Modified my PolarPro lens cap (Phantom 4)

Reaction score
Hey all!! Ok, get ready for pic overload! So yesterday I got my Polar Pro lens cover and once I put it on the Phantom 4 I immediately noticed that it was causing pressure between the horizontal spin axis of the gimble and the underside of the aircraft. Once on, it forces the gimble assembly to be pulled downward away from the aircraft because the top portion of the lens cap is larger than the gap at the top of the gimble assembly.

Lens cap height as compared to the natural hang gap of the gimble. As you can see, it's a bit too tall.

139CA3E7-8B1F-4449-BED8-45D53354EA33_zpszspkfdsh.jpg

First I taped off what would be cut off an broke out the Dremel:

DF4EFD4D-627F-4749-BA3E-C1245B5C93FC_zpsebs6bwjd.jpg

Then I got to cutting/ sanding:

17B98342-73BA-4529-A054-A7948C633BBC_zpsg47h955r.jpg

After a little bit of taking off bit by bit it now fits PERFECTLY!! There's now zero separation pressure between the cap assembly and the underside of the aircraft!! I left a small millimeter gap between the top of the cap and the aircraft.

595523A7-334C-47F8-9387-ABFDB75DE4CF_zpsku3kzluw.jpg

EC3D9E4E-14A2-40D0-B7BF-A6DCF04B5CFF_zpsjjbnxfud.jpg

As you can see, now the cap is not too tall when shown next to the gimble assembly:

37447914-CD6D-4242-AF22-79DF90BDDEF2_zpsku6er4ee.jpg

I hope this helps out anyone who may have also been concerned about the pressure the top of the cap assembly causes. Hopefully this will help someone else with a solution. Happy droning!!

FBA93908-B35D-47E0-85F5-6EDBDDB9E690_zps5uzmqe1d.jpg

C5093F67-04FF-410C-8838-8E16E8FAA472_zps2webnxdk.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. You have to wonder if these companies use engineers or just have one of the file clerks draw something up in Paint.

I somewhat wonder the same. The top of the cap assembly is obviously a bit too tall for the Phantom 4. Maybe they'll change the design in the future if Polar Pro has enough inquires on it.

Excellent post, got one coming, looks like about 1/8 in you took off?

Yes it was about 1/8" that was taken off. I basically went down to the top of the "ears" on the cap. That will give you a good fit and not interfere with the bottom of the aircraft. Good luck modifying yours too! Post your results here as well! :)

Does this keep the gimbal safe and secure? and how easy is it to pop on and off getting tired of using the factory one

Does this keep the gimbal safe and secure? and how easy is it to pop on and off getting tired of using the factory one

It's rather easy to take off and on. I use it for keeping my drone within easy reach at my home while providing it with lens coverage and keeping the camera stable. However, while transporting the drone in a case, I still use the factory mount as it restricts any movement of the entire gimble/ camera assembly.

The factory foam piece that actually comes on the P4 pushes down slightly on the gimbal when installed. Does that mean it would really actually damage your gimbal if you didn't cut it off? I don't know but DJI'S own piece perform's similar. I would think has to keep slight pressure to ensure the gimbal assembly doesn't move during transport. The polar pro doesn't connect to the legs so it doesn't seem it be as secure once cut off.

Sent from my LG-H811 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes it was about 1/8" that was taken off. I basically went down to the top of the "ears" on the cap. That will give you a good fit and not interfere with the bottom of the aircraft. Good luck modifying yours too! Post your results here as well! :)

I have the same issue, and the Store yelled at me saying I was putting it on the wrong way...I am very please with your solution, however I am unable to view the images, might you know why?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.