New Phantom pilot with n00b questions!

Reaction score
So I saw the $399 special on WOOT! for a Phantom v1.1.1 and jumped on the deal. I used to fly RC planes years ago as an occasional weekend hobby and I already owned a GoPro Hero HD which I use for automotive/motorcycle use. I figured the combo of the two might be fun to play with and create some interesting vids.

So in addition to my Phantom I ordered an extra battery, an anti-jello mount, and a prop balancer. I wanted to be ready to shoot some footage as soon as I had the basics of flying sorted out. The Phantom arrived last night and I assembled it and charged the batteries, but I now defer to you the experts to help me get answers to a few questions I have before I make my first flight.

1. So right off the bat I see that the prop balancer I bought is not going to work with the stock self-tightening props. I can't return it (the balancer) and I'm not going to purchase a Du-Bro just so I can jury rig it to balance these new style props UNLESS... someone can convince me these self-tightening props are the best thing since sliced bread. Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a set of the older style props and a set of nuts. I know that regardless of which route I take the key is running a set of properly balanced props to ensure minimal jello. Suggestions on replacement props? Seems the forums are all over the place as far as recommendations go...

2. Stock battery charger & battery packs. What's the deal with the extra 4-conductor connector? Besides the charger, what else does this connector interface with? What is its purpose? When using the stock charger do I set it for 1, 2, or 3 Amps?

3. In the box with my Phantom was an “accessory” bag with a few odds-n-ends in it. A wrench that fits something? A 4-inch piece of string and a couple small pieces of foam. Any ideas what this stuff is for?

4. Should I install the assist software and upgrade the firmware now before my first flight or not? I’ve read that I should just take it out, calibrate the compass and fly & enjoy it while others say I must update the firmware first. What say ye?

TIA
U.M.

On the battery that's the balance wire can be used for accessories in-flight . I charge on 1 it is a slow charge some charge on 3 faster charge .
The wrench is for the top spoll on the Motors to tighten and take off the props . The fome is extras for the bottom of your landing gear .
I'm still flying my 1.1.1 with the 4.0 software have not updated yet I will eventually .
GL happy flying !

I would connect to the computer and the assistant software to enable the IOC function. The small four wire connector is the balance lead, one wire on it is ground, and the remaining three are hot leads (one for each cell), the charger uses this connection to balance out all three cells, and the main wires coming from the battery are the discharge/charge leads. Get used to flying it (in gps mode) before you mount the camera. IMO, you shouldn't need the anti jello mount, nor would I worry about the props being out of balance. Keep it simple as you learn and if you feel the need to mod later, then do it then. The whole idea behind the Phantom is "out of the box" quad copter for entry level aerial photography.

The 4 wire connector on the battery plugs into one of 3 receptacles on the side of the charger. The other two receptacles have 3 and 5 wires so the connector will only fit in one. The charger uses it to determine when all three cells in the battery are equally charged.

Uncle Meat said:
3. In the box with my Phantom was an “accessory” bag with a few odds-n-ends in it. A wrench that fits something? A 4-inch piece of string and a couple small pieces of foam. Any ideas what this stuff is for?
I understood the purpose of all of these... except the piece of string. :?

I can come up with a 'sort of' purpose but... I haven't really convinced myself that's it intended purpose.

Any genius here who has actually figured out what we are supposed to do with it? :p

Big Ben said:
Uncle Meat said:
I understood the purpose of all of these... except the piece of string. :?

I can come up with a 'sort of' purpose but... I haven't really convinced myself that's it intended purpose.

Any genius here who has actually figured out what we are supposed to do with it? :p

Tie one end of the string around the battery cable coming out of the Phantom. Using a piece of tape, tape the other end of the string to the inside of the battery compartment door.

The string is to fish out the battery cable when it gets too far into the interior of the Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl