Mission Planner (FPV Camera – iOS Waypoints App) Available Now

Here is the video of my first mission

Thanks for the video. We are aware of little gimbal tilting glitch upon changing targets from one to another. If you don't change targets, it should be fairly smooth. We have derived a new Auto-Tilt algorithm for changing targets and smooth out the tilting. The new algorithm will be available in the next update.

The maximum descending rate is about 10 ft/s, and it should be safe.

Just a little feedback here.

Just bought FPVBooster with the mission control module, and I must say I like it. Sadly, I feel DJI dropped the ball on offering long-promised waypoints and camera moves in the form of a mission planner, and this app fills the bill nicely. I don't think I'll need to go back to GO for anything now, since I could care less about the GO social features or live streaming.

32 channel video without hacking GO is a big plus as well, thank you.

I would offer a few suggestions, however:

1) The basic FPV Camera module does not seem to offer much if any improvement over the GO app. It seems to do essentially the same things, but has a less intuitive set of preferences/GUI for accessing camera settings. I would have simply made the app free with this basic "GO clone" module. You may be able to customize some of the telemetry, but I don't think that makes it worth $9, and personally I could care less about anything but the basic telem.

2) The ground station is clearly where this app shines, and IMO, it's only reason for the app existing. Just charge a bit more for GS and make the basic app with "camera" free. I dunno, I guess it just feels insulting to have to pay for Camera (an app which frankly doesn't do much) only to have to pay again for GS.

3) I love the ease with which you can add and remove GS waypoints, specify targets, etc. It adds a completely new dimension to setting up shots, that GO simply can't touch with it's ridiculous "fly it first" paradigm.

4) I Do not however like the lack of a true POI function. While I understand that something similar can be accomplished by encircling the POI with waypoints, it's not the same thing, and it shows in the video as a somewhat harsh transition depending on how many waypoints you drop and what the radius (S, M or L) is. It's a lot of guesswork that MAYBE will produce a smooth POI shot, but more often will not.

5) My suggestion would be (similar to altitude) to have a radii slider for EACH waypoint. The default is whatever the global radius is. Show the radii visually on the map. A proper POI could be set up using just 3 or 4 waypoints, and most importantly the transitions could be much smoother.

If this is not something that you want to do, then at least show the existing (S, M, L) radii setting visually when drawing the legs.

6) Speed is global. It should similarly be available on a per-waypoint basis.

Again, great app, and FINALLY I have something for iOS that gives me a reason to ditch GO. Please don't stop making it better.

Just a little feedback here.

Just bought FPVBooster with the mission control module, and I must say I like it. Sadly, I feel DJI dropped the ball on offering long-promised waypoints and camera moves in the form of a mission planner, and this app fills the bill nicely. I don't think I'll need to go back to GO for anything now, since I could care less about the GO social features or live streaming.

32 channel video without hacking GO is a big plus as well, thank you.
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I suggest to read Mission Planner overview to learn the features and limitations.
I would offer a few suggestions, however:

1) The basic FPV Camera module does not seem to offer much if any improvement over the GO app. It seems to do essentially the same things, but has a less intuitive set of preferences/GUI for accessing camera settings. I would have simply made the app free with this basic "GO clone" module. You may be able to customize some of the telemetry, but I don't think that makes it worth $9, and personally I could care less about anything but the basic telem.
In Camera mode, we prefer a neat design instead of putting many buttons & settings around FPV screen like DJI GO and other apps. Auto-zoom and auto-bearing navigation map with Pilot Wand are the keys in Camera mode. This is very useful for long range flyers with directional antenna modded. It helps them to aim their antenna easier.
2) The ground station is clearly where this app shines, and IMO, it's only reason for the app existing. Just charge a bit more for GS and make the basic app with "camera" free. I dunno, I guess it just feels insulting to have to pay for Camera (an app which frankly doesn't do much) only to have to pay again for GS.
Many users also bought FPV Goggles and obviously they see the value. They enjoy flying FPV with a very affordable solution instead of spending hundreds on HDMI module and goggles.
3) I love the ease with which you can add and remove GS waypoints, specify targets, etc. It adds a completely new dimension to setting up shots, that GO simply can't touch with it's ridiculous "fly it first" paradigm.

4) I Do not however like the lack of a true POI function. While I understand that something similar can be accomplished by encircling the POI with waypoints, it's not the same thing, and it shows in the video as a somewhat harsh transition depending on how many waypoints you drop and what the radius (S, M or L) is. It's a lot of guesswork that MAYBE will produce a smooth POI shot, but more often will not.
Both POI and panorama are in the road map. We have been working on those now. Curved corner waypoints are not intended to replace POI, nor vice versa. Waypoints and POI are for different purposes.
5) My suggestion would be (similar to altitude) to have a radii slider for EACH waypoint. The default is whatever the global radius is. Show the radii visually on the map. A proper POI could be set up using just 3 or 4 waypoints, and most importantly the transitions could be much smoother.

If this is not something that you want to do, then at least show the existing (S, M, L) radii setting visually when drawing the legs.
Waypoints radius is calculated by the app depending on many factors. A2 flight controller would not accept invalid radius value upload. Thus, you can't put whatever value as you like.
6) Speed is global. It should similarly be available on a per-waypoint basis.
This is limited by SDK and firmware with a global speed per mission. However, you may check the tutorial video in the OP about how to use RC pitch & yaw control in Mission Planner. You can speed up or slow down mission speed with RC pitch.

Here is the link for the US App Store FPV Camera on the App Store

If you click the link on iPad/iPhone, it should be re-directed to the correct store.

Thanks but the info on pricing only shows up if you are on an apple product and I am not unless I am using the quad. I did check it out there. I find it is a bit way too high priced. There are some nice features but I think you are pricing yourself out of the market. I know you are pushing the subscription but the end user does not benefit from it as much. So $9 for the basic app, another fee to get logging and another $18 to get mission planner then there will be add ons for POI that will cost extra? And extra for a panorama? So to get an initial app that has something useful, is $34, that is the basic price. That gives you logging and mission planner. And then how much for any add-ons? Over priced for me unless there something more useful than what I am seeing. Copilot found that out and dropped the price.

Alan

Thanks but the info on pricing only shows up if you are on an apple product and I am not unless I am using the quad. I did check it out there. I find it is a bit way too high priced. There are some nice features but I think you are pricing yourself out of the market. I know you are pushing the subscription but the end user does not benefit from it as much. So $9 for the basic app, another fee to get logging and another $18 to get mission planner then there will be add ons for POI that will cost extra? And extra for a panorama? So to get an initial app that has something useful, is $34, that is the basic price. That gives you logging and mission planner. And then how much for any add-ons? Over priced for me unless there something more useful than what I am seeing. Copilot found that out and dropped the price.

Alan
Thanks again for the feedback. As a small app developer and we keep enhancing the app, we need to justify the development cost somehow. Maybe you will see the value later after a couple of app updates in the next few months.

Some people prefer spending $30 on a set of carbon props, a piece of ND filter, a set of drone skin or an useful app. I think it all depends on personal justification.

If you don't like the pricing, don't buy it, but don't cry about it. I am tired of people investing $2000 in P3P and accessories and ***** about a $30 - $40 app. I'll bet most of the bitchers are on someone's payroll and have no idea what it cost to run a business. I'm on your side FPV Camera.

Reactions: Toddzilla
I don't think people are bitching, it's called feedback, copilot over priced theirs app and have now reduced it, litchi on the android is very good and is cheaper, I have bought fpv and think it could be a litchi beater , so if people don't say anything about the price the the developer has no idea apart from no sales

If you don't like the pricing, don't buy it, but don't cry about it. I am tired of people investing $2000 in P3P and accessories and ***** about a $30 - $40 app. I'll bet most of the bitchers are on someone's payroll and have no idea what it cost to run a business. I'm on your side FPV Camera.

Actually I don't care what you think and it was not directed at you. The knee jerk reactions get tiring. I do run a business so I do have a clue. The initial price is misleading at $9. The real basic cost for a usable app is $34 and then there are a lot of things are going to added to bring it up to the functionality of other apps. I was pointing out was that I think he is pricing himself a bit high, but that again that is an opinion. Since the vast majority are doing this for a hobby and it is not a business expense then costs do add up.

Alan

Last edited:
My second day with the app and I really like it. I have spent 3 years building, buying and trying to get to this point. All I can say I'm a fan and can't wait for some updates and improvements. Enjoy another video of some more testing.

Reactions: PVFlyer
Thanks again for the feedback. As a small app developer and we keep enhancing the app, we need to justify the development cost somehow. Maybe you will see the value later after a couple of app updates in the next few months.

Some people prefer spending $30 on a set of carbon props, a piece of ND filter, a set of drone skin or an useful app. I think it all depends on personal justification.
Purchased the subscription last evening-- flew it today-- awesome-- just would like a little camera tilt and yaw control between waypoints. Is that coming?

Purchased the subscription last evening-- flew it today-- awesome-- just would like a little camera tilt and yaw control between waypoints. Is that coming?
You may adjust tilting with Auto-Tilt Offset in Fly tab.

• Auto-Tilt Offset - Aircraft height (altimeter) may easily vary 15-20m (50-66ft) off the actual height, or users might misjudge target height. Auto-Tilt Offset allows you to adjust camera tilting in real-time of maximum +/-10° to compensate aforementioned discrepancy. This option is only available in Target WP mission.

Reactions: bobmyers
It means the you are in curve mode and you must set it to straight line mode to enable the actions, this is set at the beginning

Last edited:
I cannot get mine to work. All I get is a message "exceed pilot/home distance". I don't understand the message especially when I am in an open field and all waypoints are less than 300 yards. A manual would help
That's a configurable Custom Warning. If you use Wifi only iPad, you may enable "Combine Home/Pilot Point" under Settings | Navigation Map.

I suggest to read both Help > FPV Camera > Features and Help > Mission Planner > Features to learn the basics of the app.

[Edit 2015/11/20]: The new update of FPV Camera v1.3 (with Mission Planner) is available in iTunes App Store now. We also introduce a new All-In-One monthly subscription model in the new update. FPV Camera on the App Store

We have been conducting a private beta testing of Mission Planner in the past 3 weeks. We are about to start a small scale (round one) public beta testing, targeting 50 beta testers on iPad. If you are interested to join, please sign up at Beta Registration Form. We expect beta testers willing to provide feedback on problems/bugs and suggestions to improve the app.

We would like to share with you 2 videos of “Fly Multi-Target Mission” and “Setup Multi-Target Mission” to get an idea how it works.

Mission Planner is an advanced ground station to program autonomous waypoint flight based on Google Map for creating superior footage. You can set maximum 99 waypoints in conjunction with multiple shooting targets in a single continuous mission. With aid of progressive Auto-Tilt gimbal control, it always keeps your targets right at the center of your footage with smooth camera tilting from one target to another even with some very difficult footage.

Mission Planner is powerful and easy to use. It guides you through mission setup step-by-step. You can plan your mission anywhere you like without requiring connection to RC or aircraft, then save the mission file on your iOS devices for future use like a document file.

A simple tutorial of RC pitch & yaw control in Mission Planner.

*** Important Notes to Beta Testers ***
Aircraft height (altimeter) may easily vary 20m (66ft) off the actual height after aircraft flying and heating up several minutes. You are recommended to set waypoint height minimum 25m (82ft). For example, if you set a waypoint height 25m, when aircraft reaches such waypoint 10 minutes later, the actual height might be only 5m (17ft) depending on the discrepancy of altimeter, though the altimeter is still reporting 25m height. This is likely a generic issue of DJI products family regardless apps or even without using app.
Ok so I bought the app. Now what is everyone else doing paying full price after you pay the 8.99?, or doing the monthly thing? A little disappointed that I didn't read the in-app purchases before I spent my 8.99. Hopefully its worth it all.

Ok so I bought the app. Now what is everyone else doing paying full price after you pay the 8.99?, or doing the monthly thing? A little disappointed that I didn't read the in-app purchases before I spent my 8.99. Hopefully its worth it all.
It's worth it.

Do people have to pay for updates after buying this? By updates I mean like a firmware updates? What are you planning on adding in the future to justify a $3.99 a month subscription?

Rchjr

Thanks a lot for your support and opinion. We understand well this is not a high volume app anyway (unlike DJI GO) targeting only a small percentage of P3 pilots who really need the advanced features.

If we couldn't justify the development cost (2,000+ hours), we are then forced to cease the new development or seek for some other alternatives, such as ads. in the app. I don't think that's what our users willing to see.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor