Mountain Flying

That's why I asked . But and there's always a but . Like today where I'm at i can fly over 1100' in elevation and not be over 400 AGL . just wanted clarification on that . Now today no one could fly for about 8 hrs as the forest fire fighting planes . The tankers were coming in low right over me scooping up water to drop on a fire across the lake . At least i think it was a fire , Could have been drills and just a smoke flare they set off for practice . they are fun to watch . They were out here last yr for a fire and flew almost everyday for a over a week
That would be interesting to watch.
But you definitely don't want to be flying around that.

I actually don't understand the confusion between AGL and MSL (FLYBOYJ, that's not a dig against you, your post just reminded me). It seems the argument (when there is one) is always whether one is restricted (via "guideline" or law) to 400 ft above ground level or 400 ft above takeoff position. The clear answer is 400 ft AGL. If one ascends to 400 ft above takeoff point, then climbs to 1000 ft above takeoff point but is only 400 ft above ground level up an incline, one is still within the guideline of 400 ft AGL (assuming one chooses to follow the guideline).

As far as the law or even a guideline, MSL really has no bearing whatsoever other than the physical limitations of the aircraft. If the law OR the guideline stated 400 ft MSL, I could only fly if I dug a really deep hole since my current MSL is about 580 ft. I'm allergic to shovels. ;)
if we're talking MSL then I'm flying between 6600'and 7800' above MSL . lol . Just did a flight where i was over 800' above take off but less then 400' above AGL during the whole flight . I do wish to fly safe and within guidelines as much as possible .

But you also implied that you are flying under Part 107, and so the 5 mile distance to the airport is not relevant - only the airspace class. Since there is no surface Class E around KWYS you are free to fly the entire area provided that you stay out of traffic.
there's another question. once you get your 107 are you always bound by it meaning now every time you fly because you have a 107 certification you will be considered flying under 107 or only when you are doing commercial work . Also when i looked it up i thought it was a five mile radius around KWYS . will double check .there is some flying i would like to do in the Madison arm of the lake that would be nice .

there's another question. once you get your 107 are you always bound by it meaning now every time you fly because you have a 107 certification you will be considered flying under 107 or only when you are doing commercial work . Also when i looked it up i thought it was a five mile radius around KWYS . will double check .there is some flying i would like to do in the Madison arm of the lake that would be nice .

No - you are not constrained to flying under Part 107 - you can still fly under Part 101 for recreation.

You thought what was a five mile radius around KWYS?

restricted air space .

I'm not sure what kind of restricted airspace you mean, but I don't see any around KWYS.

fullsizeoutput_94d.jpeg

Not even close to the same outcome
Well said.
I'm a private pilot, and not far from here is some restricted airspace. If I want to fly through it, I need to ask ATC in real time whether or not it's "hot". This is above a military training area, and sometimes they are shooting artillery. The kind of 'outcome' you could have flying through restricted airspace at the wrong time is much worse than flying through controlled airspace.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Well said.
I'm a private pilot, and not far from here is some restricted airspace. If I want to fly through it, I need to ask ATC in real time whether or not it's "hot". This is above a military training area, and sometimes they are shooting artillery. The kind of 'outcome' you could have flying through restricted airspace at the wrong time is much worse than flying through controlled airspace.
Big difference between flying /pilot and flying a drone . i used the word restricted and when it comes to drones it's very close to the same as controlled airspace . if you can't fly because your in controlled air space would be the same feeling as not being able to fly in restricted air space .

Not even close to the same outcome
sure it is . not worth arguing about if you can't fly because of controlled air space or you can't fly because of restricted air space either way you can't or shouldn't fly . a small slip on word usage should not be such a crime . lmao

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94