Mavic Release Discussion

I feel bad for Lily drone. They raised a little over 30 millions and still no show. Mavic has everything Lily has sans waterproofing. A company that has 30 millions and still perfecting the now common features ( follow me, circling, selfies), I wonder who is gonna buy that when it comes out, outdated.
I feel bad for the backers of the Lily drone who spent $500 and still have no drone 2 yrs later. I remember people sending me the link, saying how it was going to be better then my P2. Well turns out that DJI released a whole lot of better drones before Lily got anything out the door. It looked cool but I thought they used a DJI to get the footage they said was from the Lily. I would rather buy something that exists then vapourware. I do like the new Mavic but I don't think I will be trading in the P3A for it soon since the footage looks really soft and not near as good. The range and flight time looks amazing but I rarely fly that far out, so even a 500m range would work fine for me, long as there is good video signal I am happy. I thought the GoPro Karma looks really interesting, a number of people already have a Hero4 or will upgrade to a Hero5, and then you get a drone and a gimbal for $800. I think that's a price point that people can live with, like all the sales on the P3P's over the P4 because of the price point and cost/feature ratio. That being said the Mavic does look pretty sweet, if they fix the image quality it will be the next drone purchase.

Can anyone confirm how Casey got the drone to focus?

I really just want it to Auto-focus like my Phantom 4 did...I don't want to have to keep tapping the screen to focus.

Can anyone confirm how Casey got the drone to focus?

I really just want it to Auto-focus like my Phantom 4 did...I don't want to have to keep tapping the screen to focus.
The Mavic takes pictures of its take-off point so it can land extremely close to the same spot it took off from.

One tap on the phone will change the focus to infinity.

The Mavic takes pictures of its take-off point so it can land extremely close to the same spot it took off from.

One tap on the phone will change the focus to infinity.
Ok, so I'll only have to tap it once while it's in the air?

I personally hate tap to touch on my iPhone and X out of the Camera and reopen when that happens since it messes with everything else.

Why can't they make this drone focus like the 4?

I find it dubious to think that there would be no way to lock the focus at infinity without having to do it every flight; that just seems like basic functionality. It's just a matter of finding the setting. We should have these answers in less than 3 weeks.

I personally hate tap to touch on my iPhone and X out of the Camera and reopen when that happens since it messes with everything else.

Firmware will correct it. Next Mav will have foldable landing gear and a Controller that can expand to accept iPad.

I find it dubious to think that there would be no way to lock the focus at infinity without having to do it every flight; that just seems like basic functionality. It's just a matter of finding the setting. We should have these answers in less than 3 weeks.
Thanks. So for right now (as is) I'll need to tap the screen once to get it to work properly?

I'm no pro, so maybe you could explain the difference with this focus and "Infinity" focus.

I'm no pro, so maybe you could explain the difference with this focus and "Infinity" focus.

I'll leave that to the great curators at Wikipedia: Infinity focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Actually, that's one of the most terrible Wikipedia pages I've ever encountered.

From a non-technical standpoint, focusing at infinity just means that everything is in focus equally. Think of the difference between most iPhone photos - where you can equally see what's in the foreground and what's in the background - and good portraits where everything behind the subject are out of focus (an effect colloquially called 'bokeh')

All of the Phantoms had infinite focus.

Interesting how there was no mention of the Mavic having focus modes.

image.gif

They are a bit different.;)
Yes.

Airplane mode will stop that on your phone.

Does your P4 take pictures (without your knowledge) of its take off point so it can land where it took off?

Learning curve for all of us,:)

TLDR - thanks :)
Is it really autofocus if you have to tap something >50m after take off??

Camera
  • Stabilized 4K camera [DJI]
  • 2x digital zoom [blade strike]
  • Smallest-ever 3-axis gimbal for shake-free photos & video [DJI]
  • Autofocus camera features a minimum focusing distance of just 19 in (0.5 m) and can be flipped 90 degrees to portrait mode for vertical selfies and video[DJI]
  • Records 4K video at 30fps & full 1080p HD at 96fps [DJI]
  • 12-megapixel camera with Adobe DNG RAW support has been expertly tuned for aerial images[DJI]
  • Can shoot 2-second-long exposures [DJI]
  • Camera sensor: 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M) [DJI specs]
  • Camera lens: FOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2; Distortion < 1.5% Focus from 0.5 m to ∞ [DJI specs]
  • Shutter speed: 8s -1/8000s [DJI specs]
  • ISO range: 100-3200 (video); 100-1600 (photo) [DJI specs]
  • Max Image Size: 4000×3000 [DJI specs]
  • Photo Modes: Single shot, Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames, Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7, EV Bias, Interval [DJI specs]
  • Video Recording Modes: C4K: 4096×2160 24p, 4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p, 2.7K: 2704×1520 24/25/30p, FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p, HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p [DJI specs]
  • Max Video Bitrate: 60 Mbps [DJI specs]
  • Gimbal Tilt: Pitch: -90° to +30° [DJI specs]
  • Camera has same 1/2.3 inch sensor, same frame as P3/P4/Inspire X3 [DJI Propulsion (Dr Turbo)]
  • The FOV of Mavic is smaller, at 78.8 degrees [DJI Propulsion (Dr Turbo)]
  • Auto Focus camera with a nearest focus range of 0.5 meter, and can rotate 90 degrees to portrait mode. All in all, good for selfie. [DJI Propulsion (Dr Turbo)]
  • Camera Cover: It is to protect the camera for transport. Easily removable. Yes you can fly with it but it is not recommended. [Tahoe Ed]
  • Camera Cover: leave off for best quality and on when transporting [blade strike]
  • How to set Focus: It works just like an x5. Tap the area you want focused and it focuses. If you focus on something 50m out, it's pretty much set to infinity. [blade strike]
  • Streams at 1080p to your phone/goggles (rather than the 720p of the Phantom 4) [Scott Simmie]
  • You can flip the camera 90-degrees for portrait oriented shots [B&H]

I'll leave that to the great curators at Wikipedia: Infinity focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Actually, that's one of the most terrible Wikipedia pages I've ever encountered.

From a non-technical standpoint, focusing at infinity just means that everything is in focus equally. Think of the difference between most iPhone photos - where you can equally see what's in the foreground and what's in the background - and good portraits where everything behind the subject are out of focus (an effect colloquially called 'bokeh')
Ok, thanks. If we have to tap it to get Infinity - what's the stock focus settings?

lol wow, people really need to learn about this tap to focus thing, their footage looks like crap...This is clearly a software feature of some sort, DJI prolly will need to disable it or inexperienced user will shoot blurry footage (in 4K though!)

lol wow, people really need to learn about this tap to focus thing, their footage looks like crap...This is clearly a software feature of some sort, DJI prolly will need to disable it or inexperienced user will shoot blurry footage (in 4K though!)

So let's learn about it. Where is it documented?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: joebar.rc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94