Mad dance of a bad gimbal. enjoy.

Marconi Union said:
I've sent my video direct to DJI as a problem report. My get a respond or not, who knows....

I did the same thing.. sent them the video. After a week they gave me an RMA with instructions to ship to California. Minimum turnaround 4 weeks. My dealer also tried contacting them and was unable to get anything more.

I'll just settle for a refund at this stage and wait till the problems are resolved. Glad I've not sold my 2D gimbal! Which in fairness was and still is a great gimbal.
I was wondering maybe the problem could be with the gopro hero 3 and not the gimbal? Maybe I should check if there is a new firmware update for it? I know that any firmware updates don't include anything to supporting dji but might be worth a look.

iPad using Tapatalk

Somebody posted news on my youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhjEEIOnEY
- and I checked it out.

True - B&H Photo, one of most respected and known photography shops in USA STOPPED selling this model of Phantom 2 with gimbal.
They sell so many different combos - but THIS particular one they marked NOT FOR SALE!
Is it a coincidence, or they were plagued with returns and complaints about bad gimbal???

you can check #4 on their page
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Aeria ... 3971769738

Any possible solution to this 'noise'?

iPad using Tapatalk

The concensus seems to be that the 3rd axis motor is bumping into battery; which is what is causing the motors to freak out. Another is that the anti-vibration balls are either too soft or too hard. Either way. I've done some non-scientific tests myself and think that the second culprit might be my problem since I have the brand new P2 model. Mine does it but if I p/u the quad and rotate it around to test the gimbal it eventually stops.

Yogibara said:
The concensus seems to be that the 3rd axis motor is bumping into battery; which is what is causing the motors to freak out. Another is that the anti-vibration balls are either too soft or too hard. Either way. I've done some non-scientific tests myself and think that the second culprit might be my problem since I have the brand new P2 model. Mine does it but if I p/u the quad and rotate it around to test the gimbal it eventually stops.

Maybe. When mine starts and does its little dance there are no grinding noises at all and the motors feel smooth but when stationary it buzzes. If I rotate it around it reduces or stops. I've checked the battery clearance and it does not touch but is dam near close.
Mine is the older phantom 2 with the hole drilled. Didn't need spacers on mine for some reason.
Maybe because it is so close too the battery maybe it's getting some interference?
I have not used the other dampers so maybe I should try this before sending back. May also try spacers to get more distance.

iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909380.572241.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909380.572241.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 387
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909438.477284.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909438.477284.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 385
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909448.543670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909448.543670.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 401
Yogibara said:

Maybe. When mine starts and does its little dance there are no grinding noises at all and the motors feel smooth but when stationary it buzzes. If I rotate it around it reduces or stops. I've checked the battery clearance and it does not touch but is dam near close.
Mine is the older phantom 2 with the hole drilled. Didn't need spacers on mine for some reason.
Maybe because it is so close too the battery maybe it's getting some interference?
I have not used the other dampers so maybe I should try this before sending back. May also try spacers to get more distance.

iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909715.516773.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909715.516773.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 418
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909724.700367.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909724.700367.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 390
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909733.367569.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399909733.367569.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 387
I suspect that the buzzing is caused by touching the battery ever so slightly.

I had my first experience with it yesterday. Sight buzz/hum after going through its setup routine. Power cycled and the buzz remained. Removed and re-inserted the battery and no buzz.

Ok. So I've now added spacers and also changed the dampers too black ones and it seems to of gone away....almost. Before it would buzz when stationary but now there is no buzzing. If I move it about it does not make any buzzing, but every now and again there will be a small buzz. So progress. So any more views suggestions?

iPad using Tapatalk

Had a very brief flight in near darkness and viewed the footage and it all looks fine and stable! I can hear a hum on the video now and again it doesn't effect the image and no jello or vibration...which is good.

iPad using Tapatalk

I can't test mine like that, it is totally bad and won't stand still. I salute your will to experiment.
My question is - even if you will find a PARTIAL FIX- HOW RELIABLE IT REALLY IS? WILL IT STAY okISH, OR IT WILL GET WORSE? (sorry for caps).
I need it for work on remote islands. if I take it there and it dies - I can't get a quick replacement. I am losing a customer, lots of money, and lots of time.
my next question is - why it is us who should fiddle around and try to find a fix for a brand new, expensive product? and do it on behalf of a posh company? DJI screwed it up, and should fix it for free - for all of us. I wish there is more competition. they deserve a bit of hard feedback in a form of not buying customers.

I completely understand your corner and you have my total support and sympathy. I feel frustrated too.
At this point I'm sort of happy that I've actually got a working gimble that from test footage is giving perfect result so I can live with that ....for now. Maybe it will get better maybe not:(
Your right DJI REALLY need to look after there customer base.

iPad using Tapatalk

anyone heard back from DJI about this issue at all?

My dealer (a super helpful guy at canadadrones.com ) sent my video to DJI and it is being "investigated".
that's all I know at the moment. I expect RMA and exchange, but what with the more general solution - no idea.

holoboss said:
My dealer (a super helpful guy at canadadrones.com ) sent my video to DJI and it is being "investigated".
that's all I know at the moment. I expect RMA and exchange, but what with the more general solution - no idea.

any updates on this ?

Still waiting. We are dealing with DJI, so it is normal. their level of customer service is next to none. My dealer is trying to speed it up, and without him it would be even worse.
with most companies 2 weeks would be enough to actually deliver the replacement part. for DJI - well, they astill "investigate" my case to decide if it qualifies for RMA.
I never experienced such crappy customer services in North America as DJI - it has to be said. Why?

When I had a problem with my previous phantom - I tried to call. machine told me my waiting time is... over 2 hours, with me paying for international call (from Canada to US).
So I gave up, and emailed instead. I explained in detail my problem, saying I did calibration and advanced calibration - and it did not help. and I said waiting over 2 hrs on international call is not acceptable.
I received answer after about a week - it was just a generic message suggesting I should calibrate my phantom. and if I have further questions - to call them!!!
They clearly don't care for their reputation. one day they will be surprised they lost many customers. if only there were more competition.

Hi Im new to the form from salad capital of the world Salinas Ca. I received my Phantom 2 with H3-3D Gimbal and well... See the video link below. The Power Connect Board V2 actually started smoking!! Before my first flight!

https://vimeo.com/95566428

I have a lot of questions about my Phantom I hope many questions have been answered here.

magoneproductions said:
Hi Im new to the form from salad capital of the world Salinas Ca. I received my Phantom 2 with H3-3D Gimbal and well... See the video link below. The Power Connect Board V2 actually started smoking!! Before my first flight!

https://vimeo.com/95566428

I have a lot of questions about my Phantom I hope many questions have been answered here.

For starters, you did not install the gimbal correctly.

Read here:

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .00_en.pdf

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor