My Drone was shot out of the Sky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Please share this video on all social media. This is an important matter in the United States: the courts need to decide if drones are permitted over private property, and people who shoot drones need to be federally prosecuted. It's too dangerous to ignore this issue.

Reactions: len750 and Norval
I believe if you own your house and land you don't own what's under it or above it as otherwise planes would need your permission to fly over your home. Luckily in the uk we don't have this problem. If I was you I would take him to a small claims court and sue his Arse! And also get as much coverage as possible in the media.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Boofritz
Reactions: Boofritz
Wow, that sucks! What kind of gun was it, a shotgun or rifle? If it was a rifle, he could have damaged the water tower which was right behind the drone, based on your explanation of locations. I'd definitely get the FAA involved and request federal prosecution. If you're a felon you can't own guns. It would be my goal to make that happen if it was me. This guy is an A$$. He needs a lesson in civility.

Check the road right of way. You might not have flown over his property period. My property line is 5 ft from the edge of the street. That 5 ft (sodded area) is city/public property and anyone who wishes can walk their dog, fly drones over it, etc. FYI

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Listen to the video John . Said he was told it was a pellet gun . But he says he heard the gun shot .
Welcome to the forum and sorry for this Tyson . You say you find it odd and I find all this odd .
Something just seems to be missing .Any LE can arrest you for a crime that is a felony .
Now they might have been misinformed and thought it was civil which that puts the ball in your hands,
and I would go to the Chief there with this .

You're not the only one.

Shooting drones down from the sky has always been a hot topic and it looks like we're going to see what holds up in the court of law.

Edit: I just noticed the article I posted has a headline image of a military drone :disappointed: classic example of why people get the wrong ideas about drones

Last edited:
Sorry you have to go through this. I can not believe police couldn't do anything about it? WTF? I support you and wanted that A**hole in the jail for long, after paying for your damage. I hope all other a**holes learn from this.

I agree with you. He didn't climb off his roof in one minute eight seconds and get a gun and shoot. He may indeed have done it for sport. More likely he saw you preparing to launch it and then acted (Premeditated.).

I'm sort of curious as to why they cannot enforce firing a gun within the city limits if you reside within one, not that they seem to do anything around here if they do. And the civil excuse is common too, unless it happens to them.

Might not hurt to talk to your local D.A. and see what they say. Maybe file in small claims court too and see what becomes of it.

Add, wonder if all these drone shots would be worth reporting to the FAA? They have a report for damages caused by a drone over $500, but what about to the drone itself caused by a third party?

Last edited:
And if it was registered per Part 107, it should be reportable just like any other aircraft incident. I'd file a report. Unfortunately, Part 107 specifies $500 damage 'other than to the small UAS'.

First , why would this guy be so upset about a Drone , has he had run ins before with them or you ?
Second , he can probably fire the firearm in this Rural setting , but to fire it in the air is reckless endangerment with a firearm , just about every where . He should have been arrested , because it was a Firearm offense & the LEO knew it . He is probably friends or is acquainted with the LEO (s)
If you heard the report of the shot , it wasn't a Pellet gun !

First , why would this guy be so upset about a Drone , has he had run ins before with them or you ?
Second , he can probably fire the firearm in this Rural setting , but to fire it in the air is reckless endangerment with a firearm , just about every where . He should have been arrested , because it was a Firearm offense & the LEO knew it . He is probably friends or is acquainted with the LEO (s)
If you heard the report of the shot , it wasn't a Pellet gun !
Pellet guns come in many varieties. They are not all Red Ryder's. Many high end pellet guns have a report when shot and you can even hunt small game with them. The pellet breaks the sound barrier and that is what you hear. My .177cal Diana break barrel can easily be heard. So it may have been a pellet rifle.

When will the federal law be upheld? So far it has not even crossed the radar in these shooting cases. If I see someone run an RC car over the end of my driveway and I shot it I bet I would be coughing up bail money right now.

I believe if you own your house and land you don't own what's under it or above it as otherwise planes would need your permission to fly over your home. Luckily in the uk we don't have this problem. If I was you I would take him to a small claims court and sue his Arse! And also get as much coverage as possible in the media.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thank you. I plan to file in small claims court, and I contacted the media today and hope they'll do a story.

Wow Drone Slayer returns, your vid should work in your favour i would have thought and yes - people need made accountable for their actions.

Can we see the onboard footage?
I unfortunately don't have onboard footage. I was positioning my drone to take a few seconds of video footage and had not yet activated the camera. Thank you for your comment.

Wow, that sucks! What kind of gun was it, a shotgun or rifle? If it was a rifle, he could have damaged the water tower which was right behind the drone, based on your explanation of locations. I'd definitely get the FAA involved and request federal prosecution. If you're a felon you can't own guns. It would be my goal to make that happen if it was me. This guy is an A$$. He needs a lesson in civility.
I was told by the police that it was a pellet gun, but it sure didn't sound like a pellet gun. I don't know much about guns, but the blast sounded louder than a pellet gun. Thanks for your comment.

Check the road right of way. You might not have flown over his property period. My property line is 5 ft from the edge of the street. That 5 ft (sodded area) is city/public property and anyone who wishes can walk their dog, fly drones over it, etc. FYI

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Good point! Thanks very much for sharing.

Listen to the video John . Said he was told it was a pellet gun . But he says he heard the gun shot .
Welcome to the forum and sorry for this Tyson . You say you find it odd and I find all this odd .
Something just seems to be missing .Any LE can arrest you for a crime that is a felony .
Now they might have been misinformed and thought it was civil which that puts the ball in your hands,
and I would go to the Chief there with this .
The police chief told me today that a person who owns property owns everything above it. I tried to politely tell him that I think he might be mistaken, but he appeared to get angry, so I gave up trying to convince him. I talked to someone from the county prosecutors office; they're looking into it and encouraged me to file in small claims court, which I plan to do tomorrow. Thank you for your comment.

You're not the only one.

Shooting drones down from the sky has always been a hot topic and it looks like we're going to see what holds up in the court of law.

Edit: I just noticed the article I posted has a headline image of a military drone :disappointed: classic example of why people get the wrong ideas about drones
Thank you. I'm sad to learn that I'm not the only person who has experienced this. I was so shocked that a person would do this and even more shocked to learn that it's happened to others.

Sorry you have to go through this. I can not believe police couldn't do anything about it? WTF? I support you and wanted that A**hole in the jail for long, after paying for your damage. I hope all other a**holes learn from this.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl