Need Advise - Best Option for FPV Goggles

I have been happy with my Headplay goggles but only after adding:

RHO-Lens – The Leader in HD FPV Lenses

I wear glasses for reading and distance, once I added the above lenses I don't wear my glasses any longer. Also the RHO lenses have been improved since my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yep, I too had the Headplays WITH the RHO lens but when I got my Glyph it was a revelation - No bulky things stuck on my head and I know whats going on around me, I can now look up for LOS and look down to control my RC and look ahead for FPV. The image is absolutely pin sharp - better than my Ipad air2 and superb colours. The rules now in most countries is you HAVE to have LOS (or a spotter) so these type of goggles will become the necessity if you want to FPV.

Oh dam...I just watched their video! I wish I saw them before I got the Headplay!

Thanks wrathofkhan for the recommendation now I'll have to get a set....I just won't tell my wife!

They look great and I love the adjustablity for prescriptions!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

UPDATE: First let me thank each one of you for taking the time to respond with suggestions and opinions. I purchased an IPad Pro 9.7 and it does well but when watching the playback at the same time using the record screen versus the computer SD Card from the P4 the difference is huge. I am using Litchie which is a great program but I do not have the resolution to pick out power lines and trees in an effective manner on the IPad, sun glare is killer as well.

Taking the suggestion from alokbhargava I ordered an HDMI module which should be here on Friday. The first question is, can I use the IPad Pro 9.7 with the HDMI port from the RC and get better resolution? If so, do I need a special cord?

Now I'm back to the original question for the post, I'm looking for googles so I can delete the glare from the sun or the reflection from my shirt, unless you have an option for the IPad. I do need reading glasses for anything up close and I like a large field of vision, thus the IPad but the glare cuts down my ability to see the details which are necessary for some of the flying I'm doing.

Thanks for your help and taking the time to assist a new flyer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

UPDATE: First let me thank each one of you for taking the time to respond with suggestions and opinions. I purchased an IPad Pro 9.7 and it does well but when watching the playback at the same time using the record screen versus the computer SD Card from the P4 the difference is huge. I am using Litchie which is a great program but I do not have the resolution to pick out power lines and trees in an effective manner on the IPad, sun glare is killer as well.

Taking the suggestion from alokbhargava I ordered an HDMI module which should be here on Friday. The first question is, can I use the IPad Pro 9.7 with the HDMI port from the RC and get better resolution? If so, do I need a special cord?

Now I'm back to the original question for the post, I'm looking for googles so I can delete the glare from the sun or the reflection from my shirt, unless you have an option for the IPad. I do need reading glasses for anything up close and I like a large field of vision, thus the IPad but the glare cuts down my ability to see the details which are necessary for some of the flying I'm doing.

Thanks for your help and taking the time to assist a new flyer.

I have the IPAD air 2 and I live in Australia (much strong sun) and unless I chuck a towel or something over my head and RC it is pretty useless for flying using the screen. The playback of your flying from the IPAD would be in 720p I believe ( Actually, maybe even less) and if your SD card is recording in say 4k of course there will be a massive difference.
The output from the DJI HDMI Module is still only 720p so it would make little difference to what you see on your IPAD if you use that output, and of course , you will ONLY see the FPV screen.
If you get a high quality goggles IMHO the Glyph is the very best, the video quality you will see from the HDMI module would be superior to what you see on the IPAD because the Glyph's actually quality is like 1080p with NO pixels whatsoever.

May I add that the only reason for fitting the HDMI module is for either FPV, or watching on another monitor that has a HDMI input and set to 720p or perhaps auto.

Hope this answers yor questions.

John

I took the plunge last night and ordered the Glyph, should be here on Friday. Thank you John, Grant, alokbhargava and all the others that took the time to reply back with your post. Once I get the module (also a Friday delivery) and the Glyph's and put them into service on Friday I will write a review. I did see where on the P4 the gimbal will follow your up and down head movement, fingers crossed it will work on mine, that would be great.

Now the next question, I watched the youtube video on the Part 54 installation, looks simple enough, anything I should watch out for in the module installation?

Second question, once the module is installed do I need to make any adjustments in the software of the RC?

Third, any advise on setting up the Glyph's (fit, eye adjustment, software)?

Fourth, any setup changes to Litchi software/menu changes?

Fifth and the last for now, any powering up sequence procedures I need to follow?

Thanks again for all your advice and help, I truly do appreciate it.

I took the plunge last night and ordered the Glyph, should be here on Friday. Thank you John, Grant, alokbhargava and all the others that took the time to reply back with your post. Once I get the module (also a Friday delivery) and the Glyph's and put them into service on Friday I will write a review.
I'll be interested to see your review. I have noted that Avegant states that the Glyphs only accomodate vision adjustments between +1 and -7 diopters. Average correction for someone over about 40 is +2.4 and Avegant has said that that much presbyopia likely won't allow for them to be useable. Please let us know what the image looks like for you since you can't wear your reading glasses with the Glyphs, and what your near correction is on your reading glasses.

Reactions: BoydBros
I took the plunge last night and ordered the Glyph, should be here on Friday. Thank you John, Grant, alokbhargava and all the others that took the time to reply back with your post. Once I get the module (also a Friday delivery) and the Glyph's and put them into service on Friday I will write a review. I did see where on the P4 the gimbal will follow your up and down head movement, fingers crossed it will work on mine, that would be great.

Now the next question, I watched the youtube video on the Part 54 installation, looks simple enough, anything I should watch out for in the module installation?

Second question, once the module is installed do I need to make any adjustments in the software of the RC?

Third, any advise on setting up the Glyph's (fit, eye adjustment, software)?

Fourth, any setup changes to Litchi software/menu changes?

Fifth and the last for now, any powering up sequence procedures I need to follow?

Thanks again for all your advice and help, I truly do appreciate it.

Hi Big Hammer,
When changing the module be very careful with the 3 circuit strips (dont forget to lift the clips holding them in) when taking out of holders and especially when inserting into new module, make sure they are pushed fully home and locked back in.

You need to go into the Go app and allow the HDMI to work.

I found by experience that the best way to setup the Glyph is to download the Glyph app onto your IPAD or Smartphone and register it as well as using the instructions to setup on the app,,, they are better and a bit more detailed than the written instructions in the box thereby getting a better result.

I cannot help you with litchi and to be honest from what I have seen I prefer the FPV screen that the Go app produces but let me know what you think.

Just fire up as normal and plug in the Glyph at any time, I never have a problem.

Have Fun

John

Will do John, I hope to spend extensive time testing on Friday and this weekend. I will try and keep notes on first impression along with use on each operational platform (Litchi, Go App). I really appreciate your feedback knowing my situation needing reading glasses and what I'm trying to accomplish. The P4 is my first drone, I've had it for a couple of weeks and really love flying again. As you notice I'm not young anymore but living the life I have chosen and drone flying is great.

Thanks again.

Bart

Glyph will be $399 during Black Friday sale on avegant.com with discount code BLACKFRIDAY from Friday Nov 25 to Mon 28. That means a discount of $150.

alokbhargave: Great to know, you may have saved me $150, I wrote Grant an email and will follow up with a call on Friday to see if they will cut me a break. Bad news on the Part 54 HDMI Module, it won't be delivered until Monday, Amazon Prime broke their promise.

John: I wonder if I can plug the HDMI cord from the Glyph directly into the P4 and see through the Glyph since I won't have my module until Monday? I could walk around outside carrying the P4 and get an idea how they will do if it will work.

MacCool: I will write a detailed review and see how they work my vision issue, I use a +1.5 reading glasses. I'm hoping +1. will get me close enough.

Thanks again for all your help gentlemen.

Bart

alokbhargave: Great to know, you may have saved me $150, I wrote Grant an email and will follow up with a call on Friday to see if they will cut me a break. Bad news on the Part 54 HDMI Module, it won't be delivered until Monday, Amazon Prime broke their promise.

John: I wonder if I can plug the HDMI cord from the Glyph directly into the P4 and see through the Glyph since I won't have my module until Monday? I could walk around outside carrying the P4 and get an idea how they will do if it will work.

MacCool: I will write a detailed review and see how they work my vision issue, I use a +1.5 reading glasses. I'm hoping +1. will get me close enough.

Thanks again for all your help gentlemen.

