Low Range on Phantom 3 4K

Reaction score
Just purchased a Phantom 3 4K that has a WiFi link to the iPad and I have 2 problems.

1. The picture on the iPad whilst flying is delayed a bit and jumps?
2. I have not got very good range, regularly drops out around 500m and sometimes a lot less?

A friend of mine has the Phantom 3 2K which has a cable to link to the iPad and he does not have the same problems. He has a slight lag in the picture, nowhere near as bad as mine and he has 3 times the range.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Just purchased a Phantom 3 4K that has a WiFi link to the iPad and I have 2 problems.

1. The picture on the iPad whilst flying is delayed a bit and jumps?
2. I have not got very good range, regularly drops out around 500m and sometimes a lot less?

A friend of mine has the Phantom 3 2K which has a cable to link to the iPad and he does not have the same problems. He has a slight lag in the picture, nowhere near as bad as mine and he has 3 times the range.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regarding your friend... If a cable links the iPad and RC controller it's a good chance your friend is flying a P3 Advanced or professional with lightbridge technology.... which is why such models cost more (they have a long communication/video range).

The entry level Phantoms are the Standard and 4K due to the technology used for communication. 500 meters is average range for wifi. My guess is there is interference nearby which is affecting your range. Finally, video lag is partly due to your tablet or phone. IPads do lag with the DJI Go app when connected via WiFi as your is. The newer iPads (the latest release) are less laggy.

I would guess it was some sort of interference (noise). I use an iPad Mini 2 with my P3S which uses the same wifi as the 4K and it will go 4000' before the signal gets sketchy. Others have gone further, close to 10,000'. Try in a different location and be sure to have the antenna oriented correctly. If I am way out I sometimes need to move my TX around to get better reception. In the same location I flew 4000' going the other direction only yielded 2500'. So YMMV. :)
PS - Be sure your geofence setting restricting you.

I would guess it was some sort of interference (noise). I use an iPad Mini 2 with my P3S which uses the same wifi as the 4K and it will go 4000' before the signal gets sketchy. Others have gone further, close to 10,000'.
Others get 10,000 with the Standard using WiFi? The OP has the Standard so this is the distance that is being discussed.

Others get 10,000 with the Standard using WiFi? The OP has the Standard so this is the distance that is being discussed.
I did not say they get 10,000', I said close. o_O
Also, the OP has a P3 4K, not a P3S. More misinformation on your part.
And yes, these are stock distances, no antenna mods.

Two other things worth mentioning, the P3 4K has a more powerful TX so it should go further, and the FPV is only 480p instead of the 720p the P3S has.

I did not say they get 10,000', I said close. o_O
Also, the OP has a P3 4K, not a P3S. More misinformation on your part.
And yes, these are stock distances, no antenna mods.

"Just purchased a Phantom 3 4K that has a WiFi link to the iPad"

How does the Phantom 3 4K differ from the Phantom Standard when it comes to transmission distance?

What is "close" to 10,000... that is a distance that the Phantom 3 4K can fly?

"Just purchased a Phantom 3 4K that has a WiFi link to the iPad"

How does the Phantom 3 4K differ from the Phantom Standard when it comes to transmission distance?

What is "close" to 10,000... that is a distance that the Phantom 3 4K can fly?
The TX for the P3S has 19dbi where as the P3 4K has 27dbi... that is a big difference. You can see it on the DJI spec page.

I have personally been out to 4000', another friend has gone close to 7000' and there are reports on the forum of up to 9000+'.
Do you think I am just making stuff up?

The TX for the P3S has 19dbi where as the P3 4K has 27dbi... that is a big difference. You can see it on the DJI spec page.

I have personally been out to 4000', another friend has gone close to 7000' and there are reports on the forum of up to 9000+'.
Do you think I am just making stuff up?

