My Maiden Flight

Yes sir, went back today for two batteries worth and going back tomorrow. I am ordering 2 more batteries. With pre-flight and all on two batteries it kills an hour but I want to kill and afternoon of just flying. Yep, suppose I am addicted. LOL

Houston the eagle has landed

Yes !!!!
finally :lol:

Was it easy?
I think the simulator was more difficult ;)
Nice steady video and not to high for a maiden flight. :cool:
So have fun and save flights :D

Cheers.

kymedic121 said:
Yes sir, went back today for two batteries worth and going back tomorrow. I am ordering 2 more batteries. With pre-flight and all on two batteries it kills an hour but I want to kill and afternoon of just flying. Yep, suppose I am addicted. LOL

Good to hear! Two more batteries @ over $100/pop? I thought you were frugal like me? ;) LOL I have two batteries myself and I've only once used both during the same flight. After a 20 min flight, I always count my blessings that I didn't crash and burn the thing into oblivion. I also feel a little physically drained after each flight. I'm still quite nervous and I'm always relieved when she touches down smooth. Don't misunderstand me though...flying this thing gives me a huge adrenalin rush. It's exhilarating and it's so much fun to be in control of such technology. Like many, I mostly worry about destroying my camera/gimbal assembly in a crash. Half the fun and enjoyment would be lost if that should happen and as we all know right now, parts are severely limited and way too expensive.

M.Tigelaar said:
Houston the eagle has landed

Yes !!!!
finally :lol:

Was it easy?
I think the simulator was more difficult ;)
Nice steady video and not to high for a maiden flight. :cool:
So have fun and save flights :D

Cheers.

Yes I think it was much easier than the simulator, except for the nerves. LOL. Still going slow and will continue to do so until I am comfortable in my skill and the aircrafts abilities. Thanks so much............

Sasquatch said:
kymedic121 said:

Good to hear! Two more batteries @ over $100/pop? I thought you were frugal like me? ;) LOL I have two batteries myself and I've only once used both during the same flight. After a 20 min flight, I always count my blessings that I didn't crash and burn the thing into oblivion. I also feel a little physically drained after each flight. I'm still quite nervous and I'm always relieved when she touches down smooth. Don't misunderstand me though...flying this thing gives me a huge adrenalin rush. It's exhilarating and it's so much fun to be in control of such technology. Like many, I mostly worry about destroying my camera/gimbal assembly in a crash. Half the fun and enjoyment would be lost if that should happen and as we all know right now, parts are severely limited and way too expensive.

Well, I am kinda frugal most of the time but I do splurge occasionally LOL. Can't take it with us. I am still also flying with great caution, low and slow. Gonna keep doing the same until I feel comfortable. I think I am fixing to switch to NAZA mode this way I have the IOC to rely on. I am also planning a GS flight over one of my hunting leases this weekend so I have been reading and watching all the videos I can get my hands on for the GS application.

Phoenix 5 simulator has the phantom as a selection but it does not have all the gps enabled features, you are basically flying in ATTI Mode.

Phoenix 5 is the best. It has nearly every RC aircraft available to fly and the choice of locations and weather conditions is awesome.

after reading this post cant wait for my phantom to arrive (its a long trip from las vegas to nuevo laredo, three or four days for reviewing the content of the package, and sending it to méxico city) and do my maiden flight.

in the mean time im reading all available info, watching every tutorial and video in order to be orrpared formthat maiden flight.

Great thread. Love to hear everyone's update on their first few flights. Can't wait to pick my phantom up next weekend. Bought it wth spare battery, but may need another if I find that "special" area that warrants 1hr+ of flying :)

It's about 2 weeks ago I had my maiden flight with the Phantom 2 vision plus. I was so scared to buy the phantom in the first place after reading so many scary things and issues people had had, but after finding the right video tutorials and realising most of the issues were mistakes I bit the bullet by first buying a Hubsan X4. I was also worried I may hate flying as it was my first time!

I flew for about month of flying indoors and a couple of weeks outside doing all sorts of manoeuvres learning what to do in bad situations (particularly not pushing everything to it's max when in trouble or in an awkward situation). When I finally got the Phantom the feeling of the first flight was 'heavy', not to mention I was mentally exhausted after one 10 minute flight!

Reading this forum and talking to RC shops it seems to be more about getting the right training in, reading as much as you can and doing things slowly. I had made my own checklist before I even picked up the phantom.

Best thing about the Hubsan though was it taught me how to fly visually without relying on GPS, RTH or FPV. Flying such a small craft to precisely indoors was also a great help in particular with landings (I landed on everything in my home!).

+1 on using the husban for training. I picked up the husban 107D and its great indoors and out. Lot easier learning on a 200 machine than 1400. I half to admit I crashed my first P2V+ after doing a high banked flyby near a pecan tree. Cleared it perfectly and looked awesome until I hit the tree I was standing in front of :( Lesson learned...no hotdogging with the phantom...

lsteigerwalt said:
+1 on using the husban for training. I picked up the husban 107D and its great indoors and out. Lot easier learning on a 200 machine than 1400. I half to admit I crashed my first P2V+ after doing a high banked flyby near a pecan tree. Cleared it perfectly and looked awesome until I hit the tree I was standing in front of :( Lesson learned...no hotdogging with the phantom...

Yea, I am not a hot dogging kind of guy. I like flying slow and precise, getting good video and photos. I am going to continue using the simulator and my end up buying husban 107D to practice with more maneuverability.

I learned on a Blade 180QX and have gotten pretty good with it.
I could go slow and careful with it and never crash but that get's boring and I find myself hot dogging it and trying things that end up crashing it.
Now I'm practicing in agility(manual) mode which is much more difficult and results in more crashes.
Fortunately, the crashes don't hurt it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl