My first nippy moment...

Reaction score
So, bought a P3A few days back after many years with nitro choppers, obviously controlling fine after 3D flying helis, lovely and relaxed flight controls. Around 4th flight of the day, got her airborne, immediately got a warning regarding the battery temp being too low which I proceeded to ignore and fire her out over the woods to around 120m elevation and 500m distance, at which point it all kicked off, critical voltage aircraft landing started, to make matters worse, this was pitch black 10pm at night - all I could see was my tablet flashing all sorts and a flashing light descending in the distance, I kept hitting cancel and using vision only pushed the stick forward to bring it home, literally as it got to me it was around 20m in height, it wouldn’t stop descending all the way, I landed, and changed my trousers. I shall never fly again with cold batteries!

Lol I know the feeling. Mine landed at 10% and it went down a few streets away. Stooped looking for it at 2am then couldn't sleep and found it at 5am the next day. Glad you got yours back too mate [emoji4]

Yes, no matter what DJI Phantom aircraft you fly, keeping your flight batteries warm-particularly in the colder weather- is very important.
Even in flying when it is slightly above freezing(5C or below), it is a good idea to keep your flight batteries nice and warm. Putting them in your jacket pocket or leaving them in a warm vehicle is something that I do.
And when temperatures get to the freezing point or below, it becomes critical that those flight batteries are warm.

Also, because battery performance is negatively compromised in cold temperatures, I always keep a sharp eye on my Battery Status throughout the flight.
Your battery's efficiency can drop rapidly when operating in freezing(or below freezing) temperatures.

Tip: Don't wait until your battery is down to 20% before returning home.......your margin for error isn't there.

Yes the first 3 flights were through the day, this was the final flight at night with 2 degree temperature. I saw the warning as I took off and headed out but when it said aircraft landing I honestly even now have absolutely no idea how I managed to get it back in one piece. Why will it not stop descending? I assume im lucky I reached the altitude I did as when it got back to me it literally was just above me and still coming down, had I not climbed out to that altitude I guess it would have fallen short and there’s nothing at all I could have done to prevent that? (Other than reading the warning and actually taking into on board rather than ignoring it and setting off!) - so glad she’s back in one piece though, I was very anti drone having been so heli mad over the years, 2 days in and I honestly wouldn’t ever have another chopper, I’m so impressed. I also lost signal a few thousand meters out whilst showing some family, then DJI GO app crashed, everyone was like omg what now, I said it SHOULD come home! After waiting what felt like a lifetime we heard the rotors getting louder, came right above us and set itself down no more than 1ft from where it took off, the family were astounded, seeing as the controller was sat on the floor. They’re amazing bits of kit, as you can probably tell, I’m going to get really into all this I think haha

Having not learned my lesson, tonight I’ve had my second nippy moment with my P3A - bit windy tonight, nothing too harsh but gusts here and there, obviously being obsessed with my new toy I didn’t think twice about taking her out for a flight. Took off and climbed to 300ft or so and went for a little nosey, lost signal over some industrial units so pressed RTH which started, I could see the lights in the sky with it being night time. My display indicated RTH cruising 160m, then 170m, then 180m, at this point I can hear the motors screaming yet the drone going further away, having read many stories about lack of power to return in wind I quickly pulled hard down on the left stick assuming that the gusts up there were just too strong, all the time descending the RTH distance is getting greater, finally at around 120ft she started very slowly travelling in the correct direction, once back I took control and let me say this, having flown 3D helis for years, this was one of the most difficult landings I’ve made, she really was taking a hammering in what seemed like minor gusts, thankfully I brought her down without harm but yet again, another lesson learned, it should have gone without saying that fair gusts at ground level would be fairly strong at 300ft, she just didn’t have the power to return home, I am learning every step of the way but so thankful once again for getting her back in one piece.

Glad she made it back. Get the UAV Forecast app. Gives you lots of weather info. Safe to fly or not. Gives wind speed at ground level and higher altitudes.

Having not learned my lesson, tonight I’ve had my second nippy moment with my P3A - bit windy tonight, nothing too harsh but gusts here and there, obviously being obsessed with my new toy I didn’t think twice about taking her out for a flight. Took off and climbed to 300ft or so and went for a little nosey, lost signal over some industrial units so pressed RTH which started, I could see the lights in the sky with it being night time. My display indicated RTH cruising 160m, then 170m, then 180m, at this point I can hear the motors screaming yet the drone going further away, having read many stories about lack of power to return in wind I quickly pulled hard down on the left stick assuming that the gusts up there were just too strong, all the time descending the RTH distance is getting greater, finally at around 120ft she started very slowly travelling in the correct direction, once back I took control and let me say this, having flown 3D helis for years, this was one of the most difficult landings I’ve made, she really was taking a hammering in what seemed like minor gusts, thankfully I brought her down without harm but yet again, another lesson learned, it should have gone without saying that fair gusts at ground level would be fairly strong at 300ft, she just didn’t have the power to return home, I am learning every step of the way but so thankful once again for getting her back in one piece.
RTH is only about half power/speed . Give it full power forward.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94