Bart

Have been away so sorry for lack of response, You cannot plug the HDMI into the aircraft - no HDMI.
Yep, I am retired so apart from High End Audio this is a great and interesting pastime.

John

John: I received the HDMI Module Monday night, installed it Tuesday morning, went to hook it up and found out I screwed up and ordered the wrong HDMI cable. Picking up HDMI cable today but rain will prevent flying today, hope to get a chance to fly on Thursday.

I will provide Part One Review, a first impression of the Glyph since I have had a chance to use them watching youtube videos and I have learned a great deal on fit and comfort of wearing. After reading the reviews online there seemed to be three groups of users/owners, the first being travelers who gave the Glyph's an average 50% rating based on comfortableness during long term wearing such as watching a movie on an air flight. The second group (much smaller - 2 users) were the gamers who gave the Glyph a very poor rating and the third group was drone owner/users who loved them.

First impression starts before the sale and follows up after the sale and its all centered on CUSTOMER SERVICE. Avegant knows this and has focused on exceeding customer expectations by employing people that believe in the product and care about customer satisfaction. I reached out to Grant via Phantom Pilots website before I purchased with some questions, he answered within a couple of hours, that means he is involved in our community which is great for product support and development. I ordered the Glyph's that night from Avegant's Amazon site and then a day later Alokbhargava informed me of Avegant's Black Friday sale which would save me $150 on the purchase from the day before. I wrote both Grant and Avegant's Customer Service Thanksgiving morning and I was shocked that a few hours later both Grant and Tori from Avegant's Customer Service replied and said they would credit my credit card and honor the Black Friday special pricing, on Friday I received the confirmation email from Tori the credit was posted.

I received the Glyph on Friday night after 1.5 bottles of wine and immediately put them on charge for the battery and began watching Youtube videos. They became very uncomfortable after 20 minutes of wearing and having consumed the wine on an empty stomach I was a little dizzy watching through the Glyph's.

The next morning was a total different experience, I downloaded the app and updated the firmware for the Glyph. I followed the instructions from the Glyph website on proper selection of the nose piece and all the adjustments available to make the Glyph's comfortable and focused perfect for the users eyes. I do wear reading glasses with a +1.5 magnification and the Glyphs were able to adjust the focus perfectly. I took my time as instructed and watched several 30 minute videos before finally selecting the most comfortable nose piece and settings. The end result is I found the Glyph's very comfortable to wear and enjoyed watching the videos with them.

Part 2 of the review will be flying the P4 using the Glyph and from what I have read they will exceed my expectations. Fingers crossed we can fly tomorrow after this rain passes.

Part Two of the Review: I had a chance to fly the P4 with the Glyph's and all I can say is this is the only way to fly. Very bright display that is fully adjustable, much higher resolution than the iPad Pro 9.7 and in watching both of them at the same time the HDMI feed from the RC is faster than the USB feed from the RC to the iPad.

In describing comfortableness wearing, I spent over an hour when I first got the Glyph's to select the proper nose piece and adjustments to make them comfortable before I had the opportunity to use them for flying. I flew both batteries, one after the other without taking off the Glyph's and I will tell you they were just as comfortable when I took them off as they were when I put them on.

I do enjoy being able to glance down and see where were at on the iPad and I do love the Glyph's heads up telemetry. Avegant customer service is by far the best I have dealt with in the last several years.
The feeling of being in the cockpit and turning my head before turning my bird is a bad habit I need to overcome flying drones but this is by far the coolest thing I have had since leaving the cockpit.

The only changes I would make is ordering the Glyph's the day I purchased the Phantom 4. Five star review from this owner/user, I love them and would highly recommend them to any Drone pilot.

Part Two of the Review: I had a chance to fly the P4 with the Glyph's and all I can say is this is the only way to fly. Very bright display that is fully adjustable, much higher resolution than the iPad Pro 9.7 and in watching both of them at the same time the HDMI feed from the RC is faster than the USB feed from the RC to the iPad.

In describing comfortableness wearing, I spent over an hour when I first got the Glyph's to select the proper nose piece and adjustments to make them comfortable before I had the opportunity to use them for flying. I flew both batteries, one after the other without taking off the Glyph's and I will tell you they were just as comfortable when I took them off as they were when I put them on.

I do enjoy being able to glance down and see where were at on the iPad and I do love the Glyph's heads up telemetry. Avegant customer service is by far the best I have dealt with in the last several years.
The feeling of being in the cockpit and turning my head before turning my bird is a bad habit I need to overcome flying drones but this is by far the coolest thing I have had since leaving the cockpit.

The only changes I would make is ordering the Glyph's the day I purchased the Phantom 4. Five star review from this owner/user, I love them and would highly recommend them to any Drone pilot.

Hi Bart,
Glad it is all working good for you. As I said, the Glyph are the best FPV goggles out there and the customer service is the best there is from my experience.
Previously I tried the Fat Shark but settled on the Headplay as they were better graphically,,, BUT it was a revelation when I got my Glyph, It was so much better in so many ways.

I found the nose pieces are all different, I settled on one size and then much later I found another size better so they are a work in progress.

The only slight improvement would be a greater FOV, not that the current size is a problem.

Have you tried using Lichi yet?.

Happy Flying

John

I have a Phantom 4 and would like to make a purchase on a FPV Goggles that will help me fly much better among the trees in the mountains. I'm presently using an iPhone 6S and is a challenge to say the least. I have looked at the following:
FatShark Dominator HD3 FPV Goggles
Zeiss VR ONE FPV

Any other suggestions or advise? Thanks for your time.
Without a doubt -- Headplay HD PPV goggles... for several reasons:
1. Cheaper.... about $250 Has 5.8ghz reciever and a HDMI input
2. I wear glasses. Can still use the Headplay even with glasses on.
3. I also bought a 3rd party updated lens from RHO. All goggles I have seen are
based on a 7" focal point (hard for older folks). The updated lens (about $35) goes inside
the Headplay and changes this to a 16" focal point that makes the display crystal clear.
4. The Headplay is 1080 instead of 720. Much better detail.

Just make sure you are getting the HD model with the HDMI jack. There is a cheaper (about $150) model that has composite video but not hdmi. You will need the HDMI modification ($100) from DJI (and use a "c to c" hdmi cable between the controller and the Headplay)

Without a doubt -- Headplay HD PPV goggles... for several reasons:
1. Cheaper.... about $250 Has 5.8ghz reciever and a HDMI input
2. I wear glasses. Can still use the Headplay even with glasses on.
3. I also bought a 3rd party updated lens from RHO. All goggles I have seen are
based on a 7" focal point (hard for older folks). The updated lens (about $35) goes inside
the Headplay and changes this to a 16" focal point that makes the display crystal clear.
4. The Headplay is 1080 instead of 720. Much better detail.

Just make sure you are getting the HD model with the HDMI jack. There is a cheaper (about $150) model that has composite video but not hdmi. You will need the HDMI modification ($100) from DJI (and use a "c to c" hdmi cable between the controller and the Headplay)

Goggles is a personal choice, FatShark and Headsplay are the basic goggles. There are better Goggles available in the market but they are priced high. Glyph is probably the cheapest. HeadsPlay gets you 1080p on a single monitor whereas Glyph gets you 720 for each eye resulting into much superior quality. All have pluses and minuses. Pickup what best suits you.

Headplay will get you 720p at 1/2 the cost of the FatShark HDs, and you can use your reading glasses under them. Usually. Be aware that you have to buy and add the DJI HDMI module for your transmitter no matter which of the two you decide on.

If you're using Litchi, you might consider one of the simple VR Box type goggles. You can get them for as low at $15 on Amazon and they work surprisingly well. It's cheap place to start if you want to see if goggle FPV flight is for you. Litchi + the goggles can be had for as little at $35.
Hi MacCool:
By chance do you use Litchi?? Was looking at it but didn't know if it was worth the $22. Any advice?

Hi MacCool:
By chance do you use Litchi?? Was looking at it but didn't know if it was worth the $22. Any advice?
I think it is easily worth the $22. I fly using DJI GO only rarely. The ability to fly preset missions that I design on my computer is huge. On those mission, I get smooth video that I just can't match flying by hand. Then there's the abililty to fly FPV with a pair of $15 goggles. Litchi is just about all I fly with. I highly recommend it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl