Neary Aerial or DJI Refresh for Mavic Pro?

Reaction score
Hey,

Just seeing where you're going for insurance/care for your soon to be delivered Mavic Pro. I'm leaning towards Neary because they include water damage. What are you going with and why?

Last edited:
Neary is only a 3 year old company and appears to be run out of the guys house, This is hardly a insurance company, and easily hear today gone tomorrow. Considering insuring drones is a high risk policy for any company that is not associated with the Drone OEM you are simply gambling your $$$ considering the cost is double what DJI's insurance is...

Sure they may be just fine but why risk it...

The fine print of DJI's plan also states that it is only good for the 1st year and can't be renewed after that, so basically you are just buying something a little better than the warranty itself.

I made it through all this time with my P3P, even after all the flyaways, CSC problems, so I'm not bothering purchasing anything extra. Too bad that Costco didn't sell them, as they double your warranty from anything you buy from them.

Check your homeowners policy. I was surprised to find out that mine will cover my Mavic for no additional charge. This include theft, damage, and anything else the manufacturer won't cover.

Check your homeowners policy. I was surprised to find out that mine will cover my Mavic for no additional charge. This include theft, damage, and anything else the manufacturer won't cover.
Did you just call them and have them add it?

I did check into that but my insurance doesn't cover it. Also, I'm concerned about affecting my overall rates on a claim that's barely above my deductible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The fact that DJI Refresh doesn't cover water damage is a deal-breaker for me.

The fact that DJI Refresh doesn't cover water damage is a deal-breaker for me.

If the one that does is not around to cover you that should be equally a problem. I would assume that alot of water damage would be over deep water and likely not easily retrievable anyway, unless you plan on flying in the rain. It is not like the Mav is going to float (my guess it will sink like a rock.... Considering the replace cost is only $799 ( will be lower in a few months) the Neary cost of $200 not such a bargain.

I know it is not a flying machine but I just bought the OSMO+ via Adorama and added a 5 year policy for $89, I would assume it is quite vulnerable for drops.

Keep in mind the Neary policy can be added any time after purchase (even a year later) so why not buy the Bargain Refresh and after that decide if you want the Neary. Just not a fan of a insurance policy named after the last name of the guy selling it out of his house in Kentucky...

If the one that does is not around to cover you that should be equally a problem. I would assume that alot of water damage would be over deep water and likely not easily retrievable anyway, unless you plan on flying in the rain. It is not like the Mav is going to float (my guess it will sink like a rock.... Considering the replace cost is only $799 ( will be lower in a few months) the Neary cost of $200 not such a bargain.

I know it is not a flying machine but I just bought the OSMO+ via Adorama and added a 5 year policy for $89, I would assume it is quite vulnerable for drops.

Keep in mind the Neary policy can be added any time after purchase (even a year later) so why not buy the Bargain Refresh and after that decide if you want the Neary. Just not a fan of a insurance policy named after the last name of the guy selling it out of his house in Kentucky...

Yeah like Steve jobs bill gates etc. those guys worked out of garages to. What low life's.

Yeah like Steve jobs bill gates etc. those guys worked out of garages to. What low life's.

They developed out of they mostly developed in thei Garage or built and ship you product when you paid for it, this is much different you are sending a very unknown entity you funds in trust there is no transfer of goods only paper. This is in-part why there are very strict insurance laws and compliance which are unknown here.

I have no issue with home start up I have ran my company out of my home for 15 years where our average sale is $50,000 plus and we ask people to send us $$$ all the time however we have 15 years under our belt and we intern deliver physical product.

that is a big difference versus give me you $$$ and I will promise in the future to give you more money back in return.

I am no expert in aftermarket warranty/insurance but I would guess insuring drones is a very risky proposition, I get why DJI can as they have the OEM parts available at low cost I wold imagine like most companies the warranty side there is cost already built in to the original purchase price of the Drone, where as the refresh really only covers damage as warranty covers the rest.

I know DJI will be there a year from now the jury is still out on Neary, I buy insurance to limit the risk not potentially increase it

Here is my line of logic:
I had a Neary policy on my Phantom 3, it crashed in spectacular fashion and he had it fixed and back to me in 7 days flat. The guy does good work. That's not to say he may not be here tomorrow, but at $189 it's actually not that much more than the DJI Refresh plan because if you look at the small print doesn't your first replacement cost like $70 bucks? So that brings DJI refresh to $169, with no water damage coverage... Neary is starting to look pretty good in comparison....

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Here is my line of logic:
I had a Neary policy on my Phantom 3, it crashed in spectacular fashion and he had it fixed and back to me in 7 days flat. The guy does good work. That's not to say he may not be here tomorrow, but at $189 it's actually not that much more than the DJI Refresh plan because if you look at the small print doesn't your first replacement cost like $70 bucks? So that brings DJI refresh to $169, with no water damage coverage... Neary is starting to look pretty good in comparison....

I thought it was only $50 either way Yes that is only assuming you do crash, Most will not crash I also assume, otherwise insuring these drones is a losing proposition. I still like the $99 upfront. At the moment with no parts available for the Mavic Neary could be taking big losses with maiden flight crashes and or no warranty issues with the new form factor

Look I am not saying Neary is not without merit just a risk, costly at that if they are not there to honor, so not only are you out the Mav but also your upfront payment. Personally I think deductables is the consumer friendly way.

That's a good point. If you don't end up crashing then deductables is the way to go. I just always assume I will crash o_O

All Neary repairs are done at an authorized DJI Service Center which I believe he lists on his site. Pricing is similar to what some dealers offer too. I agree chances of recovery in water are slim but if I did I'd want it repaired!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not necessarily. Just need to find a good place to mount a GetterBack on the Mavic.

Yeah that's something I was concerned about. The arms look to wide and I'd be worried about it affecting performance there. I'd be interested to see what other people come up with. I always fly my Phantom with a getterback when I'm over water.

Let me tell you something about Neary. Some if not the best customer service I've encountered in a warranty/insurance company. Bent over backwards for me to replace my P3P camera when the SD slot failed. When I bought my new P4 first thing I did was sign up for a P4 contract with Neary. they are GREAT!!!

Let me tell you something about Neary. Some if not the best customer service I've encountered in a warranty/insurance company. Bent over backwards for me to replace my P3P camera when the SD slot failed. When I bought my new P4 first thing I did was sign up for a P4 contract with Neary. they are GREAT!!!

Great first hand feedback! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neary is only a 3 year old company and appears to be run out of the guys house, This is hardly a insurance company, and easily hear today gone tomorrow. Considering insuring drones is a high risk policy for any company that is not associated with the Drone OEM you are simply gambling your $$$ considering the cost is double what DJI's insurance is...

Sure they may be just fine but why risk it...

I am insuring through State Farm Insurance. I currently have my Phantom Insured with them. First drone policy written by them in Northern Nevada! Yee Haaaa

Its not double to insure it versus DJI. Its exactly 5 dollars per month so that's 60 dollars a year. It covers anything that I do to the drone - water damage, fire, explosion, theft, act of god, etc. You name it! It will pay me what I invested in the purchase except for the tablet and backpack. Those 2 items would be covered under my home owners policy that has a 1000 dollar deductible. (so Im screwed on those 2 items - no biggie!) Lots faster than dicking around back and forth with DJI and trying to present your case and "hope" they will approve it. Pfffft!

Am I gambling with State Farm? They have only been in business since 1922. LOL!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl