Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Need some tips on Protune

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by knuckles, Dec 9, 2014.

1. knuckles

I have been using my Gopro 3+ black at 1080p 30fps for video. I just tried Protune with the settings below and once I have the video file the color of course isn't great. I'm lost in the art of color correction and the other finishing steps. I use Adobe Premiere Elements 12 for my video editing.

I did try some auto-adjustments with color and the other settings in premiere and I didn't think they looked that great at all. I guess I'm asking if anyone can point me to a good tutorial on how to use Protune with color correction and the other finishing steps. If it's in Adobe Premiere that would be even better. I'm a bit lost with this right now.

These are the Protune settings I tried:
    2.7K, 25FPS, Medium field of view, Protune On, Medium sharpen, white balance (I think this was set to Auto on my GoPro. I thought of changing to Camera Raw but I left it at default)

I mostly shoot landscapes, scenery etc.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

2. careysb

Tried Protune and decided to back to non-protune

I started out with the original non-protune settings and I mostly liked the color it came up with but felt there was too much in the way of compression artifacts. So, I switched to Protune. The compression artifacts were mostly gone but now the color was flat. I tried to adjust it in Premier Pro but by the time I got the color to a place that was similar to the non-protune colors there was a lot of color noise that shimmered as it played back. In the end I gave up and went back to non-protune.

3. malibusteve70

I love Protune. Here are a couple videos I shot in protune then color graded the style I wanted. Magic bullet looks (plugin for premiere) helps as you can adjust a lot of different aspects. Let me know what you think about the grading

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYNuJgAgGwg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZVZFII7FM[/youtube]

4. knuckles

Yeah those look good along with other vids I know people used Protune on. I'll just have to spend some time learning and practicing with it when I have the time. I don't know if I'm limited because I have Adobe Premiere Elements 2012 instead of "Pro" or not. I just need to go through some tutorials and spend some time with it I guess.

5. malibusteve70

You are definitely limited with elements. Pro supersedes it 10 fold, imo. I can help you a little if you had pro.

6. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

You have to learn about color grading to make the most of Protune. It has a learning curve but once you get the gist of it, you'll be very pleased with it.

7. knuckles

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll just get an Adobe subscription to get access to the Pro versions and start the learning process. For sure I don't want to be limited by my software so I think it's time for the upgrade.
    I've been happy so far with what I've been able to do with my videos but am looking for something more like I have seen from some of the experts.

I just bought some lens filters, cp and nd. I have issues with sun glare like everyone else. Especially with desert flying I see the sun causes colors to look washed out. I want to have good color in the sky etc. when there's not too much color anyway in desert landscapes.

8. Zoeconner

Have you guys tried color grading in gopro software. Turn on protune and check it out. It's a good start.

9. knuckles

I haven't tried it but I will spend some time with it since I already have it installed and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the tip I hadn't thought of it.