My NG filter test with pictures

Reaction score
I used phantomfilters.com gel filters. They are inexpensive but very flimsy. I'd like some comments and maybe I'll upgrade to a glass filter. But I wanted to see if it was worth it. For my test I kept the stop consistent at 0.0 and let the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed to accommodate the stop. I'm still learning this stuff so feel free to chime in with opinions.

1st picture is original lense at 0.0 stop and 1/2500 shutter speed.

2nd picture is NG 16 at 0.0 and 1/120 (Ideally I think I wanted to be at 120?)

3rd picture is POL at 0.0 and 1/1000

4th picture is NG 8 at 0.0 and 1/320

Attachments

• original at 0.0 and 1.2500.JPG
    original at 0.0 and 1.2500.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 508
  • NG 16 at 0.0 and 1.120.JPG
    NG 16 at 0.0 and 1.120.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 420
  • Pol at 0.0 and 1.1000.JPG
    Pol at 0.0 and 1.1000.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 410
  • NG 8 at 0.0 and 1.320.JPG
    NG 8 at 0.0 and 1.320.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 458
I think I was looking for more detail in the clouds, not so washed out, and more detail by using these filters. Will glass filters work even better?

ND filters won't change the look of your photos in general (except to slow down shutter speed and add motion blur to fast moving objects.) that's what 'neutral density' means - no shift in color!

A circular polarizer will cut haze and make the sky darker and clouds pop IF you have it oriented correctly and shoot at a 90 degree angle to the sun (the sun on one of your shoulders. Not sure how you can possibly have a circular polarizer in a flimsy filter insert and expect to get it at the correct angle though.

So, what you're saying is..... If I don't care about shutter speed I just adjust my settings to 0.0 stop and that will get me the best picture? Even with the native lens?

I mean right now I don't plan on taking any action photos so I'm not sure why I'd need the ND filters.

So, what you're saying is..... If I don't care about shutter speed I just adjust my settings to 0.0 stop and that will get me the best picture? Even with the native lens?

I mean right now I don't plan on taking any action photos so I'm not sure why I'd need the ND filters.
For photographing you don't need ND-filters.
Cheap gel ND-filters might induce glare.

ND filters are mainly for video. If you shoot video in bright light, it will usually have a very fast shutter speed which makes every frame super crisp - that's what you WANT for an action photo, it's what you want to AVOID in video. Without some motion blur, video looks weird and unrealistic. So using nd filters allow you to bring the shutter down to twice the frame rate which will allow some natural looking motion blur

I think I was looking for more detail in the clouds, not so washed out, and more detail by using these filters. Will glass filters work even better?
Huskerfan, see the electrical wires in the background of your photos and how they have a sawtooth look rather than smooth? You can prevent that by turning down your sharpness, contrast and other settings. They are probably factory set around +2, try setting them to -2 and you might be very pleased with the result. Maybe you're not so concerned with wires, but it will prevent the same thing with roof tiles/shingles and siding, and from many landscape features like gently curving road and sidewalk edges. Give it a try.

Viral, thanks for that. I do video in bright sunlight so I will use the ND filters when that happens.

StumbleBee, also thanks. I will try those settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl