Labelling Your Drone, and the Strictness of Canadian Law

Reaction score
So as many of you are already aware, Canada put some new laws into effect affecting drone usage some months ago. You can read about the rules here if you aren't aware already: Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Since these rules were passed, I largely stopped flying out of paranoia. Now that the dust is settling I was hoping some people could share their experiences.

I like photographing city scapes, geographic features of urban areas, etc. I generally fly high enough that the general public doesn't even notice the drone until they see me standing there with the remote control and I point out where it is. I get the usual annoying questions "How high does it go? How fast does it go? How much did it cost? etc" but never has anybody ever complained or acted negatively in any way.

My question, is that now that several months have passed, how strictly are these laws enforced? Do any of you have any stories of dealing with Canadian law enforcement since these rules came to be? If an officer sees you violating any of these rules but there are no complaints from any civilians and no reasonable threat to public safety would he/she still fine you?

And finally, labeling the drone. Under the new regulations, you must label your drone with your name and address. What is the best way to do that? do you guys stick a mailing label to the top of your drone? I want to comply with that rule, but I want to make sure I don't compromise my drones ability to fly properly. I use a P4.

I haven't had any contact with police since the new rules went into effect. I'm usually gone after 20 minutes in an area so complaints may have been made but never saw any police.

Personal opinion is that these laws will only (currently) be enforced if you are doing something stupid, annoying or illegal because of other reasons. Although Marc Garneau requested that people call 911 when they saw a drone that seemed to be flown illegally I would hope that it would be assigned a low priority in the queue unless there was a clear and present danger.

I was at a local lake a few weeks ago when someone flew his AC just above the crowd on a packed beach. He definitely didn't have vlos for most of his flight. It was a very short flight as his friends seemed to tell him to land it immediately.

The police and park "rangers" maintain a presence at the lake and I didn't see any of them come to speak with the guy for the hour or so that I was still there.

I used a brother label maker to mark my information on the bottom of my bird. It's pretty small but satisfies the regulation.

still waiting for the new rules that was supposed to be coming in June , so I've done nothing yet till something actually becomes official .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.