Near mid air collision UK

Of course I wouldn't print what that keystroke is, but it is there, if you were at 500 feet and had to climb to avoid an aircraft that was descending this would be the way to do it. For those who have posted here and said above 500 feet is not possible, you need to take a look at some of the problem threads for people on RTH who have posted flight logs , that clearly show the drones above 700 feet and still climbing when the RTH was cancelled. This has been a common bug on the P4P and DJI are well aware of it.

There is an automatic limit of 500 feet on the P4P but there is a keystroke to override that. A guy in Turkey flew one up to 12,000 plus feet ,
As Meta4 pointed out the Turkey P4 video was a P2 and they simply cannot fly to 12,000 feet and back down on a single battery.

That secret keystroke did sort of exist on the first P3 software, you could fool the 500M limit due to a RTH bug but it was fixed eons ago. I suppose it could be possible someone has an early P3 with very old firmware.

Yes it could get that high, transmission distance is 5000 metres for a P4P , be that horizontally or vertically. There is an automatic limit of 500 feet on the P4P but there is a keystroke to override that. A guy in Turkey flew one up to 12,000 plus feet ,

I've seen this video before, he actually went about 4,900 feet, not 12,000 feet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

ok for those still claiming its impossible to get above 500 feet

Phantom 4 Pro , Using Litchi 3.10.3 , RTH altitude set @ 98 feet, All firmware and software up to date.

I had a problem with RTH on at least two occasions. On 2-11-2017 I was at 126’ and pressed the return home button and the aircraft ascended to 751 before I cancelled the RTH. ( I was talking to someone and not paying attention to what the drone was doing) and before that on 2-10-17 I was at 92 feet and used the RTH button and the drone flew to 219 feet before I cancelled the RTH .

2017-02-11_07-51-32_v2.csv

12m 0.9s P-GPS 18satellites 126.0ft 0.5mph 1,805.4ft 63% 12.919V 4.307V 4.304V 4.308V 0.004V Go Home button pressed

13m 28.9s Go Home 17satellites 751.0ft 6.3mph 1,775.7ft 57% 12.919V 4.307V 4.304V 4.308V 0.004V RTH cancelled

2017-02-10_08-03-54_v2.csv

2m 1.3s Go Home 19satellites 92.0ft 0.9mph 122.7ft 93% 12.869V 4.285V 4.291V 4.293V 0.008V

2m 27.5s P-GPS 19satellites 219.0ft 6.7mph 123.2ft 91% 12.869V 4.285V 4.291V 4.293V 0.008V RTH cancelled

ok for those still claiming its impossible to get above 500 feet

Phantom 4 Pro , Using Litchi 3.10.3 , RTH altitude set @ 98 feet, All firmware and software up to date.

I had a problem with RTH on at least two occasions. On 2-11-2017 I was at 126’ and pressed the return home button and the aircraft ascended to 751 before I cancelled the RTH. ( I was talking to someone and not paying attention to what the drone was doing) and before that on 2-10-17 I was at 92 feet and used the RTH button and the drone flew to 219 feet before I cancelled the RTH .

2017-02-11_07-51-32_v2.csv

12m 0.9s P-GPS 18satellites 126.0ft 0.5mph 1,805.4ft 63% 12.919V 4.307V 4.304V 4.308V 0.004V Go Home button pressed

13m 28.9s Go Home 17satellites 751.0ft 6.3mph 1,775.7ft 57% 12.919V 4.307V 4.304V 4.308V 0.004V RTH cancelled

2017-02-10_08-03-54_v2.csv

2m 1.3s Go Home 19satellites 92.0ft 0.9mph 122.7ft 93% 12.869V 4.285V 4.291V 4.293V 0.008V

2m 27.5s P-GPS 19satellites 219.0ft 6.7mph 123.2ft 91% 12.869V 4.285V 4.291V 4.293V 0.008V RTH cancelled
I think they meant 500 mtrs.

Yes it could get that high, transmission distance is 5000 metres for a P4P , be that horizontally or vertically. There is an automatic limit of 500 feet on the P4P but there is a keystroke to override that. A guy in Turkey flew one up to 12,000 plus feet ,
That video is fake toolbox edit it here is the video. (Phantom 2)

Hi all Phantom pilots. I am flying my Pro for nearly two months now.Was reading this morning of a near mid air collision between a Airbus and drone.(altitude 6000 ft) near Heathrow. Just scary stuff to read. This tipe of drone pilots will take our privilege of flying our drones away. We must stand together to discourage such reckless flying.

Sent from my SM-T815 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think most are missing the point of this post, while I'm very new to the world of droning I make sure I follow all FAA rules and regulations. I call before flying and I don't go above 400 feet. I do this because I love flying and I don't want the government to have a reason to take that away and when you have "pilots" (not technically a pilot until you take the test) who don't follow these guidelines them it will end up hurting the drone community as a whole.

Do I think the rules are strict? Yes but I'm still going to follow them.

Sure seems like many of these reports turn up in the UK. I think the most reported one was at Heathrow and it turned out to be a plastic bag or balloon. Maybe, some of these high altitude sighting are balloons.

Being a GA pilot myself, I find it quite difficult to believe that a small consumer quadcopter like the Phantom would be possible to see from a rapidly moving aircraft.

I think my eyesight is pretty decent, but I can still hardly see my P4 from more than 200 meters away when I am standing still outside and know exactly where to look. A pilot in a landing passenger jet would not see a Phantom until it bounces straight off the windshield.

TBH, I think that most of those so called unidentified UAV's reported were in fact something much larger, like a sports plane, a paraglider or something similar in size.

Being a GA pilot myself, I find it quite difficult to believe that a small consumer quadcopter like the Phantom would be possible to see from a rapidly moving aircraft.

I think my eyesight is pretty decent, but I can still hardly see my P4 from more than 200 meters away when I am standing still outside and know exactly where to look. A pilot in a landing passenger jet would not see a Phantom until it bounces straight off the windshield.

TBH, I think that most of those so called unidentified UAV's reported were in fact something much larger, like a sports plane, a paraglider or something similar in size.

Inability to see a small object at a relative velocity of 200 kn or so seems to be a common assertion, but has no basis in fact. Even if we assume, conservatively, that a Phantom is only visible within 200 ft, then at 200 kn it is in view for over half a second. In terms of visual perception, that's plenty of time to see it.

Reactions: Meta4
Hi all Phantom pilots. I am flying my Pro for nearly two months now.Was reading this morning of a near mid air collision between a Airbus and drone.(altitude 6000 ft) near Heathrow. Just scary stuff to read. This tipe of drone pilots will take our privilege of flying our drones away. We must stand together to discourage such reckless flying.

Sent from my SM-T815 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I think a lot of bad press will come our way simply because the DJI Pantoms are the popular picture pick for journalists even though the Phantom is the only drone with built in "locked out" areas. DJI needs to put some publicity out about this so that when people see we fly Phantoms they appreciate us as leaders in flight zone safety.

As I said there is a keystroke combination on the controller to over ride this limit.

I've researched that to see if there is a loophole to get around the 1640' limit. I don't think that combination works anymore.

Wow man i am surprised at the crap coming out your mouth, that video of of a phantom 2 with a gopro which you can see in some clips that it is a P2, just read the comments.

I posted this in Off topic a while back.
Mimoid would a Phantom bounce off a windscreen ? My neighbor haves 7 aircraft (mostly Agricultural) .I was sitting in them and the screens don't seem that thick especially on his vintage Cessna .

It was a drone ! Well almost.

But having the idea that the air is full of rogue drones helps their mind to put a label on indistinct things they might see. In the 1970s and 80s, such things were labeled as UFOs and pilots frequently reported them. (Almost) no-one believes there are flying saucers up there these days, so they get called drones now.

You know, I think this is really what's going on the more I think about it... drones are the new UFO's.

Don't know what that thing was you thought you saw out the airplane window (but was probably really an eye floater)? Well surely it must've been a drone of course, those infernal machines are everywhere! Everywhere I tell ya!

I posted this in Off topic a while back.
Mimoid would a Phantom bounce off a windscreen ? My neighbor haves 7 aircraft (mostly Agricultural) .I was sitting in them and the screens don't seem that thick especially on his vintage Cessna .

It was a drone ! Well almost.

"Bounce off" was probably not a good expression, sorry about that.

If a drone with the mass of the Phantom collided with a small aircraft (like a Pawnee or a PA-28), the windscreen would probably crack but not shatter, partially because it is quite elastic, but mainly because of the slow relative speed. The propeller on the other hand would get most of the damage, and the pilot would most likely need to perform a dead-stick landing. Not cool.

On a commercial jet, the drone could easily blast a large hole in the windshield, pretty much like a bird strike. If the drone went into the engine, the engine would probably perform an emergency shut-off. Not cool either.

///Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3