Mavic Release Discussion

Back in the earlier Phantom days you had to take off from a level surface, but its less of a problem these days. If you think about it its quite common for people to hand launch, launch from boats etc. Sure it has to be level enough not to tip over when the motors spin up but I don't think it has to be spirit level level.

I have my doubts on the quality of the camera compared with the Phantom series but I think you balance that with the convenience and portability of it and its a winning product.

I certainly placed an order!
Maybe the newer ones remember what level is. I don't know. I just know how my birds are.

Hiya, how can you even compare them, yes it has as much features as the p4 but the mavic is a toy quality feel about it, plastic and very light. P4 is a lot more sturdy and look at the screen on the mavic , even with.a phone way to.small if your looking at it for long periods of time.
Last I checked my phantom was made out of plastic

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I am really excited about this release. I love my P3S but the range is driving me nuts. This looks like it will check all boxes as far as a perfect flying camera!

I noticed a good amount of Phantoms were recently listed in the classifieds.....:D

I appreciate your point of view (and I share your disdain for "Vlog folks," believe me), but I don't agree with your assessment of the Mavic. Granted, I've obviously not seen or flown one personally yet, but from the research I've done, it's everything the P4 is -- and more. It's the best of both worlds. I would be very surprised if the camera on the Mavic were not superior to the one on the P4. Plus, it's so much smaller, has a far superior form factor, better obstacle avoidance technology, an awesome proprietary controller, better range, better FPV flying, new and improved video transmission technology, and the list goes on and on.

I just see no reason whatsoever for DJI to even sell the Phantoms any more unless they literally cut their prices to 1/3 of what they are selling for now.

It makes me mad, too, because I have a lot invested in my Phantom. 4 batteries, extra charger, charging station, carrying case, gimbal protector, range amplifiers, etc.

I appreciate your point of view but lol (except for the investment bit on the P4, which again still believe it's a good investment), I doubt DJI would shoot their self in the leg like so.

I still find this P4vsMavic discussion irrelevant, to me it just shows people have no idea what they are on about besides getting the latest gadget in the hood.

Time will tell, reviews and reports will pop in the coming months....

Yes! Go try it out if you keep the bubble on you can even do underwater shots and it emerges back to land on the shore when using RTH and a software update on day 1 on release will increase the camera to 8K!
If James Bond can do it with his white Lotus Esprit years back, i agree this one can as well submerge in water as well.

As awesome as it seems in most areas, From what I've seen so far the video quality is not as good as the P4.
Also I'm curious about the light weight being a possible problem.
I'm sure it will be able to stay in one spot like it should. But how hard will it have to fight to do it ?
How long will the battery actually last if it has to constantly fight even the slightest wind ?
I'll probably pass and just buy a used P4 from someone when they "just have to have this".

I can only see a few improvements really:
- the "getting ready" process in less than what, 5 seconds? My p3p takes at least a minute.
- I take a towel with a figure or an H for example, take the drone off, I go surfing and after 27 min the drone lands on that towel safely.
However the things I can't really see that have improved:
- camera (I'm pretty much doing cinematic videos only) I know they say the sensor is supposed to be the same, but images I've seen just don't get to the p4 or p3p level.
- that speed and those propellers, can't stop thinking about how often they'll get into my footage.

If you watch the Digitalrev video they show, and say no props in video even in sport mode.

Reactions: Alex Assenmacher
I've been on the verge of buying a P4 as my first serious drone for awhile now, but I'm definitely going to go with the Mavic. The reason ties back to the old saying that "The best camera is the one you have with you." With its small form factor I'll be able to bring the Mavic with me when I travel, backpack, backcountry ski, etc. much more easily, and will be much more likely to capture the kind of footage I'm buying a drone for.

Reactions: jaseman007
I dont see this info anywhere, but will the Mavic capture any audio?

No info=no feature.

I think once past the gopro cameras audio is not an option on these drones. Besides, what is there to capture? The sound of the motors spinning against the wind in surround?

Reactions: flpholt
I have recorded sound with my P2 and a 3rd party device.

It's like sticking your head out the window on the freeway.

I just had to pull the trigger, too. I told my wife about it and her reply?
"Why haven't you ordered one yet?"
I got the $999 deal with an extra battery. What a deal! Loving those $80 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl