Need help choosing a DSLR

Reaction score
Hi , I am in need of some advise on purchasing a DSLR.

The camera will be used very specifically for one job which will be indoor automotive pictures. The area is lit by flouresent light tubes so I know reflections will be an issue. I don't have much room to play around with so will need to be quite wide angled to get a full shot of the car/truck.

Preferably I would like the camera to be as user friendly as possible because there will sometimes be inexperienced photographers needing to use it.

Also will I need any filters, like a polariser for instance?

I have attached a photo of the environment which may help.

Budget isn't much of a problem, nothing rediculous though

Thanks in advance
ef7b297eccb65aa871e67a5a3130672f.jpg

It's hard to go wrong with most modern DSLRs. Safe bet with Nikon or Canon, even their cheapest offerings with a good F1.8 lens will be nice in low light.

Hi , I am in need of some advise on purchasing a DSLR.

The camera will be used very specifically for one job which will be indoor automotive pictures. The area is lit by flouresent light tubes so I know reflections will be an issue. I don't have much room to play around with so will need to be quite wide angled to get a full shot of the car/truck.

Preferably I would like the camera to be as user friendly as possible because there will sometimes be inexperienced photographers needing to use it.

Also will I need any filters, like a polariser for instance?

I have attached a photo of the environment which may help.

Budget isn't much of a problem, nothing rediculous though

Thanks in advance
ef7b297eccb65aa871e67a5a3130672f.jpg

Why not stop by a camera shop and ask for advice as they would be better equipped to answer all questions then you'll find here.

There are a lot of options based on what style of look you are going for, and also for what purpose the photography is.

Camera-wise, any RAW file format capable dslr will suffice, like a Canon rebel or something like that. Of course, going up on the camera model lineup will provide you with more shooting options and possibly better dynamic range, which is an important factor to consider.

Based on your picture, I think I would try using a 35mm or 24mm lens. I would recommend getting the best prime (fixed focal length) lens your budget allows. Going too wide, like 16mm, will distort the car in an unattractive way (my opinion).

The third thing to consider is lighting. The black Rover has curves and edges that are designed to flow with the vehicle and provide distinct character and aesthetics. In your photo, however, much of that detail is lost to harsh lighting and reflections. Black cars can be hard to photograph, but take down the banners, close the garage door, turn off the fluorescent lights and instead, hold up some long white sheets above the car and bounce a strobe flash off of it, and you will begin to really capture the smooth lines and surfaces. Another option is getting some soft boxes and setting them up for lighting. With lighting, and with cars, bigger is usually better, so I'd try to get the biggest soft boxes I can, and put them as close to the vehicle as I can without getting them in the shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka