My Phantom 3 Standard makes a gimbal grinding noise when recording

Reaction score
From the time I got my P3S I saw that whenever I recorded video, there would be many places where there was micro-jitter. At first I thought it was vibration so I balanced the props, but whilst it made the drone more stable, it didn't solve my micro-jitter problem.
Today I set it on the bench, turned it on but without starting its motors. I then decided to let it record a video. Immediately I started hearing an intermittent grinding sound which is not present when it isn't recording. Taking a photo also causes the grinding noise to start for about a second. When not recording it just makes a silent electrical type noise (which I believe is normal). When I reviewed the recording on my PC, i could see the same effect I was seeing when I recorded outside (micro-jitter as my friend calls it). Even with no draft in the room and it sitting absolutely still it was repeatedly moving the camera up and down very slightly while recording.

I managed to capture the sounds on camera.

Idle/not recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8aj7j5 ... 0recording.mp4?dl=0
Recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gjq98 ... 0recording.mp4?dl=0

Please turn your speakers up if you can't hear it clearly.

I'm thinking possibly a gimbal motor or gimbal IMU problem. I may not be able to get warranty for it because I purchased it online and it came from overseas. I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend which part may be causing the problem. Remember the jitter only happens when the grinding noise is there. And the grinding noise is there when it is recording/taking a photo.

Thanks in advance

Sad news to a friend.If the camera shaking and you do not fly.This is a complaint.I have a similar problem one month after purchase.
I send video with description to authorized service. They answer me, bring the drone to dealers we fix it.

Last edited:
Sad news to a friend.If the camera shaking and you do not fly.This is a complaint.I have a similar problem one month after purchase.
I send video with description to authorized service. They answer me, bring the drone to dealers we fix it.
The problem is I bought it from overseas so even if I want to give it back to the dealer it will be very expensive to ship it. I prefer to repair it myself if someone knows which part to replace

The problem is I bought it from overseas so even if I want to give it back to the dealer it will be very expensive to ship it. I prefer to repair it myself if someone knows which part to replace
That's too bad. Good luck

I had a noise similar to that only louder after DJI repaired my Drone after a crash & they replace the Gimbal assembly . You can still send you P3S back for DJI repair , just may need to pay for repairs or maybe not . you need to contact them with your story & sound video , see what they say .

There was a video on youtube that showed a noise similar to yours & mine & it showed what to check to see if it was tight , a set screw or something on the Gimbal mounting or something . it was on a thread on this forum here some where , might help if you search for it . May or may not help with your issue , but worth a look .

It could be allowed this screw.

Attachments

• sketch-1487765336673.png
    sketch-1487765336673.png
    517.4 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
I had a noise similar to that only louder after DJI repaired my Drone after a crash & they replace the Gimbal assembly . You can still send you P3S back for DJI repair , just may need to pay for repairs or maybe not . you need to contact them with your story & sound video , see what they say .

There was a video on youtube that showed a noise similar to yours & mine & it showed what to check to see if it was tight , a set screw or something on the Gimbal mounting or something . it was on a thread on this forum here some where , might help if you search for it . May or may not help with your issue , but worth a look .
It could be allowed this screw.
Ok, I will try to see if that is the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl