Malaysia and Indonesia reguations

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to purchase my first phantom.. (very excited) and will be visiting Malaysia and Indonesia next month..

Does anyone know the current regulations for these two countries?

Thanks in advance

Hello Ovonel,

Just wondering how did you go with Malaysia and Indonesia.

Cheers,
Hans

Also watching this thread as I am also heading to Malaysia and would like to take the drone. So worried about it getting confiscated at the airport!

Hey everyone, for people outside of Malaysia, I was successfully able to bring my drone into Langkawi, as well as through the airport in Kuala Lumpur. No questions, or queries. Carry the batteries as carry on in protective bags and you are good to go.

Cheers,
Dave

Hey Thunderbird, no I didn't think to get it out at the Eagle, there were too many people around, and I do not like to create too much attention!

Beautiful spot, I highly recommend.

See the below from the other bits of my trip:

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
This is my experience in Indonesia, Thailand and the Maldives.
Took a Mavic Pro on my last trip over xmas and new year.

We got great footage where we were able to fly.
Bali, Maldives, Koh Samui 2016-2017 - YouTube

Conrad Resort Bali
I was flying at the beach area, security guard came to asked me if I had permission. He said I needed written permission from reception - no cost. I was staying there, it sounded like staying at the resort was required. Went to reception, read the rules and signed. No flying over the resort, away from people, etc. It was quick and cordial. The next day I flew the security asked for me room number, presumably to check if I had permission on file.

Lake Temple (Pura Ulan Danu Bratan)
There was a no drone sign at the pier on the right side of the temple ground. I didn't attempt to fly.

Jatiluwih Rice Terraces
Our driver said drone is allowed. I flew without hassle.

Intercontinental Bali
Security guard was drone is ok with no mentioned of limits. I flew along the beach and over the water without issue.

Intercontiental Koh Samui
I did not asked for permission. Saw another YouTuber flying there, he said they don't allow flying close to the rooms. I flew over the beach, water and resort pier with issue.

Big Buddha Temple (Wat Phra Yai)
There is no drone sign complete with Thai law reference. Thai people are very religious, flying a drone over a temple is a no-no. Besides this area is in a direct line of landing flights. Great for plane spotting though. I did not attempt to fly.

The Jungle Club Resort Koh Samui
The waiter said flying drone is ok. I flew over the resort with issue.

Chewang Beach Koh Samui
This is close enough to the airport that I did not attempt to fly.

Grand Father/Grand Mother Rock (Hin Tha/Hin Yai) Koh Samui
I flew without issue. There was no one there to ask for permission.

The Conrad Maldives
Absolutely no drone. I asked. Someone flew a small drone and was told no drone flying.

Finally, I did not have any issue with taking the drone and batteries in cabin luggage. AFIAK the airlines do not allow batteries in check-in luggage. In fact Koh Samui airport found our small battery juice pack that we didn't intend to check-in.

We passed thru these airports: DFW, BOS, HKG, DPS, SIN, MLE, USM, BKK, NRT

Reactions: mavicshiva

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl