My First Week With The P3S

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank everyone who contributes in a positive manner on these forums. I spent hours reading all the P3S pages and it was most influential in making my decision to purchase the P3S. Certain threads have been very helpful, while others were hard to skim though the bickering....but that's expected with any online forum.
I did a super quick edit of my footage for the past week, including clips from my first four flights. I figured I might as well do a weekly editing session and call it a drone vlog. Hopefully it will show my progress in controlling the P3S and in my editing skills too. I know I need to focus more on smooth pitch/yaw, as well as a little better color correction in editing.
Check it out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks again!

You did better than me. My first week as well. I also have standard. What program are you using to create the movie. And what are you editing with. The go app I'm not seeing how to fade in shots and how did you add the introduction. Total newbie here. Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What an awesome video. Still a bit scared to fly it that high, maybe soon!

You did better than me. My first week as well. I also have standard. What program are you using to create the movie. And what are you editing with. The go app I'm not seeing how to fade in shots and how did you add the introduction. Total newbie here. Please help.

Thanks, Tony! I tried the GoPro editing software and it was pretty minimal...but it's free and gets editing basics done. I switched back to an older piece of software that I already had, called Corel Video Studio Pro 6. I haven't used it in a couple years, so when I have more time I'll spend it figuring out exactly what I'm doing. The intro you see is just a template customized with my own text, audio, and transitions.

Ya, Anakin, I'm still not 100% confident in the RTH rescuing me when I'm way high up there and far out. I'm always worried it's going to hit something, even with the RTH elevation set, so I just fly it home. So far I think my max height is 420', and max distance is 1500' from home. I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Thanks again for the kind comments guys!

Thanks for the info. I will look for that. I tried I movie and it will let me do introductions as well. I got the confidence now to fly up to 400ft. I was scared of the winds to be honest and when it returns hitting rth it always comes at me so fast. I'm surprised when it stops on a dime and lands. I will look for this apps as well as trying the Microsoft hyper lapse for time lapse editing. This is starting to be a tough hobby. The video more than the flying of the aircraft.

Cool! I figured with the recent sale of P3s there would be some other people on here with the same amount of experience as I have. Nice to know.
Are you guys using it for mostly photography purposes or something else? I've seen all kinds of weird uses for this thing, like herding chickens and such.

I'm using mine just as a hobby thing and something to keep busy with. Hopefully when I get better at handling it I'm going to use it to shoot my car club and get some rolling shots with the follow me feature lol.

Reactions: KDFrosty
The recent sale was enough to convince me to buy a P3S (actually got mine for $400). Now I am just waiting for the weather to warm up above 20F before I take my first flight. I know the P3 can handle the cold temps, but I am not anxious to stand out in an open field on these cold days, so I will (im)patiently wait. At least I am getting better with the sim! haha

Mine is strictly for hobby use as well. If I had a professional application for it, I would probably have spent the extra $ for a adv/pro model. I may eventually add a range extender, as I would like to try flights of 5000ft+ distance. I have always loved photography and anything that flies, so this seems like a perfect hobby!

The recent sale was enough to convince me to buy a P3S (actually got mine for $400). Now I am just waiting for the weather to warm up above 20F before I take my first flight. I know the P3 can handle the cold temps, but I am not anxious to stand out in an open field on these cold days, so I will (im)patiently wait. At least I am getting better with the sim! haha
I've been flying in the cold mornings here, around 15F, and I once made the mistake of letting the battery get too cold, standing in a freezing field, and NOT getting to fly at all because I couldnt warm the battery up fast enough..
There's certainly better DJI models to get if you're looking for professional results, but the PS3 seems to be a great entry level photography style drone. It's certainly not too sporty, which is a great trade off for the stability that offers.

I am new as well. I have had my P3S for two weeks now and no flights. Too cold. I know it can take it but I don't want my first flight to be rushed in less than ideal conditions. I have experience flying RC planes so I don't think this craft will be too difficult but I also don't want to through $500 out the window because it is 4 degrees F.

Having yet to take my first flight, I have found myself reading many threads on these forums over the past few weeks. Funny that I am so intrigued with the max-distance threads (how can I take my P3S out a mile... or 2 miles... or farther?...) yet I know for sure I will be nervous and too afraid to fly mine more than a couple hundred feet when I first get a chance to fly her myself! LOL

I agree - the distance intrigues me as well. When I flew my planes distance wasn't an issue. Actually it was bad because you couldn't see it. I think the fact that I can take a picture/video of what is below is why the distance is important. "Stand here and see over there" type thing.

Having yet to take my first flight, I have found myself reading many threads on these forums over the past few weeks. Funny that I am so intrigued with the max-distance threads (how can I take my P3S out a mile... or 2 miles... or farther?...) yet I know for sure I will be nervous and too afraid to fly mine more than a couple hundred feet when I first get a chance to fly her myself! LOL
Ya, I read over the distance threads as well. People are talking two miles?! I get mine to 1500', can barely still see it and start worrying. With experience will come confidence. I'm going to try the follow me function and film some disc golf today.

Thanks, Jim! I just wish I had enough quality footage so that I didnt have to cut away. In some cases the cut away hides bad camera skills! :)
On a different note, I tried the Follow Me feature and got the error message "Device not support GPS, unable to start Follow Me". I didnt want to mess with it any more while the bird was in the air, so I flew my 20 minutes and went back to work. Got back to researching the Follow Me error, only to realize it was pilot error. Didnt have GPS activated on my mobile device. There's always tomorrow...got some good shots anyways.

Reactions: RZR_Jim
Hell, if I used all my footage in a video everyone would go to sleep! Good tip in the Follow Me, want to try it soon also and I'm wondering if I would have caught that.

Have mine like 2 months now. I came form DSLR world and I still do love photography world. I want do something differently from eye level haha. By spring time comes I will get the pro or advance version. The distance on the standard isn't too good. But over this machine is pretty to begin with.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures