N# from the faa.

Reaction score
I passed my part 107 knowledge test, now do I have to get a N#. My drone is only 2.5lbs?

I passed my part 107 knowledge test, now do I have to get a N#. My drone is only 2.5lbs?
You don't have to get a N# unless you want to, but you do have to register your sUAV, go to the FAA UAS site and click on the for commercial use button. Anything being used for commercial purposes and weighting less than 55 lbs. If you just studied for and passed your test, you should know this.

Reactions: Falcon900
Went the N# route as a personal preference. Like the look of the N# on the bird instead of the longer FA#. Operationally, it makes no difference.

Reactions: BigAl07
I went the commercial FA# because it was instant and didn't have to wait for processing. But I agree the N# does distinguish commercial from hobby.

I think that it helps establishing a mind set too that these are, in the eyes of the FAA, real aircraft, not just toys or annoying things that can be arbitrarily attacked (either physically or 'legally'). Only drawback is that it's taking about 6 weeks for the registration to go through. However, that doesn't mean that yo have to wait that long to fly the bird. When you fill out and send in the AC Form 8050-1, you keep a copy as you 'temporary' registration, sort of like 30 day tags on your car while you are waiting for the title. I keep my copy in the travel case.

I went the commercial FA# because it was instant and didn't have to wait for processing. But I agree the N# does distinguish commercial from hobby.
Ryan, just a note, Im in the Springfield area. FYI, the Dayton Drone Flyers group is planning a fly-in at the soccer field on Rip-Rap Road this Saturday morning.

Ryan, just a note, Im in the Springfield area. FYI, the Dayton Drone Flyers group is planning a fly-in at the soccer field on Rip-Rap Road this Saturday morning.
Thanks, I saw that on Meetup but unfortunately I have plans that morning and probably won't be able to make it [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So...do you come up with your own set of numbers??

So...do you come up with your own set of numbers??
Yes, you can go in and reserve a number, cost $10 plus the application fee, and put that on your application. Or you can just send in the application and have the FAA assign an N#. I've done it both ways

I like the N# route but I have my thoughts that in time they will migrate all sUAS away from the N# system and ask us to use the "web portal" if possible. Keeps in simple, minimal "human interaction" and lumps everyone into one nice big basket.

Reactions: ryantrax

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen