Mavic Release Discussion

Thats also alot of $ if your planning on getting the Mav + GopRo + hand gimbal. Alot of people don't have $ growing in their backyard.
Many already have a hero 4 so it'd just be the additional cost of the Karma Grip $299

The comments suggesting that because GoPro spent so much time developing the Karma, it should be less troublesome, don't make sense to me.. The Lily selfie drone should be the best in the world by that reasoning, but it's rather like a waterproof Parrot Bebop as far as I can make out. DJI hit the ground running in that respect, as developing a new drone is only a rational progression from the previous drone, no matter how radical it appears to be.. Gimbals for your smartphone are cheap on eBay, and some smartphones have astoundingly good cameras.

Exactly, no need for the Karma when you can buy a Mavic, GoPro and selfie stick. Two cameras and the best of both worlds.
Uh, no. You don't have a clue. a gimbal isn't close to a selfie stick...
selfie stick.jpg

First you mention it's all about film and fly and say the karma is the best because of the removable camera. [emoji519] and [emoji521]?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

A detachable camera is not at all important to me, I have other cameras for this.
Not with a 3 axis gimbal you don't, I'd wager.
*******.jpg

Seriously there that good....lets wait and see and have to disagree with you on the statement you make regarding the p4 is dead, not a chance I own one and am certainly not bitter, mavic is in a different category , its like saying a mini cooper is in the same league as a toyota landcruiser, both are really good in their own right but not the same :)
Hold up there... I'd say the Mavic is more Nissan 370Z than Mini Cooper!

Reactions: bumblebee14
Anyone have a feeling that there are GoPro employees trying to do damage control here? I mean come on, the Karma has pathetic range, and also loses in speed, portability, software, and unknown development and support. Karma MAY attract a casual user or two, but for anyone to say it's a better drone is just mind boggling.

Uh, no. You don't have a clue. a gimbal isn't close to a selfie stick...
View attachment 66027
I do, I was mocking the Karma grip by calling it a selfie stick.

Is the GoPro stabilizer water and mud proof? Mounting my GoPro in that on my quad would likely make for better footage when I'm hitting big doubles and whoops.

Anyone have a feeling that there are GoPro employees trying to do damage control here? I mean come on, the Karma has pathetic range, and also loses in speed, portability, software, and unknown development and support. Karma MAY attract a casual user or two, but for anyone to say it's a better drone is just mind boggling.
It does seem that way. I can see many people buying both.

First you mention it's all about film and fly and say the karma is the best because of the removable camera. [emoji519] and [emoji521]?

A detachable camera is not at all important to me, I have other cameras for this.

I am not saying it is any better - I'm talking cost versus value and IMO there is a lot more value in the Karma considering the cost and what you get for filming n flying or walking or riding or surfing or hiking etc! Versus outfitting the Mavic to do the same! To each their own - right!

"Lets be realistic - the obstacle avoidance (on the front only) and the autonomous flying are not any kind of make or break options when considering the actual intent as to fly and film!"

I disagree - the obstacle avoidance and visual sensors mean my jungle-trekking trips can now feature drone footage under the tree canopy as well as above it, something I wouldn't want to try with my Phantom3 (or a Karma). It's a significant reason as to why I intend buying one.

I've complained long and hard about how bulky the Phantoms are, and only reluctantly bought one for a recent trip, while wondering if I should have paid more for a GDU Bryd Advanced, which has a longer range and folds up. But I wasn't 100% convinced I wanted or needed a drone. My Phantom 3 Standard has convinced me that yes, yes I do, but the bulk thing was still an issue.

The Karma seemed almost perfect for me, and I could see the value, but despite my gripes about the size of the Phantom, I just couldn't really see me spending another $1000 or so, just to have a somewhat smaller backpack. I liked it but decided to hang on until I either destroyed my P3 or the price came down - but the Mavic? The Mavic means my P3 is now for sale :)

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I disagree - the obstacle avoidance and visual sensors mean my jungle-trekking trips can now feature drone footage under the tree canopy as well as above it, something I wouldn't want to try with my Phantom3 (or a Karma). It's a significant reason as to why I intend buying one.

And there is nothing wrong with disagreeing and I can sincerely see why this would work great for you having that extra safety net - so to speak - (OA and VS) and when flying in close quarters like that. I can also see the definitive reasoning behind a smaller package for guys who travel a lot like yourself.

Seriously you do "Jungle Treks"? Would like to see some of that footage - bet it's great. Safe flying n filming wherever that might be!

Reactions: Topherchris
I am not saying it is any better - I'm talking cost versus value and IMO there is a lot more value in the Karma considering the cost and what you get for filming n flying or walking or riding or surfing or hiking etc! Versus outfitting the Mavic to do the same! To each their own - right!

The definition of "value" is different for each person. For someone who's a snowboarder/surfer/biker like me, a "follow-me" mode is one feature that is of significant value to me. It is something the Karma does not have, therefore it is high cost and of very low value to me. Considering GoPro's marketing and sponsorships always targeted action sports enthusiasts, it was quite surprising.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I am not saying it is any better - I'm talking cost versus value
The value of something is subjective. I'm not for or against either. I don't know enough about either. I know they both look cool. They both seem to fly well. Both take great shots. Time will tell but likely, DJI, Cassey Neistats recommendation, will be the king.

Kind of, phantom 4 is better then Mavic. Better wake up, guys!

The comments suggesting that because GoPro spent so much time developing the Karma, it should be less troublesome, don't make sense to me.. The Lily selfie drone should be the best in the world by that reasoning, but it's rather like a waterproof Parrot Bebop as far as I can make out. DJI hit the ground running in that respect, as developing a new drone is only a rational progression from the previous drone, no matter how radical it appears to be.. Gimbals for your smartphone are cheap on eBay, and some smartphones have astoundingly good cameras.
I feel bad for Lily drone. They raised a little over 30 millions and still no show. Mavic has everything Lily has sans waterproofing. A company that has 30 millions and still perfecting the now common features ( follow me, circling, selfies), I wonder who is gonna buy that when it comes out, outdated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures