ND Filters

Reaction score
For the life of me i cant get the correct nd filter when i fly lol, I understand how to do it, set the shutter speed to double or as close to double the frame rate, and then check the ev and add a filter from there + means go darker - means go lighter, however, i set the bird down put a filter on, fly off and low and be hold the ev changes ... What do people do?

My video is not as crisp as id like and i think the filter makes a massive difference, to dark and theres not enough light coming in and too light and your over exposed,

Also would my assumption that the p4 either doesn't like a lot of one color or doesn't like lots of green be correct, some of my forest vids are awful lol..

I personally like shooting using the VIVID color setting. The saturation is fairly high, but it makes things pop and I don't have to grade it in post, rarely ever. There's an EV lock icon in the upper right corner that I think you can touch and that locks the exposure. I usually don't lock it myself, and my videos usually turn out awesome, IMO. I like what I see in my video clarity, contrast and colors, others insist on grading from Cinelike or None color setting. Try vivid, you might like it.

upload_2017-5-10_15-38-27.png

I personally like shooting using the VIVID color setting. The saturation is fairly high, but it makes things pop and I don't have to grade it in post, rarely ever. There's an EV lock icon in the upper right corner that I think you can touch and that locks the exposure. I usually don't lock it myself, and my videos usually turn out awesome, IMO. I like what I see in my video clarity, contrast and colors, others insist on grading from Cinelike or None color setting. Try vivid, you might like it.

I will certainly give it a go buddy :),

View attachment 82067
Im in the same boat as Dazzauk. I used the ND 8 Cinema Series today filming a house about 11 AM.
I have yet to have any luck with these filters. I hate the polarize as I dont ever fly over water or snow. Video is just not crisp and never has been with these filters. Actually my yuneec Q500 4K camera without a filter has a crisper picture. You mentioned using vivid setting which I do need to try. Are you using any filters at all? I have a fixed ND8 and ND16 {non polar pro} and Im still no impressed with the picture. Just no pizzazz so to speak. Would I need a ND4 fixed filter or should I use no filter at all. Do you have better luck in the auto mode when using vivid or manual mode

Im in the same boat as Dazzauk. I used the ND 8 Cinema Series today filming a house about 11 AM.
I have yet to have any luck with these filters. I hate the polarize as I dont ever fly over water or snow. Video is just not crisp and never has been with these filters. Actually my yuneec Q500 4K camera without a filter has a crisper picture. You mentioned using vivid setting which I do need to try. Are you using any filters at all? I have a fixed ND8 and ND16 {non polar pro} and Im still no impressed with the picture. Just no pizzazz so to speak. Would I need a ND4 fixed filter or should I use no filter at all. Do you have better luck in the auto mode when using vivid or manual mode
I hardly ever use ND4, most of the time I'm using ND16 on most sunny days. I seldom use ND8 but I have one for cloudy days where ND4 or 8 could be a good pick. I just don't fly on cloudy days much. Auto mode with vivid color setting is what I usually fly, but sometimes I have to go manual or lock the AE icon if the sun position is such that it ruins my shots by automatically changing exposure too much. This happens in cases such as ocean surf, where the water turns white and then dark blue as the waves break and settle, you'll see lot of exposure change which ruins the shot.

Reactions: JWH
PolarPro has a neat app that helps you figure out which one to use. You plug in your exposure settings without the filter (ISO, Shutter Speed and fps) it then calculates which ND to use to get a shutter speed that is double the frame rate. Pretty clever and works well.

would be interested in seeing some video with this setting and not just screen shots?

i seem to struggle getting crisp, sharp video and im using the expensive polar pro, but im starting to wonder if they take away some crispness?

I hardly ever use ND4, most of the time I'm using ND16 on most sunny days. I seldom use ND8 but I have one for cloudy days where ND4 or 8 could be a good pick. I just don't fly on cloudy days much. Auto mode with vivid color setting is what I usually fly, but sometimes I have to go manual or lock the AE icon if the sun position is such that it ruins my shots by automatically changing exposure too much. This happens in cases such as ocean surf, where the water turns white and then dark blue as the waves break and settle, you'll see lot of exposure change which ruins the shot.
Hmmmm will have to try this. How do I get the lock AE icon on my display like you have in the upper right hand corner. I cant seem to find it in the settings to have it show up

Im beginning to think the manual setting is for the birds,,,so to speak, When it comes to white balance do you guys also leave it on auto or do you set it to custom 5600 or pick sunny or cloudy?
So when I stick a ND16 or 8 filter on do I have to make any kind of adjustments or just let the camera do its thing since it is in auto mode. I always flim at 30fps so shutter should be at 60. If the picture is to dark do I only adjust the EV and let the camera adjust the ISO automatically?

For the life of me i cant get the correct nd filter when i fly lol, I understand how to do it, set the shutter speed to double or as close to double the frame rate, and then check the ev and add a filter from there + means go darker - means go lighter, however, i set the bird down put a filter on, fly off and low and be hold the ev changes ... What do people do?

My video is not as crisp as id like and i think the filter makes a massive difference, to dark and theres not enough light coming in and too light and your over exposed,

Also would my assumption that the p4 either doesn't like a lot of one color or doesn't like lots of green be correct, some of my forest vids are awful lol..

If I'm not mistaken you ordered the kit that has the CP/ND4/ND8 correct?

You really need to get the ND16. It will more than likely be your "go to" filter most of the time...

If I'm not mistaken you ordered the kit that has the CP/ND4/ND8 correct?

You really need to get the ND16. It will more than likely be your "go to" filter most of the time...

I fot 2 kits now lol, i have the ND 64, 32, and 16 :)

Reactions: Rig and mikep2323
I fot 2 kits now lol, i have the ND 64, 32, and 16 :)

There you go!;)

I by no means am a professional photographer, but I usually get darn good results with my ND16 shooting in 2704x1520 (30fps), with ISO set at 100 (sometimes adjust to 200 during flight), and shutter at 60.

Also I set the WB to sunny. (can't stand the auto mode transitions).

These settings are for sunny days....

Reactions: Dazzauk
There you go!;)

I by no means am a professional photographer, but I usually get darn good results with my ND16 shooting in 2704x1520 (30fps), with ISO set at 100 (sometimes adjust to 200 during flight), and shutter at 60.

Also I set the WB to sunny. (can't stand the auto mode transitions).

These settings are for sunny days....

Do you know what i dont actually know what adjustning the iso does lol?

How fir is the shutter speed double the fram rate rule?

Maybe im following these guides too litterally?

daz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart