Mod Throttle stick to stay in place [HOW TO VIDEO] (remove spring)

Reaction score
Video I made on how to remove your spring and have an old/classic style phantom 3 radio throttle stick.

So the reasons I modded my joystick like this. As someone who has been flying for years and has built most of my own multirotors I have gotten used to this flying style(because that's how all radios came before DJI started doing the return to mid point thing). I find that the benefits of flying with a throttle stick that stays where you put it is that you get more precises shots with altitude changes while being able to control the tilt all at once. For example if i'm gaining altitude over the roof of a house while moving forward. I can take my hand completely off the left joystick and put all my efforts of my left hand controlling the camera tilt control to have a precise frame. Also the build in dji throttle curve makes its very easy to keep the UAV's altitude without having to look at osd.

I understand some people don't like this way of flying but it will help someone who wants to do this mod so here it is!

Throttle Flight Test

Last edited:
I guess for experienced pilots and maybe LOS but now it could 'creep' up or down if not careful.

Reactions: karlKarlKarl
I guess for experienced pilots and maybe LOS but now it could 'creep' up or down if not careful.
It could creep up or down if not careful but if you watch the test flight at the end of the video you'll see how the DJI throttle curves make it hover in place very easily.

Does it hold it's position when you let off the stick or flop to the bottom?
Holds position. in the video I use a spring still clip from a dx5 on the back of the p3p throttle stick. Watch that faster version of the video to see (right at the beginning)

At this point

It is harder to fly because you have to have one correct position to hover and if you are not right on -- it could descend or ascend if your attention were diverted to taking photographs.

All helipilots know that flying a heli which has the left stick configured this way is a full time hands hands on operation that requires full time attention to the bird and control input. IMHO it is not the control technique any photographer wants to use.

It is harder to fly because you have to have one correct position to hover and if you are not right on -- it could descend or ascend if your attention were diverted to taking photographs.

All helipilots know that flying a heli which has the left stick configured this way is a full time hands hands on operation that requires full time attention to the bird and control input. IMHO it is not the control technique any photographer wants to use.
I agree. for a PHOTOgrapher its not ideal however as an experienced VIDEOgrapher its a whole different story. Especially when you're used to flying that way. I can see being new to the hobby and learning to fly with both sticks returning to center and HATING this way. But this is for the older guys who wanna keep flying this stick style on their new DJI crafts

On the DIY/custom copters that I used for AP before I the P3P, I used this control method and it worked great. High end commercial cinematographers with custom built rigs also use this method since they are mostly using higher end radios. It's not invalid, it's just a preference. Luckily the P3 transmitter is precise enough that you can easily mantain altitude just by centering the stick, whether or not there is a spring to pull it back to center. IMO this control method works great when you shift between FPV and LOS flight a lot.

On the DIY/custom copters that I used for AP before I the P3P, I used this control method and it worked great. High end commercial cinematographers with custom built rigs also use this method since they are mostly using higher end radios. It's not invalid, it's just a preference. Luckily the P3 transmitter is precise enough that you can easily mantain altitude just by centering the stick, whether or not there is a spring to pull it back to center. IMO this control method works great when you shift between FPV and LOS flight a lot.
As a high end commercial cinematographer with a custom built rig for heavy cameras I think you can get more dynamic shots with the throttle that stays in position. The best shots are usually reveals and being able to keep the same rate of ascent is key. (Maybe i'm just really used to it)

Glad you mentioned a good use and your experience.

But it's a disaster for the average new drone pilot.

The saving feature of the current design is that one can just let go of the sticks for hovering to regain composure in a tight situation or if he/she panics or wants a break.

I can see where this would be very useful for videographers, but I'm not there yet.

I'm still amazed at what a salty bunch PhantomPilots can be. Very strongly opinionated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl