New Phantom Pilot - appreciate your guidance getting started

Reaction score
Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil!

I'm looking to buy a Phantom 2 (Non-Vision) w/ H3-3D for use w/ a GoPro Hero 3 and really appreciate the wisdom of you experienced Phantom Pilots. Thank you!

I want to be able to see live what my GoPro is seeing and also information about my Phantom (location, battery life, altitude, etc.). It seems like FPV and iOSD is the way to go. My understanding is that since I'm not buying a Vision that the iOSD will not display on and iOS device such as iPhone or iPad and will only display on my FPV monitor. Is this true?

I'm thinking to get:
* DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro Video Camera
* FPV
* iOSD
* Extra propellers
* Prop guards
* 3 extra batteries
* Hard case

Questions:
1) Please see question above about FPV and iOSD.
2) What FPV would be the best cost-benefit for me as someone getting started?
3) Anything else I'm missing from my list above that I should get?
4) Any other guidance?
5) Should I build this myself or buy a package? (I have a background in engineering and feel pretty comfortable with electronics and technical stuff.)

Thanks so much in advance for your kind assistance and guidance in helping me get started. I promise we'll be sharing some awesome videos from around Brazil soon after getting up in the air!

Re: New Phantom Pilot - appreciate your guidance getting sta

LukeBarbara said:
Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil!

I'm looking to buy a Phantom 2 (Non-Vision) w/ H3-3D for use w/ a GoPro Hero 3 and really appreciate the wisdom of you experienced Phantom Pilots. Thank you!

I want to be able to see live what my GoPro is seeing and also information about my Phantom (location, battery life, altitude, etc.). It seems like FPV and iOSD is the way to go. My understanding is that since I'm not buying a Vision that the iOSD will not display on and iOS device such as iPhone or iPad and will only display on my FPV monitor. Is this true?

I'm thinking to get:
* DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro Video Camera
* FPV
* iOSD
* Extra propellers
* Prop guards
* 3 extra batteries
* Hard case

Questions:
1) Please see question above about FPV and iOSD.
2) What FPV would be the best cost-benefit for me as someone getting started?
3) Anything else I'm missing from my list above that I should get?
4) Any other guidance?
5) Should I build this myself or buy a package? (I have a background in engineering and feel pretty comfortable with electronics and technical stuff.)

Thanks so much in advance for your kind assistance and guidance in helping me get started. I promise we'll be sharing some awesome videos from around Brazil soon after getting up in the air!

1) the vision operates on 5.8 frequencies like a wifi. The way the iOS or android devices operate is receiving from those 5.8 GHz frequencies through apps and also the flight of the visions are also operating 5.8. The Phantom 2 non-visions fight operates under a 2.4 GHz frequencies and we add 5.8GHz transmitters for FPV on the non-visions.

2) the simplest FPV installation for non-phantoms is a DJI Tx, FPV Hub, iOSD mini... all plug and play no soldering. I used this setup with a Boscam Diversity monitor 5802. I got it from UAVProducts.com here in the states.
the DJI tx is boscam so it fit well. There are tons of setups but you get to choose. Immersion tx and rx are popular and black pearl monitors are popular.

3. If it's for filming... I would consider getting extended legs, wider landing stance and keeps legs out of shots. Also with the gimbal sitting so low... the extended legs help keep the gopro off the ground. I would get the landing gears from Acesdeals.biz He also carries a special waterproof hard case with custom foam inserts to fit the any phantom including the one with longer legs

4. I would get GOOD matching antenna. the best antenna I have seen are from FPVLR.com in the US and http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com in the UK.

5. I would put them together yourself... but look around for good packages I got started at UAVproducts.com and http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ Make sure you get the items you like. I know some places do some crazy packages I think are over priced as a giant package. just my 2 cents.

d4ddyo thanks for much for your thorough and thoughtful reply. good vibes!

Check out this video from yesterday if you'd like :)

http://youtu.be/nDJmBNcfsqA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl