New DIJ Phantom3 owner questions

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a DIJ Phantom 3 standard.I've seen posts where it was advised to put the tablet or phone being used in airplane mode to combat interference.Won't this kill telemetry and video downlink?
Also I do not have an ipad,I am using a samsung S5 note and a nvidia shield tablet.
I've read the Dji pilot app is not optimised for android.Does the tablet or phone being used have any effect on wifi range?
I had heard a pilot got over 5000 feet using the Asus zenpad but I had already received my nvidia shield.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Thomas

No, the tablet, or phone, cannot be in airplane mode. A wifi link from that device is necessary to use the DJI Go app, and to receive video, so wifi must be active. If you wish, you can turn on Airplane Mode, which stops both wifi, and mobile networks, and then restart just the wifi, because the phone cellular mobile network is not necessary for drone operation. But in any case, the wifi must be on.

The DJI Go app works just fine with with Android. I use a Galaxy Note 5 with no problems at all. However, the Android device has nothing to do with drone range. The Android device only communicates with the remote controller in your hand. The remote controller handles all communication with the drone.

There are many ongoing efforts to improve range with new antennas and amplifiers for the controller, and some for the drone too. There are mixed results and trade-offs though. You should know there is no free lunch. Antennas with more directivity (gain) will improve range, but will generally require more attention to antenna pointing. For a new user, I'd recommend using the stock configuration for awhile, to characterize the baseline performance, before considering the mods for improving range.

Reactions: Marnat3
No, the tablet, or phone, cannot be in airplane mode. A wifi link from that device is necessary to use the DJI Go app, and to receive video, so wifi must be active. If you wish, you can turn on Airplane Mode, which stops both wifi, and mobile networks, and then restart just the wifi, because the phone cellular mobile network is not necessary for drone operation. But in any case, the wifi must be on.

The DJI Go app works just fine with with Android. I use a Galaxy Note 5 with no problems at all. However, the Android device has nothing to do with drone range. The Android device only communicates with the remote controller in your hand. The remote controller handles all communication with the drone.

There are many ongoing efforts to improve range with new antennas and amplifiers for the controller, and some for the drone too. There are mixed results and trade-offs though. You should know there is no free lunch. Antennas with more directivity (gain) will improve range, but will generally require more attention to antenna pointing. For a new user, I'd recommend using the stock configuration for awhile, to characterize the baseline performance, before considering the mods for improving range.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl