Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Need Advice:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spoolinup, Jun 7, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. spoolinup

I have my FAA ATP license, just starting to get into drones myself. I do have a few friends that are into drones, and are starting to show me the ropes. However one of my clients that I fly around owns a bunch of car dealerships.

I started talking to him about drones and he said he would hook me up with all of his dealerships. Problem is I want to get into this area, but I really have no experience.

Is it looked down / frowned upon if I contract it out until I can get comfortable enough to do it?

Thanks.

2. Mark The Droner

From what I've read, if you don't have a 333, you can hire somebody to pilot the uav who does have a 333.

3. spoolinup

i applied a month ago, but i haven't received it (nor do i expect to anytime soon).

4. N017RW

This seemed a bit confusing to me:
    The 333 holder and pilot need not be the same person. In fact 333s may be held by non-human entities such as a corporation. The operator can be contracted by the 333 holder but MUST have a Pilot license.

Mark The Droner likes this.
  5. Sagebrush

You're a commercial pilot, don't have a 333 Exemption, and are interesting in doing commercial drone photography work but don't have the drone/camera time that you feel you need for the project so you are considering having someone else fly the photo shoot?

Do I have the situation/question right?

Sagebrush

6. spoolinup

Nail on the head. I want to start learning, but I have lots of clients now that need footage. So my theory is to find someone local, pay them X (fair rate) while I make Y until I get comfortable enough to do some of the work on my own (in addition to getting the 333).

7. Mark The Droner

So a pilot who is employed by the corporation that holds the 333 can fly the uav even though he personally doesn't hold a 333. Okay, I guess that makes some bit of sense....

That makes sense too.

Thanks

8. Sagebrush

I think you've figured out that the operator needs to have a pilots license and the business needs a 333 Exemption. (No 333 and they will pull your ticket).

I'm probably a month out on my 333 exemption and have at least ten commercial video shoots waiting. I had a licensed (333 and private) offer to do the flight/videos for me. I passed since I'm the guy that needs to set the quality bar and I have no idea on what his product would look like.

SB