Mavic Release Discussion

So let's learn about it. Where is it documented?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Saw it from a DJI rep in the forums, some examples shown here. Even though the same rep did say in the same thread that P4 is to be expected to have a slightly better picture (I think I quoted it in one of my previous posts)

Mavic VS Phantom4

Also some other forum posts posted here again had similar mentions and interventions from 'DJI Staff'

Yes.
So when I use my sunshade on bright sunny days and can actually see my phone it has nothing to do with the sunshade? lol. I guess you would know better than me what I'm looking at. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

OMG The Mavic Pro is DOA and we didn't even knew about it! (I didn't....)

In my opinion the inspire still is the best drone on the market, kicks ***, and compared to the Mavic, the inspire is [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] if the inspire could talk he be like "wtf is this ****" only good news outta this is prices on phantoms are ace! Stick with tried and tested, not some silly toy that won't stand a chance in 30mph winds [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I feel bad for Lily drone. They raised a little over 30 millions and still no show. Mavic has everything Lily has sans waterproofing. A company that has 30 millions and still perfecting the now common features ( follow me, circling, selfies), I wonder who is gonna buy that when it comes out, outdated.
The Lily has been in production for a month or so I believe, according to their website, but I can't imagine any new orders coming in once they've fulfilled their back orders. I think it'll hurt to produce 60,000 units at the pre-release price, and then there's nowhere for them to go, business wise.

Casey Neistat reviews the image quality of P4 vs. Mavic again. I was initially thinking of selling my P4 for a Mavic but not anymore.

Reactions: Tracerfire
The Mavic takes pictures of its take-off point so it can land extremely close to the same spot it took off from.

One tap on the phone will change the focus to infinity.

I don't think that's why it has focus.
The take off pictures are taken from the downward pointing stereo cameras for realigning when landing.
The main camera can focus close up for selfies. [emoji16]

Reactions: therons
I'm wondering if the folded propellers will last longer if unfolded by hand first instead of letting them slam in position with full force each time the motors start. Wear and tear wise.

I feel bad for the backers of the Lily drone who spent $500 and still have no drone 2 yrs later. I remember people sending me the link, saying how it was going to be better then my P2. Well turns out that DJI released a whole lot of better drones before Lily got anything out the door. It looked cool but I thought they used a DJI to get the footage they said was from the Lily. I would rather buy something that exists then vapourware. I do like the new Mavic but I don't think I will be trading in the P3A for it soon since the footage looks really soft and not near as good. The range and flight time looks amazing but I rarely fly that far out, so even a 500m range would work fine for me, long as there is good video signal I am happy. I thought the GoPro Karma looks really interesting, a number of people already have a Hero4 or will upgrade to a Hero5, and then you get a drone and a gimbal for $800. I think that's a price point that people can live with, like all the sales on the P3P's over the P4 because of the price point and cost/feature ratio. That being said the Mavic does look pretty sweet, if they fix the image quality it will be the next drone purchase.

I don't think you need to feel bad for the backers of the Lily drone. Sure it's a shame that Lily failed to deliver what they promised. But they are honest and a good company. I was one of those backers - from May 2015 when that amazing video first came out. I received a full refund a week ago. I cancelled when it was 100% clear that even if they did succeed, I would no longer want their drone. I don't care about their one remaining extra feature: water-proofing but maybe someone is a kayaker and that is the killer feature for them. It was not at all difficult for me to get a refund - it just took a couple of days. I have a feeling that very many of us backers have cancelled by now.

I do feel a little sorry for them and their naivete. I met with their CEO and CTO and others and while they are earnest and smart and hard-working, they are all young and did not have a realistic view of the magnitude their task. But they're young and learned a TON. So it's not all bad for them.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I'll leave that to the great curators at Wikipedia: Infinity focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Actually, that's one of the most terrible Wikipedia pages I've ever encountered.

From a non-technical standpoint, focusing at infinity just means that everything is in focus equally. Think of the difference between most iPhone photos - where you can equally see what's in the foreground and what's in the background - and good portraits where everything behind the subject are out of focus (an effect colloquially called 'bokeh')

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the out of focus areas, an obsession started by the Japanese and now a gloabal thing. Pleasing bokeh is achieved by the number of iris blades forming the aperture stop, I cant off the top of my head remember but it is around 8 blades that start to give you the purity that enthusiasts are after, the more circular the iris then the better the bokeh.
Depth of field is what gives you "illusion" that everything is in focus from close up to infintity, in reality everything is not in focus but is acceptably close enough to please our eyes.
Because the Phantoms use a very wide angle lens you do not need to stop down very far to give a huge depth of field, hence our pics and vids from thhe Phantom look good.
The mavic does not have as wide an angle a lens so its apparent depth of focus will be less and more critical to how we perseeve the final images

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Hi guys.. come across this video that will put your minds to rest about the mavic image quality! I think it looks great!

Hi guys.. come across this video that will put your minds to rest about the mavic image quality! I think it looks great!

Thank you for posting this, I'm very satisfied with the pic quality I just saw. I'm not expert on photography but for my needs this will be just fine.

Ok looks good for what it is yet even focused it does seem a lot softer to me. As for sharpening via software over post-prod not too crazy about it, I prefer to tone done the original data. But this will surely please 99% of the audience the Mavic is for.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots.

you guys in US are so lucky. for you buying new drone is two weeks of work basically, here in Europe the price is more than month salary :(
Lucky your not working job in Asia as typical working class...it would be really LOTS of weeks and months for the common job people.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
why would anyone buy a phantom 4 compared with this?? What does the Phantom 4 do better?
Which is why I'm confused really. The Phantom 4 was still so popular and DJI has been killing it. It seems like they are cannibalizing themselves right before the holidays. Thie Mavic looks amazing

It doesn't seem confusing to me. They are moving forward with the times. They have countered the Karma. They'll probably release an upgraded P4 at some point too with some nice features this doesn't have like side/back obstacle detection. Can't wait to get my Mavic, it will be my 5th different drone model from DJI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94