New Hex Build

Sorry to jump into your thread but could I ask a few questions please ? :)

I have a P2V and now want to fly a better quality camera so am thinking of the next step.

* how easy are these hexcopters to fly - as easy/stable as the P2V in Gps mode ?
* are they foldable in any way for transport ?
* My rough idea is to have two cameras on board - one for composing shots and a second higher quality (RX100) for the actual photography (have to figure out a way to trigger it) - does this plan sounds feasible or is it crazy ?

A lot of research to do I know but just would like appreciate any basic advice first .....

Thanks

(I have been tinkering around and making model helicopters/planes on & off for many years)

Red mustang is bolt ons only because it's setup for road racing.

Black mustang is a straight line car, last dyno was 744 rwhp, but I have sense change the pulley so it should be more.

pault said:
* how easy are these hexcopters to fly - as easy/stable as the P2V in Gps mode ?
* My rough idea is to have two cameras on board - one for composing shots and a second higher quality (RX100) for the actual photography (have to figure out a way to trigger it) - does this plan sounds feasible or is it crazy ?

Using the naza it flys the same as your phantom will. In fact On my taranis I copied the same profile I use for my phantom and am using it with the tarot. I will make some changes once the 3 axis gimbal comes in.

Yes it's foldable, there is a pic of it folded in the first post. I will buy a rifle backpack for it, cut some foam out and it should be a perfect fit. The antenna folds down also.

You can run two cameras no problem. They make video switches so you can switch between the two. But for my purpose just one is fine as long as it has a live video out. As far as remote operating the camera, I have never looked into it. I don't imagine it being that hard to rig something up. When I use the gopro I use 720, 60fps and have it take a picture every 5secs. This tarot is more then capable of carrying a small dslr like the sony. And since it's such a common aerial camera there is probably a lot of information out there on it. I just don't know since I don't have one.

pault said:
Sorry to jump into your thread but could I ask a few questions please ? :)

I have a P2V and now want to fly a better quality camera so am thinking of the next step.

Hex configuration is easy to fly once it is set up. If it is a mid-size or larger one, then it is more stable in the wind (as was pointed out by the OP - his machine was more stable than the P2 on the windy test day). It won't be able to dart around quite as quickly as the P2 but that isn't a real advantage to most of us. If I was going to go manual and do a few loops, I would pick the P2 (or better - my P1 without the $1000 worth of add-ons). I wouldn't really want to dart around like that with the hex.

Many are foldable (not all). The Tarot is foldable - I am building an 810 and it collapses down to something that would fit in a rifle/shotgun case (which can be had much cheaper than the GoProfessional case for the P2). However, for traveling, I use the P2 since I can get the case on-board the aircraft. I have a 550 and it is NOT foldable. It can travel in my car if the seat is folded down, in the trunk, or in the back of the pickup.

Two cameras is feasible but I'm starting to lean away from them. I tried it both ways - two vTX running at the same time and with one vTX switched between the cameras. I didn't like either one. It is much simpler to use the single camera (for me).

Thanks for the replies :)

Have enjoyed the RTF experience but am leaning towards something more interesting (and challenging). There are a few of us desperate to fly a RX100 so might try this route - decisions, decisions !

pault said:
There are a few of us desperate to fly a RX100 so might try this route

One of the top 3 reasons I went to an F550 platform is so I could carry an RX100 or something else in that size/quality class on a gimbal. I haven't chosen the camera or gimbal yet, but a hex that size or bigger should work fine. Another option you can consider is the Tarot 680Pro/690...a bit bigger (and more carrying capacity) than an F550, not quite as, uh...expansive as the 810. I've looked at a lot of options in the 500-1000 class(es), and the Tarot's are what I consider to be the best platforms.

pault said:
Again, apologies for intruding on this thread but I do not think this warrants a new thread but maybe of interest to newbie builders (like me).

There is a roundup of various multicopter frames at:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp2IzxXW5CM

that's it!!!! One more time and you are out of here buddy. :lol: Cool vid!

Just got time, another windy day here in Florida, two weeks straight now. Luckily the back yard it pretty shielded, but not very big. So I got to do a couple battery tests.

PowerEdge 4S 5000mah 45C, 566g

Battery 1:
13:40 mins first red light, I landed it without going to second light. Voltage right after was 3.71 per cell. Forgot to check resting.
Put 3929mah back in which is 79ish%
Charged at 1C took 60mins

Battery 2:
12:20 mins first red light, I let it go and it still hadn't landed at 14:08 so I landed it, 3.70 right after, 3.72 resting.
Put 3888mah back in which is 78ish%
Charged at 6C took 14:34min.

Dual batteries: Total weight, 3032 grams
18:30 first red light, 19:00 another red flash, 19:20 another red flash, 20:30 another red flash, 21:45 constant red flashing, but still didn't land. Lost me nerve at 22:08, batteries were at 3.71. So I could have probably made 23 mins, but no need to risk it.

So now as soon as the gimbal I want gets back in stock I can order it, and the FPV gear.

@ boozshey - just to be clear, this was without camera and gimbal ?

So, when these are installed will there be sufficient power to lift the gimbal, camera and the two batteries ?

Suppose what I am trying to say is that when all is complete you should be looking at flights times similar to the P2/P2V ?

Correct, no gimbal or camera, this is naked with batteries.

This is a heavy lift hex, there will be more than enough power to lift just about anything I could afford to lift.

Even strapping on the extra 566grams from the second battery the thing flew the same exact way as it did with the single battery.

I anticipate losing about 2-3 minutes of flight time with the extra equipment.

Nope, nothing special. I plugged it into Channel 8 and assigned it to the SF two position switch.

I made a Y cable to run them parallel to the same channel.

Something like this.

le0021-big.jpg

Cool, I figured that would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Now what I want to do is figure out how to make the Taranis trigger them (or whatever) at a certain altitude using telemetry data.

Finally got the MC6500 3 axis gimal in and installed. Man there is a ton of micro vibration. Going to need to shorten up the sticks a little I think to try and eliminate it.

I'm sad, as I was hoping this was going to be an out of the box setup...

O'well, more play time in my future.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl