My assorted stupid newbie questions

Reaction score
With my camera hopefully about to be fixed, I've been zipping my drone around with an improvised camera setup just to get practice in and because it's quite fun.

7iYVkCU.jpg

My questions are:

1. the drone seems to be leaning slightly to the right. It's almost certain that my improvised camera mount isn't perfectly centered; would that be doing it or is the drone supposed to self-level despite that sort of thing?

2. What is the wifi extender for? Does it amplify the remote's signal, my phone's signal to the camera, both?

I recently bought the $19.99 reflective range extenders and they have helped in my screen transmission issues with the Samsung Tab A 8".
There are those that swear that they get 1 1/2 times the range (distance) out of their bird with them but I stay in line of sight.
With my camera hopefully about to be fixed, I've been zipping my drone around with an improvised camera setup just to get practice in and because it's quite fun.

7iYVkCU.jpg

My questions are:

1. the drone seems to be leaning slightly to the right. It's almost certain that my improvised camera mount isn't perfectly centered; would that be doing it or is the drone supposed to self-level despite that sort of thing?

2. What is the wifi extender for? Does it amplify the remote's signal, my phone's signal to the camera, both?

The wifi extender for the P2 is an active device which retransmits the signal from the phone to the aircraft. This is different than the passive reflective types (windsurfers) used on P3 and P4s

Reactions: J Dot and MedicFL1
So, if mine has no camera attached, and thus no phone receiving video, does the extender do anything at all for me?

Hello again,

First lol, good job on the mount! I love it!:)

Yes,
To question one, the drone will self level ( to a point ) that setup looks quite heavy, and maybe more than drone can accomplish at idle. I'd try to many try to center it a bit more.
Also the farther away from the compass, the better. So magnetic fields don't interfere with a good compass mod value. But all in all, I love the alteration, until your camera is fixed! KEEP EM FLYING, GOOD BUDDY,

Ok
For question 2
Extender
First the extender has NOTHING to do with Tx to craft transmission ( 5.8ghz signal )
But it works like this

Phone hooks to extender ( they communicate back and forth )
Extender hooks to camera wifi ( they communicate back and forth )
However, your phone CANNOT communicate with craft, and opposite, craft CANNOT communicate with phone, WITHOUT EXTENDER.

it is basically a middle man link between craft and smart device.

Hope this helps
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
OK! So right now I don't need to worry about the extender at all. That saves me some hassle for the moment.

Reactions: J Dot
I got curious enough to weigh stuff out - that phone alone outweighs the entire camera assembly by a good 20 grams, and the improvised mount adds another 42 grams to THAT.

I tried shifting the phone left, but it's JUST under the width between the landing gear so I can't move it enough to matter. It certainly works for the moment, at least! I've just been setting the phone to record a video of the entire flight then snapping screenshots on my PC of the shots I want. The photos are unamazing and tilted slightly to the right, but it's fun!

More dumb questions:

Do all the phantoms use the same rotors or are they model specific?

What's the likely maximum range of this thing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl