Made some landing skids from pipe lagging good idea or not?

Re: Made some landing skids from pipe lagging good idea or n

Photos would help. It sounds like it may be more inclined to tip over with the foam on the skids. There are two members of the forums that offer plates you can attach between the skids to provide some protection to the camera and gimbal. Some think those will cause tip overs too but I have one on my bird and haven't had any issues. Let us know how the foam works for you and show us a photo of how you installed it. Does it get in the way of photos and video?

If you are a new flyer you will find out quickly that the V2+ is topheavy on landings and the default landing gear will tip over in a lot of instances, especially in wind. Don't know what you made as there are no photos, but if you widened the stance of the landing gear, it will probably help. There is a wider, taller landing gear you can buy too.

I'm using foam tubes, the kind they use for isolating the tubes of the central heating.
The weight of a single tube is about 5 grms.
Flies perfectly and no hinder to the camera.

Ton

I wouldn't do it, just catch it in the air, never have to worry about it falling over and breaking ur propellers & never ruining your camera. Way better.

Reactions: Newbieguy

w0by said:
I wouldn't do it, just catch it in the air, never have to worry about it falling over and breaking ur propellers & never ruining your camera. Way better.

I know this is a lively debate on a variety of threads... but I don't know what surfaces people are landing their birds on. I've never had a tip-over on gravel, concrete, dirt, or grass. Just make sure you have a nice flat landing pad.

Most accidents resulting in damage to the camera and gimbal result from objects passing between the legs and striking the camera directly. The other cause of damage can be from inertia, but my opinion is that is only a factor when the phantom strikes the ground upside down or solidly against the body. The foam padding on the landing skid is probably not going to help much. Keep away from trees and buildings until you feel confident in your control of the bird.
Here is a link demonstrating hand catching: http://www.phantomflyer.net/instructional.html

Hand catching is definitely the way to go. Mine used to tip over many times because there's no flat enough surface for me and I damaged many props. I always hand catch now :) and have never had a problem again.

you can got to a local hobby shop they have a small clear tube about size of a straw that you can put on with velcro so you can put it back in the case under 4 dollars for all of it

There is a video on line that shows what happens to you if you screw up on the catch. The guy on the video caught the drone, but somehow it turned to its side and the blades cut him SEVERLY to the bone. Catching a drone in mid air is NOT a thing to do. Just saying.

There is a video on line that shows what happens to you if you screw up on the catch. The guy on the video caught the drone, but somehow it turned to its side and the blades cut him SEVERLY to the bone. Catching a drone in mid air is NOT a thing to do. Just saying.

It is something many of us do many times almost every single day. It does require some attention and being careful but it can be done safely. I've hand caught thousands of times and prefer it. I even hand catch my Mavic Platinum which is a lot more "tricky" than a Phantom.

Reactions: Newbieguy
I use a windshield reflector, the kind that blocks the sun on the windshield. It has a springy wire on the outside and you can fold it quiclyto one third of its size. It makes a neat landing pad for grass, gravel or weeds. Also I use wire stakes from my Christmas inflatables to tack it down. Everything fits in a two gallon zip bag

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl