Max range on controller / ways to increase range?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Curious what the max "safe" range is on the controller (variable conditions such as trees and obstructions, not the very most that has been measured in a wide open field!). I've heard to keep it within 500m LOS but it seems i've pushed it further out than that. I'm also wondering if anyone's hacked the antenna to increase usable range on both the aircraft and on their transmitter.

Just FYI: the FC40 has the same controller & receiver as the Phantom 2 Vision and Vision Plus. You can look at the threads in those forums regarding controller range.
Yes, lots of folks have hacked in replacement antennas to get massive range.

You can also use a wifi extender to increase the camera range.

Also see: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27060

There is a hole on the back of the controller that allows you, with a Phillips screwdriver, to put it in FCC mode - if you are in the US. It is the lower of two holes on the unit. The upper one is for a lever to control a gimbal.

If the transmitter beeps twice when you turn it on, it's already in FCC mode

The listed range for that mode is 800 yards. Most will go further than that before the signal is lost.

You can add an antenna connector and use higher gain antennas to increase the range.

Line of sight... I had to keep increasing altitude so I could still see it beyond the tree line. After 700 meters I couldn't see the tiny dot anymore but I pressed forward. I made sure to test return to he first and initiated return to home after going forward for about 2-3 minutes.

How did you measure the distance? Flytrex? or did you compare your video shots with Google Maps?
I mostly do a 360 degree turn the moment I choose to turn home so I can later check the position with Google Maps. Even if I don't see it anymore. First a full turn and then RTH.

lake_flyer said:
How did you measure the distance? Flytrex? or did you compare your video shots with Google Maps?
I mostly do a 360 degree turn the moment I choose to turn home so I can later check the position with Google Maps. Even if I don't see it anymore. First a full turn and then RTH.

Google Maps here. Fly to a location then use the MEASURE feature. Not exactly accurate, but then again, nothing is fully accurate! Just need a general rule of thumb.

CityZen said:
Just FYI: the FC40 has the same controller & receiver as the Phantom 2 Vision and Vision Plus.

I think the FC40 uses 5.8Ghz for control and the P2 & Vision+ uses 2.4Ghz for control.

nope. The P2 has 2.4, but the Vision2+ and Vision+ have 5.8GHz Rx/Tx, just like the FC40.

P2 and Vision is constantly mixed up, and not only by you :D but almost everybody on the web. Must be very confusing for newbies I imagine.
Vision owners chiming in on P2 specific questions, for instance, can seriously give a wrong idea about what to expect from a P2.

With the new P2 V2 (non Vision) the confusion is complete.

:roll: I think I"m going to have my VISION checked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl