Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Man's GoPro stolen from Drone

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Geoelectro, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Geoelectro

2. mr_3_0_5

Guess he's luck the guy didn't walk off with the whole heli

3. Geoelectro

True. The attitude in the comments was a little scary I think. Also the lack of knowledge!

Geo

4. Pull_Up

I just read the comments.

:shock:

Please tell me those posters aren't representative of the majority of US citizens? Never mind an advert for the necessity for gun control, it was like reading a comic parody of how the rest of the world sees the US. (I am of course joking, and do not base my views of an entire nation on the internet comments of some "interesting" types)

I love the "my yard, behind fences, my privacy" thing - benefits of being in a big country with big "yards" I guess. From my upstairs window I can can see clearly into the "gardens" of 4 neighbours, and into some of another 9. I wonder what, or what sort of activities, all those privacy freaks are hiding - the mind boggles. ;)

5. CJ31

Must not have been a phantom with zenmuse. I doubt the guy had a 2mm Alan wrench in his pocket :lol: It's such a pain to take that thing off.

6. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Wow, those comments...... speechless......

7. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow... We need to get better PR... Some of those comments, made in total ignorance, were pretty scary... Then again... I collect and shoot hand guns, so I'm quite used to general comments made in total ignorance. Some subjects just get a knee jerk reaction... :roll: :shock:

We've gotta lose this "drone" label... Definitely carries negative connotation.

-slinger

8. Visioneer

The primary lesson I get from the comments is that people generally have no idea what the law is ... but they think they do and will fight (to the death?) as a result. Of course, every jurisdiction has it's own rules but generally ..

If I fly over someone else's property and interfere with their "enjoyment" of their property, I have committed trespass. If I crash my craft onto someone else's property, I have committed trespass and I need their permission to retrieve it. If I retrieve it without their permission I will have committed a 2nd trespass. HOWEVER, the land owner cannot cannot keep my craft or do any (further) damage to it (it's still mine). They can either retrieve it and bring it to me or they can direct me as to how to retrieve it. Naturally (and sadly), obtaining compliance with the actual law may require the involvement of the police or the courts.

Here's a related piece on trespass written by an attorney for the AMA:

This document suggests that if the GoPro owner can find who has the camera, he can recover damages.

In my adult life I have served on several juries in two different (US) states. Though I don't really know of a better system, I fervently hope I never have to be judged by a jury of my "peers".

Attached Files:

9. karlsch

This guy deserves the criticism he is getting.

He is flying over other people's property with a camera equipped drone (there is absolutely no reason to expect them to assume that the drone is benign) which then crash lands in a street – a street – used by bicycles, motorcycles and automobiles.

It's not inconceivable to think it could have caused an accident.

10. Scottrod

Correct and accurate interpretation of the law. It's really scary to see some of the comments and the ignorance.