New Firmware V01.04.0602

GadgetGuy - In your experience, can you successfully and reliably use Ver. 1.2.0.0 firmware loaded in the +RC with Ver. 01.03.0509 firmware loaded in the P4P AC?
Unfortunately, I no longer own the P4P+. I returned it after 6 weeks to B&H, before the January 31, 2017, deadline for extended Holiday purchases. The built-in buggy Android GO 4 version ruined it for me, as much as I wanted to love the simplicity of it. Not much has changed since then. The iOS version of GO 4 will always be the gold standard, with the best programming. Get a $319 regular P4P RC and the new $300 iPad, and you'll thank me later!

Thanks for the advice !! ... but what about my original question?
"In your experience, can you successfully and reliably use Ver. 1.2.0.0 firmware loaded in the +RC with Ver. 01.03.0509 firmware loaded in the P4P AC?"

Unfortunately, I no longer own the P4P+. I returned it after 6 weeks to B&H, before the January 31, 2017, deadline for extended Holiday purchases. The built-in buggy Android GO 4 version ruined it for me, as much as I wanted to love the simplicity of it. Not much has changed since then. The iOS version of GO 4 will always be the gold standard, with the best programming. Get a $319 regular P4P RC and the new $300 iPad, and you'll thank me later!
Sorry to hear that you had such a time with the P4P+. I have found the right mix of aircraft and controller firmware makes all the difference and I've had a rock solid experience with the older .509 FW.

Thanks for the advice !! ... but what about my original question?
"In your experience, can you successfully and reliably use Ver. 1.2.0.0 firmware loaded in the +RC with Ver. 01.03.0509 firmware loaded in the P4P AC?"
Sorry, I thought that was clear. I have absolutely no idea of anything regarding the buggy P4P+ setup, using the RC+. I haven't owned a P4P+ In over a year. I returned it in January, long before 1.03.0509 was released (in May). The P4P+ RC runs a completely customized RC FW, which includes a unique buggy Android version of GO 4, not used by any other Android tablet. All the DJI CS tablets have the same issue. Hopefully, another current P4P+ owner can help you.:cool:

Sorry to hear that you had such a time with the P4P+. I have found the right mix of aircraft and controller firmware makes all the difference and I've had a rock solid experience with the older .509 FW.
Glad to hear it. It certainly showed promise. The aircraft FW was never the problem, as it is identical to the P4P, since the aircraft is the same. I also couldn't get used to the tiny screen, after being spoiled by a full sized 9.7" iPad Pro, which runs the gold standard iOS version of GO 4, which is updated frequently, by much better programmers than any Android GO 4 version.:cool:

Don't you have trouble seeing the iPad screen in bright sunlight? The Plus RC has a super bright screen for outdoor use to help mitigate that. That is what attracted me towards purchasing it and the fact that I didn't have to buy yet another piece of electronics that added considerably more money and some controller lag to the equation. If they could just work out the bugs in the stripped-down version that is used on the Plus controller.

Reactions: Timinator
Don't you have trouble seeing the iPad screen in bright sunlight? The Plus RC has a super bright screen for outdoor use to help mitigate that. That is what attracted me towards purchasing it and the fact that I didn't have to buy yet another piece of electronics that added considerably more money and some controller lag to the equation. If they could just work out the bugs in the stripped-down version that is used on the Plus controller.
Hmmm. I haven't noticed any controller lag on my P4P. How do you suppose that would happen considering the technology in both the P4P & P4P+ have tablets connected to the controller? It's not like the P4P+ built in tablet is somehow connecting faster to the RC. It's just an android tablet that's been attached.

Hmmm. I haven't noticed any controller lag on my P4P. How do you suppose that would happen considering the technology in both the P4P & P4P+ have tablets connected to the controller? It's not like the P4P+ built in tablet is somehow connecting faster to the RC. It's just an android tablet that's been attached.
The difference lies in not needing any communications interface (the cable and associated electronics at each end) since it is a direct connection from the android device into the RC electronics internally. They have verified there is a definite delay when using an external tablet / phone as the input / display device compared to the + device. That is why it would be VERY prudent for DJI to correct any "buggyness" out of their "skeleton" Android OS load / GO 4 in the + RC.

I only fly during the golden hours for optimal lighting, so it's rarely an issue. If I need shade, I bring along an umbrella or throw a black cloth over my head.

The difference lies in not needing any communications interface (the cable and associated electronics at each end) since it is a direct connection from the android device into the RC electronics internally. They have verified there is a definite delay when using an external tablet / phone as the input / display device compared to the + device. That is why it would be VERY prudent for DJI to correct any "buggyness" out of their "skeleton" Android OS load / GO 4 in the + RC.
The lag is grossly exaggerated, as is the benefit of the only marginally brighter 1000 nit P4P+ screen. Prudence has never been DJI's driving force. The P4P+ was the beta for all four of the CS monitors, and they are just as buggy and still no bigger than an iPad Mini at best! Same second string of Android team of developers, compared to the superior iOS team of developers, that are on the top of their game!

The lag is grossly exaggerated, as is the benefit of the only marginally brighter 1000 nit P4P+ screen. Prudence has never been DJI's driving force. The P4P+ was the beta for all four of the CS monitors, and they are just as buggy and still no bigger than an iPad Mini at best! Same second string of Android team of developers, compared to the superior iOS team of developers, that are on the top of their game!
I used to think the ipad mini 4 was about ideal except for the brightness. Then I got a crystalsky and was hooked on the brightness factor. Yes - you have to learn the android best practices to minimize potential of a disconnect and the maps are wack, but that bright screen was awesome. Now I'm seeing the ipad pros with about 600 nits are probably bright enough without having to put up with the android go-app quirks.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
What is the recommended iPad Pro config to use for this purpose? Size?, Storage?

Does anyone with a P4P+ RC know if you can you successfully and reliably use Ver. 1.2.0.0 firmware loaded in the +RC while using Ver. 01.03.0509 firmware loaded in the P4P AC?

I used to think the ipad mini 4 was about ideal except for the brightness. Then I got a crystalsky and was hooked on the brightness factor. Yes - you have to learn the android best practices to minimize potential of a disconnect and the maps are wack, but that bright screen was awesome. Now I'm seeing the ipad pros with about 600 nits are probably bright enough without having to put up with the android go-app quirks.
Indeed! :cool:

I would prefer to find out if someone else has found it to be successful first ... just saying ;-)
Their definition of successful may not be yours. Everyone said there was no problem with the 4K 60fps P4P video, yet I had a problem with it on 11 different P4P's with video glitches at least once a minute. Turns out I was the only one using 4096x2160 4K 60fps, while everyone else was using the default 3840x2160 4K 60fps. Problem was never fixed. I switched to 3840x2160 4K 60fps and no more glitches! :rolleyes: Even if someone says it doesn't work for them doesn't mean it won't work for you. If someone says it works for them, it doesn't mean it will work for you. Only you can say what works for you. :cool:

Bottom line is will it work at all or is it a combination of firmware that is incompatible? I would be willing to start there. Obviously I don't want a combination that may work initially before flight but that will be so unstable when in the air that safe flight is not possible. I am just curious if anyone has run this combination in flight with "normal" responses from the controller being observed. If you look at the "compatibility list" from DJI as to what firmware version in the AC works optimally with what firmware version in the RC and RC+, this combination is not even listed ... so, I am simply asking if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

Bottom line is will it work at all or is it a combination of firmware that is incompatible? I would be willing to start there. Obviously I don't want a combination that may work initially before flight but that will be so unstable when in the air that safe flight is not possible. I am just curious if anyone has run this combination in flight with "normal" responses from the controller being observed. If you look at the "compatibility list" from DJI as to what firmware version in the AC works optimally with what firmware version in the RC and RC+, this combination is not even listed ... so, I am simply asking if anyone has tried it and what the results were.
I suggest you start another thread with your question. Anyone with that knowledge won't be reading this thread.

It is looking more and more that we probably won't see anything better than '509' from DJI for the P4P+ in the future.
Was the problem of dropped frames on the file split fixed before or after 509?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z