I don't think you'd get those distances without some form of after market add on transmission boost (software/hardware). Just to be clear, that's a bit excessive for stock out of the box transmission, and certainly in the Twilight Zone for stock out of the box video reception transmission. I'm not saying the distances are impossible, only that they do require a form of assistance along with the most optimum non-interference & cloud bouncing transmission range and a chain of rabbits feet.

I don't think you'd get those distances without some form of after market add on transmission boost (software/hardware). Just to be clear, that's a bit excessive for stock out of the box transmission, and certainly in the Twilight Zone for stock out of the box video reception transmission. I'm not saying the distances are impossible, only that they do require a form of assistance along with the most optimum non-interference & cloud bouncing transmission range and a chain of rabbits feet.
Got mine just to mod but did get this before I did stock 6,670'.jpg Since then more have smoked that .
Added the antennas in my signature and got this 3.04 miles.PNG .
Now their adding amps and battery mods and really getting out but that's more than I wanted to do .

I am not sure why you guys are so skeptical. Why would staff lie to you? The numbers are real just as Dirk has showed you. While some members may fib about their numbers, HD or screen shots don't lie. Keep in mind that the distance you will get has everything to do with your location. If you are in an area that is low noise (over the ocean, out in rural areas, etc.), you will get much better distance than in an urban setting with lots of noise in the airwaves.

Got mine just to mod but did get this before I did View attachment 44844 Since then more have smoked that .
Added the antennas in my signature and got this View attachment 44845 .
Now their adding amps and battery mods and really getting out but that's more than I wanted to do .

Please note that the DJI GO APP shows "Total" flight distance. In other words not in a straight line from point A to B but every movement the Drone took. So the 7000 feet you accomplished is more like 3250 feet (straight line distance) which is close to a Kilometre which is what DJI claims is the stock distance.

Please note that the DJI GO APP shows "Total" flight distance. In other words not in a straight line from point A to B but every movement the Drone took. So the 7000 feet you accomplished is more like 3250 feet (straight line distance) which is close to a Kilometre which is what DJI claims is the stock distance.
Dang dude ..look again . You must not know how to read a log . You want me to run the whole flight for you ?

Reactions: SZNJ732
I am not sure why you guys are so skeptical. Why would staff lie to you? The numbers are real just as Dirk has showed you. While some members may fib about their numbers, HD or screen shots don't lie. Keep in mind that the distance you will get has everything to do with your location. If you are in an area that is low noise (over the ocean, out in rural areas, etc.), you will get much better distance than in an urban setting with lots of noise in the airwaves.

Only reason that I personally can say I'm skeptical is because I've tried the Phantom 2 Vision+, Phantom 3 Standard & the Phantom 3 Advanced for max range across a large river where there was next to no interference. My range results were good, but never consistent day to day, and for the Phantom 3 Standard were always closer to 1 kilometre (3280 feet) to 1.5 kilometres (4921 feet). Video feed was a different story. It would start to get choppy with drop outs about 800 meters (2624 feet). My Phantom 2 Vision+ had lower distances.

Only reason that I personally can say I'm skeptical is because I've tried the Phantom 2 Vision+, Phantom 3 Standard & the Phantom 3 Advanced for max range across a large river where there was next to no interference. My range results were good, but never consistent day to day, and for the Phantom 3 Standard were always closer to 1 kilometre (3280 feet) to 1.5 kilometres (4921 feet). Video feed was a different story. It would start to get choppy with drop outs about 800 meters (2624 feet). My Phantom 2 Vision+ had lower distances.
It is different for everyone depending on where you live. Your range numbers seem decent. Like I said, in the same place I can go twice as far in one direction as I can in the other.
I know Dirk got close to 7000' as I just him and I saw the complete flight log and healthy drone reports. It is real and we are not blowing sunshine you know where. Now if you really want to get out there pop on a DBS antenna! :D

Well I can understand you being skeptical but there it is and I am shooting you straight .
Here watch the trip .

Reactions: Mike's Bird

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl