Motor Overload Question

A motor overload should be caused only by a bad propeller (as in: the pitch completely off), a seized bearing (damaged motor, did you have a crash?) or a motor blocked by something (touching the arm plastic or a screw too long cutting into the wires). It's not hard for an ESC to measure the current draw, if so designed. Or a bad battery that drops the voltage and creates a condition similar to an overloaded motor

A prop hard to screw on doesn't make any difference

Can you motor spin freely? Does one of the motor feel different when you spin it by hand? Did you add propeller or motor protectors that could have caused a long screw to damage the motor?

It's not that it's hard to screw the thread does not seem to catch properly.

Never had a crash touch wood.

If you have a prop that does not fully tighten, that would most likely be your problem. Get a new set of props and I would bet you will not get the overload message anymore

Yeah got the spare set gonna give them a try just not a fan of dji chats default response of send in. You would think they more than anyone would know the reasons behind there error codes.

Last edited:
A motor overload should be caused only by a bad propeller (as in: the pitch completely off), a seized bearing (damaged motor, did you have a crash?) or a motor blocked by something (touching the arm plastic or a screw too long cutting into the wires). It's not hard for an ESC to measure the current draw, if so designed. Or a bad battery that drops the voltage and creates a condition similar to an overloaded motor
A prop hard to screw on doesn't make any difference
Can you motor spin freely? Does one of the motor feel different when you spin it by hand? Did you add propeller or motor protectors that could have caused a long screw to damage the motor?

I agree with most of your post, but you cannot rule out the propeller as the cause of his problem. The fact that this particular propeller is hard to screw could be an indication that it's defective... and maybe the defect extends to something beyond the thread. Maybe, as you said, the pitch is completely off. We just don't know. And this is why we're suggesting to replace the prop and try again.

Last edited:
I got a "motor overload" warning then a "power failure" warning and it promptly landed--in the river I was over. Waiting to hear what DJI says...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z