Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Need Help for filming at night

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by rodgadala, Oct 27, 2015.

1. rodgadala

Hello guys , as you can read in the tittle i need help filming at night im trying to record a video of a building that lights up but i keep getting alot of noise. and when i edit it with neat video it still looks noisy so i figured out maybe i need to fiddle with the settings abit

2. olof Ekbergh

I would not use auto exposure. I never do, I always use the histogram an look on the iPad to set exposure.
    If you shoot 30p then you can set shutter speed to 1/30 and then increase the iso until the histogram looks good, and the picture of course. There are lots of articles on the web about how to use a histogram for exposure.
    Using 1/30 instead of 1/60 is a one stop brighter setting, the down side is fast moves will smear a bit, so be slow and deliberate in your moves/pans.
    If you have an ND filter on the camera remove it.
    That is all you can do.
    This is not a great low light camera, it gets noisy when you boost the gain (up the iso).

SilverStone641 likes this.
  3. happydays

Another way I found to get around this with my old V+ was to film at dusk, not when it was completely dark. The snow was reduced considerably, but the clip looked like it was filmed at midnight.