New Florida Laws - Fort Desoto, St. Petersburg

Reaction score
Ok maybe someone here can help me figure this one out. So there are some new drone laws that were approved in 2017 that bans all cities from creating their own ordinances on drone usage. Fort Desoto is still claiming that drones are not allowed. They are not listed as a national park, nor are they listed in a no fly zone.

Can anyone here help me make sense of this?

They can deny you from flying from their ground aka trespassing. This is still a show stopper and nothing the FAA can argue.

Doesn’t this go against the new state law that says cities cannot make rules or regulations against flying?

Doesn’t this go against the new state law that says cities cannot make rules or regulations against flying?

BigA107 is right. They can deny you from taking off or landing on "Their property" (Public Property is an oxymoron, imho.). Same if someone were to try and fly off your lawn if you didn't approve it. Plain old trespassing law, and FAA won't intervene. Even the county roads dept. can stop you under their road encroachment laws. Been through that mess too where a forest road was built by a county roads dept., yet Forest Service has no control over it and if the county who maintains it wants an encroachment fee to launch or park your vehicle on it to afford a launch, you either pay it, or the forest service will deny your flight too. Roads Dept. wanted me to pay them $1,600 to park my car in a pullout for three hours where anyone else could park for free, but mention "Commercial use permit" and you'll pay dearly. Welcome to "It ain't easy to fly legal - especially commercial."

I don't think you guys are understanding what the OP is asking.

There is a state law in Florida that was enacted in 2017 that prohibits localities from regulating drones.
Florida Drone Laws (2017) -

(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.

Reactions: Jbird74

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl