Major Vibrations P3P

It's going to be a week before i can. Maybe someone may try this.

try imu calibration before downgrading and doing it again.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with DJI repair service. After explaining my situation with severe vibrations, which is not longer occuring. DJI will send me an RMA and I need to send to North America serivce center for diagnosis and repair. What do you think considering the major vibrations no longer occuring welll at least for now..Just don't know how long it will be gone for...thanks

I'm not trying to high jack a thread but I was having the same issue I'm in the process of downgrading to 1.4 then back to 1.5 but how do I know if I have the old or new motors

Attachments

• IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 407
I'm not trying to high jack a thread but I was having the same issue I'm in the process of downgrading to 1.4 then back to 1.5 but how do I know if I have the old or new motors
You have the new style motors.

Anyone have experience with DJI repair service. After explaining my situation with severe vibrations, which is not longer occuring. DJI will send me an RMA and I need to send to North America serivce center for diagnosis and repair. What do you think considering the major vibrations no longer occuring welll at least for now..Just don't know how long it will be gone for...thanks
Well, testbed for a couple of days, and if it's working good, it could be a bad imu calibration or something

Did the downgrade upgrade work for everyone?...I just tried it then IMU cal but still getting vibration...one thing though, when doing IMU cal the blue process bar is not moving but it does say calibration in process, then IMU process complete..anyone else have this problem

I understood you couldn't downgrade. If so how and how far back?
(I did search and found 3 other threads stating you couldnt)

I just flew my 10th flight and I noticed when landing, I loitered at about 6 feet and the phantom was vibrating big time almost a wobble but stayed in place without any problems but you can see the gimbal vibrating , almost like a prop was major unbalanced or somethihg. This bird is only 3 weeks old, installed all new firmware, IMU and gimbal calibrations, props are beautifully balanced...what 's going on? It seems to stop vibrating when ascending slowly...Any help please? Thanks
I had exact same issue found one of the motors had a loose bearing where it is pressed into the mount that holds the motor to the bird. Instead of trying to deal with DJI and shipping I just did the motor myself fly's true and steady now.

I have some vibration from new props. They are the spare props I had and one appears to have a thread that is slightly off. I put the old ones back on and they spun on smoothly. Great. I did note some vibration in the bird but it did not translate to the camera footage so I will swap them out with ANOTHER set.

Did the downgrade upgrade work for everyone?...I just tried it then IMU cal but still getting vibration...one thing though, when doing IMU cal the blue process bar is not moving but it does say calibration in process, then IMU process complete..anyone else have this problem

I have a vibration problem also. I Noticed the vibration after uploading the new filmware. I have the P3A and even while sitting on my desk the gimbal will vibrate from mild to severe. Did have one screw at the base of the gimbal a little loose, tighten it and that helped a little. If I touch the gimbal it will stop vibrating temporarily. I have both the P2 & P3A. The P2 had a bent arm on the gimbal so I removed it with the camera and use it as a trainer. Tip of the day..use a chainsaw when cutting down trees, P2 just does't have the power.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonof40
I had exact same issue found one of the motors had a loose bearing where it is pressed into the mount that holds the motor to the bird. Instead of trying to deal with DJI and shipping I just did the motor myself fly's true and steady now.
That's very interesting. That's the first news I have heard about bearing getting out of the mount. Normally people will not make out if the bearing is loose and it can create huge vibrations.

How did you fix it?

I have witness the same with my P3P. I swapped the props and it went away. I checked the balance of the old props and they checked out OK. I put them back on at a later date and the wobble was gone. Since that time, I observe the balance/wobble come and go. Now I check it before every flight. I watch and wait because it can come and go over a 20-30 second period. What I have come to suspect is two things, (1) that over-tightening the props can cause them to seat off-balance and (2) that off-balance can become exacerbated when a harmonic develops. As long as it is not extreme and it dissipates, I fly. Otherwise, I swap props and try again. Over-tightening could throw weight balance or lift balance - not sure which is greater. In any event, I loosen and re-tighten between flights. There is nothing you can do about harmonics with the exception of varying the speeds of the 4 motors which you will do in flight anyway. I simply make sure that the harmonic imbalance corrects itself, when it occurs, and just go with it.

Regarding prop balancing, I bought the balancing device and I have checked them all, but I don't think the practice is really worthwhile. Weight imbalances will be very minute and difficult to detect. If they are noteworthy, I am sure you will be able to see the difference in the condition of the prop. If you have any doubt, replace them - they're cheep.

Regarding motor and axle imbalance - you ought to be able to hear/feel the difference. Take the blades off, arm the motors and listen to each. Try putting your fingernail on the plastic near each and feel for differences. If in doubt, replace the motor - they're cheep - its just a matter of labor and skill and you don't need much of either to be successful.

Regarding thrust imbalance - how can a mere mortal tell the difference without sophisticated equipment? I made a thrust bench and I can't tell the difference between good props and bad. If in doubt, replace the props.

Regarding bearings - don't oil them. It's a short-term fix and a long-term liability because the oil will build up, collect dust and become a mess. Don't replace them either - alignment is critical and unless you have a precision arbor, you won't get it right. Replace the motor.

Good luck!

I'm still having the same issue after downgrading, upgrading the firmware along with the IMU calibration. I opened a case with DJI but thinking about returning it to Best Buy

I still think it looks to vibrate a bit, but its not as bad as it was.
I agree, I don't see how that would be possible. Off to microcenter for new props... I will test than then install 1.5 again. I just wish I had paid closer attention to the gimbal on flights in the past.

Well its possible.the gimbal motors are software controlled for video stabilization. If the software is buggy it can be incorrectly adjusting the motors thus causing the vibration.

I have witness the same with my P3P. I swapped the props and it went away. I checked the balance of the old props and they checked out OK. I put them back on at a later date and the wobble was gone. Since that time, I observe the balance/wobble come and go. Now I check it before every flight. I watch and wait because it can come and go over a 20-30 second period. What I have come to suspect is two things, (1) that over-tightening the props can cause them to seat off-balance and (2) that off-balance can become exacerbated when a harmonic develops. As long as it is not extreme and it dissipates, I fly. Otherwise, I swap props and try again. Over-tightening could throw weight balance or lift balance - not sure which is greater. In any event, I loosen and re-tighten between flights. There is nothing you can do about harmonics with the exception of varying the speeds of the 4 motors which you will do in flight anyway. I simply make sure that the harmonic imbalance corrects itself, when it occurs, and just go with it.

Regarding prop balancing, I bought the balancing device and I have checked them all, but I don't think the practice is really worthwhile. Weight imbalances will be very minute and difficult to detect. If they are noteworthy, I am sure you will be able to see the difference in the condition of the prop. If you have any doubt, replace them - they're cheep.

Regarding motor and axle imbalance - you ought to be able to hear/feel the difference. Take the blades off, arm the motors and listen to each. Try putting your fingernail on the plastic near each and feel for differences. If in doubt, replace the motor - they're cheep - its just a matter of labor and skill and you don't need much of either to be successful.

Regarding thrust imbalance - how can a mere mortal tell the difference without sophisticated equipment? I made a thrust bench and I can't tell the difference between good props and bad. If in doubt, replace the props.

Regarding bearings - don't oil them. It's a short-term fix and a long-term liability because the oil will build up, collect dust and become a mess. Don't replace them either - alignment is critical and unless you have a precision arbor, you won't get it right. Replace the motor.

Good luck!
Very good!! great info...I find that the stock props were really balanced straight out of the box. I have a Dupro balancer and I had maybe one slightly off balance. I have been using the same props from the first flight and after the 7th or 8th flight and after new firmware update this is when I noticed a bad vibration when hovering and with slight increase in throttle it stopped. Today and after 4 more flights the major vibration has disappeared. I don't think it has anything to do with props but maybe the grooves in the props. I noticed my 2 black props seem to take more spins to tighten, but I did use my spare black prop and it did not need to be tighten as much...weird ...anyways not sure if this caused any imbalanc or not...it's just weird black (hubs) need to be tightened more than the silver hub props..

Change all the props with your backup set. Balanced or not, change them as step #1. I don't think it is software or ESCs or motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT