, plastic self-tightening props. Big difference between old and new. DSLRpros sells their carbon fiber 9in props that match the design of the Dji redesigned props. The ones I ordered now, look to be exact duplicates from a mold standpoint. A lot of CF parts come from China/Hong Kong and it can be hit or miss, but there is some good quality CF that can come from there.

Got email today that they shipped with confirmation number.

26 dollars with free shipping. I think its worth the risk if I analyze them and take the first flight very low and slow. Now I will pay special attention to how securely they self tighten. That would be catastrophic if one came off in flight. If they match the Phantom 2 props to the "T" when I set them side by side then its a no-brainer. Free shipping, so not a big loss and then lesson learned.

DJI has been dragging their feet on this. Well yes there are vast difference in quality. I'm waiting for a set and trying Acesdeals.biz version. He tests ALL the products he sells and is an authorized DJI dealer. If it's on his site then he stands by the product.

Can't wait to see the flight characteristics of the prop.

Got the props today. Pretty fast shipping from across the sea. Props are not perfect pieces of CF artwork but they are good for the 26 bucks spent. Now are they balanced, I don't know because I don't know how I'm going to check them with my Du-bro prop balancer since they don't go all the way through the hub for mounting. They thin down on the width towards the prop tips but its not a crazy difference. They are for sure less flexible which should help flying dynamics.

13789908375_b6d582d306.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 343
freelanceshots said:
Got the props today. Pretty fast shipping from across the sea. Props are not perfect pieces of CF artwork but they are good for the 26 bucks spent. Now are they balanced, I don't know because I don't how I'm going to check them with my Du-bro prop balancer since they don't go all the way through to mount them. They thin down on the width towards the prop tips but its not significant. They are for sure less flexible which should help flying dynamics.

Do you notice stability at a fast descent rate or does it still look like wobbly and want to go into VRS?

Didn't get to fly with them today. When I descend I come down at an angle or come down in a cork screw pattern. Don't even want to try to get into a wobble situation. I'll fly with the new props tomorrow.

freelanceshots said:
Didn't get to fly with them today. When I descend I come down at an angle or come down in a cork screw pattern. Don't even want to try to get into a wobble situation. I'll fly with the new props tomorrow.

Not trying to make you crash, stay safe! :D Just from past experience, stiffer props make a more stable descent. I'm thinking a fraction of Phantom VRS is due to well balanced, yet floppy props.

Judging from the photos it looks like less surface area, but that could be just the pics. A little pointy on the trailing edge near the hub. Less meat where the blade attaches to the hub.

What does the curve look like on the bottom, does it match the cupping of the original?

thongbong said:
[quote="freelanceshots" Just from past experience, stiffer props make a more stable descent. I'm thinking a fraction of Phantom VRS is due to well balanced, yet floppy props.

I'm finding the opposite - the P2 blades on a moderately or heavily equiped Phantom makes decent very unstable. I'm talking a Phantom w/FPV, Gimbal etc.. they may workgood for "Bare bones" or lightweight. P2 props are more agressive, and cause alot of turbulence. It's not evident when using stock landing gear and a minimal of add ons. But when you hang things like IOSD mini, gimbal, camera, Vtx,... trust me - landing can be a challenge.

I went back to OE "smooth curve" props and videos are smoother, have better control overPhantom & setting up for shots. I'm currently testing DJI's grey blades and they seem like a compromise between standard props and P2 version props. Keep your eyes open for new "striped props" from DJI - (you didn't hear that from me)

Yes, they are real similar to the plastic dji underside. The only way for me to judge these is I would have to buy the DSRLpros CF props and see them first hand. Hopefully I don't crash my P2 because I saved 30 bucks. Time will tell I guess.

Absolutely no time to fly since getting these CF ebay props. Just to windy. Tried it one day in the 20mph breeze and it was a straight up handful. Shut it down very early and called it a day. I have my doubts with them. The grown up in me thinks its not worth the added risk. Will try again if the wind subsides anytime soon.

freelanceshots said:
Absolutely no time to fly since getting these CF ebay props. Just to windy. Tried it one day in the 20mph breeze and it was a straight up handful. Shut it down very early and called it a day. I have my doubts with them. The grown up in me thinks its not worth the added risk. Will try again if the wind subsides anytime soon.

Did you actually check balance?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl