New firmware practically "bricked" my Phantom 4 – “thank you” DJI…

They have a brilliant marketing team and a well set up network who will spread the good word for them. It's not what you know, or what you can make these days, but who you know and how you can spin your product that earn big dollars now days.

Reactions: Riker
Maybe its time for some "Feedback" to their CEO if he cares.

Does anyone have a contact into the DJI executive team - even the minion that runs the US farce would be a start.

I bought a P4P+ in December 2016. The aircraft flew perfectly until January when an Air Encoder Error (0x20) grounded the aircraft. It was returned to DJI Santa Clara after a long diagnosis, denial by DJI that there could be a problem and multiple arguments on the phone. I received a replacement aircraft (a refurb unit with a different s/n) at the end of MAY and I flew it briefly to check things out.

No problems at all.

Except that it had been in DJI's pile of broken junk for 3 months. Why?

With the replacement refurb now on the workbench, the controller reported that a firmware update was required, so I did that. This is a P4P+ with the DJI screen built into the controller and updates are via the Assistant app.

The aircraft then reported a firmware update was required, so I did that.

This is what I see now:
View attachment 85754View attachment 85753View attachment 85752

After the updates - which were attempted multiple times, the system still seems to want an update.

So after another round of arguments the bricked refurb was sent back to DJI's blackhole repair center. That was a month ago. A third replacement from DJI is expected sometime in the next three months. Meantime I fly Yuneec, Pixhawk and 3DR aircraft without any issues.

Pretty much any other company on the planet has a functioning customer support system. Or at least products that work. DJI seems to have neither.

I understand. This is my last DJI product. I don't or can afford all of this grief. I buy a Ford truck and Ford doesn't tell me how and where to drive it.

Reactions: JWH and Riker
I understand. This is my last DJI product. I don't or can afford all of this grief. I buy a Ford truck and Ford doesn't tell me how and where to drive it.

The other manufacturers must really be loving all of this :) Their once competitor is now their salesman. Great job DJI :)

Doing the update now and it's been stuck at 100% for a while not giving me the "success" icon with the check mark. What do I do in this case?

I have the exact same problem, but my guess is that is has something to do with the Go app. Because when the gimbal crashes and the app says no signal the Phantom is still in full control. I can just keep on flying and nothing strange happens when the app recovers.

Doing the update now and it's been stuck at 100% for a while not giving me the "success" icon with the check mark. What do I do in this case?

Its bricked like everyone eles's. Send it back.

Just disconnect everything and shut everything down completely and then power it up as if you were going to fly. Should be OK. It usually gives that message at 99% for some reason.

I have always played on the side of caution when it comes to technology, and it has paid off many times. I wanted to update my android not 3 to a note 7, and I waited. You all know how that turned out. Same thing with my P4. Sure, I like the new features and upgrades that were advertised like the horizon fix, tripod feature, and the bug fixes. But I waited. Thankfully too. I see the notifications when I start up to upgrade the firmware, but it goes away quickly. Unless DJI hacks it's way into my drone and forces the update (which in this country is illegal and would be the trigger for a massive class action law suit that would bankrupt the company) I will not be updating my P4 anytime soon.

Also, it looks like DJI has no interest in the stock market, and there are no leaks about it that I can find (HOW TO BUY DJI DRONE STOCK IPO). And its no wonder. See reports from resources like DJI (company) - Wikipedia. Back in 2015 DJI reportedly had upwards of 75% of the world market for UAV aircraft. By the end of 2016, this number dropped to 50%.

Unless DJI wises up, they will likely be hurting or selling what is left of the business by the end of 2018.

Reactions: JWH
I have always played on the side of caution when it comes to technology, and it has paid off many times. I wanted to update my android not 3 to a note 7, and I waited. You all know how that turned out. Same thing with my P4. Sure, I like the new features and upgrades that were advertised like the horizon fix, tripod feature, and the bug fixes. But I waited. Thankfully too. I see the notifications when I start up to upgrade the firmware, but it goes away quickly. Unless DJI hacks it's way into my drone and forces the update (which in this country is illegal and would be the trigger for a massive class action law suit that would bankrupt the company) I will not be updating my P4 anytime soon.

