Reaction score
Hey guys, I have just joined as I am about to purchase my first drone (in about 4 weeks) which is likely to be the Phantom 4. Any recommendations and ease of flying will be most appreciated.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

All of the Phantom 3s and Phantom 4s are easy to fly. It would be better to choose based on the features that are most important to you.

Many thanks. I enjoy photography and thinking of stepping this up to include aerial shots.

Hey Railwaydave, welcome to the world of drones! The Phantom 4 is a fantastic piece of equipment. It has loads of features and is very easy to fly. You should fully read the instructions before you try to fly and also watch all the you tube videos you can find. You can find a whole lot of negative comments about DJI's customer support of which most of it is probably true. I have had an ongoing dispute with them for over a month with no resolution in sight. You can start on the forums, here and DJI's own forum and find a lot of information. The P3 is also a great drone but the technology is at least a year out of date as compared to the P4. Also, the Mavic is a great drone and it folds up. The Phantom 4 Pro has been introduced for another $500 and it has loads of new features. Probably though, the Phantom 4 would be your best bet considering all that it will do and the ease of flying. HOWEVER, be advised that the customer support for any of DJI's drones is considered worse than none. They will lie to you over nothing when telling the truth would be easier. They never return phone calls and if they do reply to an email, it is never conclusive whereas you would have some proof in writing of something that they actually said. AND, should you have to return your drone to them for repair, either warranty or otherwise, you will probably not get it back. They apparently have the ability and intent under their policy to exchange your drone, whether new or not, for another one that supposedly has been upgraded and thoroughly checked out but from the comments posted on the forums, this is hardly the case. They even sent me a replacement drone with all four propeller retaining springs missing! That takes some time and work to remove them so how the heck did they test this drone out with these items missing?

So, read, watch videos, post questions here and at other forums, and become familiar with DJI and all their problems. Hopefully you will never need their service but you have been warned. I too read, watched videos, and checked them out and knew better than to trust them and I bought one anyway! I learned that what I read about them was true!

Keep us posted as to your purchase and progress in learning to fly and make videos. They are truly amazing machines.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks for the reply Jim, hope you get the issues sorted very soon. Hopefully will be getting the P4 in about 4 weeks (selling my Harley (middle age crisis) and going to treat myself to a new hobby).

Yeah, good deal! You will get lots of fun out of the Phantom especially being into photography like you are. You might look at the app "Litchi". I use it in place of DJI GO app. I had problems with DJI's app and once I tried Litchi, I love it. I keep the DJI GO for calibration and other stuff but fly only with Litchi. Also, Laurence Seberine has an excellent online set of courses that teaches all about piloting and videoing. Check him out at
Laurence Seberini

[email protected]
Luckymobile

I bought a whole bunch of his courses and most of the time you can get a cluster of them deeply discounted. I can also go back and review them at any time which I need to do by the way. I am not sure where he is from, South Africa maybe? Anyway, he is good and has a good list of courses.

I did not mean to get long winded again but you have time to learn a lot about the hobby before you jump in and I hate to hear you are selling your Harley but you may find the drones more fun and certainly a tad safer! :)
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Yeah, good deal! You will get lots of fun out of the Phantom especially being into photography like you are. You might look at the app "Litchi". I use it in place of DJI GO app. I had problems with DJI's app and once I tried Litchi, I love it. I keep the DJI GO for calibration and other stuff but fly only with Litchi. Also, Laurence Seberine has an excellent online set of courses that teaches all about piloting and videoing. Check him out at
Laurence Seberini

[email protected]
Luckymobile

I bought a whole bunch of his courses and most of the time you can get a cluster of them deeply discounted. I can also go back and review them at any time which I need to do by the way. I am not sure where he is from, South Africa maybe? Anyway, he is good and has a good list of courses.

I did not mean to get long winded again but you have time to learn a lot about the hobby before you jump in and I hate to hear you are selling your Harley but you may find the drones more fun and certainly a tad safer! :)
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Thanks, Ill take a look at his site and the app as I only know of DJI Go which I'm going to download when I finish my night shift,

Laurence Seberini

[email protected]
Luckymobile

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Well said :)

Reactions: Railwaydave

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member