Also, it looks like DJI has no interest in the stock market, and there are no leaks about it that I can find (HOW TO BUY DJI DRONE STOCK IPO). And its no wonder. See reports from resources like DJI (company) - Wikipedia. Back in 2015 DJI reportedly had upwards of 75% of the world market for UAV aircraft. By the end of 2016, this number dropped to 50%.

Unless DJI wises up, they will likely be hurting or selling what is left of the business by the end of 2018.

They are history with this attitude of take it or leave it and you have to fly by our rules. Time for a new Sheriff to be in town. No more for me. I can't deal with this nonsense. That goes for the commercial end as well.

One year ago I’ve bought Phantom 4. Two days ago I’ve upgraded firmware to newest version. Before upgrade drone was flying without issues. Unfortunately after upgrade there are serious malfunctions. The drone is practically inoperable.

The most important issues:
After several seconds in air there is “broken” connection (video) error message on tab. The app reports weak transmission signal warning. The signal strength indicators (both control and video link channels) are full, but in a moment there is blank screen instead of normal image. In this moment recording stops and does not resume automatically. Then (very often) gimbal moves to strange position – view on landing leg or red position light. When it happens sometimes it slowly goes back to its correct position, sometimes I have to land and restart to correct camera position. These issues occur even when drone flies few meters from me!
The other problems are: IMU calibrate warning, sudden, unexpected rapid movements even in just hovering. Communicates about strong wind even when there is practically no wind.

Before upgrade drone was flying fine in various weather, even when there was strong wind there were no problems at all! Yesterday the weather was lovely, and I had plenty problems mentioned above.
DJI have released crappy firmware which is completely untested and makes many problems – not just me, a lot of people have reported this same issues. And despite this reports DJI don’t care. DJI are pretend that there is no problem! They are unable to admit to make mistake. This is f****ng joke not serious company!

I have paid a lot of money – not to have a drone to working as child toy from dollarstoe.

Short clip showing one of problems:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/c3f9so0gar05er1/new_fw_problem.mov
Everything you have experienced happened to me yesterday, I was filling some unusual cloud formations in a steady hover, when the drone just rotated 720 degrees at dull speed then returned to normal. All the symptoms of weak image, green screen, disconnection, whilst showing full signal, also occurred. Luckily it returned to home.

Reactions: vekthor
I was stuck at 99% too. I turned everything off and closed the app. Turned everything back on (remote first), and the app told me to update the remote software. After that, everything seems to be back to normal.
I got really worried for a bit, let's hope the test flights go well.

Test flights feedback: crappy video connection, same as you. Gimbal goes crazy too at times. Makes the use of the drone extremely difficult. It sucks when it is your business tool. I hope DJI issues a patch QUICKLY!!!

I will research how to revert to the previous firmware asap. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi everyone this is what happened to my P4 after this latest firmware updates. Flew a few times gimbal was not stable landed my P4. Flew one more time and camera was stable. But the following day I encountered this "camera sensor error and a hardware issue Contact DJI for repairs. Hmmm not good. Have to send my P4 back to DJI since mine is still under warranty. Only had my P4 for 5 months.
2ab614e435e805d05cfb6e057e4b5699.jpg
b15f70066167fb7541c2d2c445d9c28c.jpg

I contacted DJI, there nothing that they can do to solve it other then repair it in one of theire repair centres. Also there is no way do downgrade to an older firmware. Got my phantom for a full 3 weeks! Thanks DJI.

Reactions: Ricky J.
Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I’ve been watching for some time thread mentioned by Ryanmanchester and today I’ve downgraded the firmware and this evening I’ll test the drone again. I’ll let you know how it’s behave afterwards, but for now everything looks fine (like before the upgrade)!!!

DJI is telling bull**it, the tried to convince me that downgrade won’t help in my case and refused to help to perform it. It’s sad, that other pilots are more helpful than employees of manufacturer who take money for their so called job…

They have a brilliant marketing team and a well set up network who will spread the good word for them. It's not what you know, or what you can make these days, but who you know and how you can spin your product that earn big dollars now days.

I totally agree… They give expensive gifts to famous Youtubers and they receive enthusiastic reviews in response, but when something is wrong after sale the paying customer is left alone… Good thing there are forums like this :)

Reactions: Blueline308

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl