Low flying aircraft

Reaction score
So I was flying on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I was out of any NFZ and every 15 minutes or so a single prop plane buzzes by the beach at 300 feet. How do I know. I was at 300 feet and have film of it to my left only 300 feet away. I thought they need to stay up at least 400 feet if not more. I figured out their pattern so I kept a lookout so I could get more footage.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

suppose to be 500 feet I seen a huge helicopter buzz beach at only 100 feet going straight down the coast

Didn't happen, no pic - no proof :) So post the video :)

Reactions: BuickGS
Planes and helicopters "CAN" fly below 500' in many different instances. Assuming all General Aviation are stopping at 500' AGL is a sure way to have an incident with one. That's almost as humorous as assuming every drone operator stays below 400'AGL.

See & Avoid and remember to always.. ALWAYS give way to manned aircraft with no exceptions. Even if they are breaking a regulations See & Avoid is your responsibility with no exceptions. You/we are the low ring on the totem pole.

According to FAA regs helicopters are exempt from the 500 ft requirment

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When I see them I come down as quickly as possible. They break the rules all the time in my area. I have seen them flying out of canyons at about 200 feet AGL. So I keep an ear out for them and take a spotter to assist because it never fails that some idiot will come out of a canyon buzzing the houses. A few months ago I'm flying in a fairly remote location about 10 miles away from a small city 50K people. The area I'm in is near the base of a mountain. There are about 20 homes near the base of the mountain. I'm flying at about 100 feet but no where near a home. There is a older lady, mid-sixties, walking her dog on a hiking trail. I note where she is and stay away from her. Out of nowhere comes this single engine plane flying out of the canyon. The plane flies directly over a line of about 10 homes at no more than 100 feet. Lady watches the plane fly over and just keeps walking. I immediately bring the Phantom down as quickly as possible. I'm nowhere near the aircraft but still I get it down to about 30 feet. I don't want to take any chances. Meanwhile the plane tracks the base of the mountain in and out of canyons and then climbs to fly over a small plateau that is about 150 feet up. Im thinking to myself what a freaking idiot. I resume flying. About 15 minutes later the lady comes back from her walk with her dog. Looks at me and says "Drones are taking over...you can spy on people with those things." OHHH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... (SLAPS OWN FACE)

No winning.

Thanks for the laugh, m0j0. The guy was definitely hotdogging. Every pilot has done it in their early, not so smart, days. But that's not to says it's excusable. When a tail number is reported to the local FSDO office, they do investigate. He was clearly breaking regs.

I have blackhawk's that pass pretty low over my house every so often and I swear they are easily under 400'. So I asked a guy at work who is a pilot for the ANG. He said they are supposed to be 500'+ but that basically "we do whatever we want".

Just gotta keep ears open, although I'd love to get a shot of the Blackhawk passing by!

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Wow ! I was about to my fly my p3p this morning and a warbird just went by at 300 feet and then I went for a hike and wanted to fly up by the mountain and we got buzzed twice by a biplane. I gave up.

So I was flying on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I was out of any NFZ and every 15 minutes or so a single prop plane buzzes by the beach at 300 feet. How do I know. I was at 300 feet and have film of it to my left only 300 feet away. I thought they need to stay up at least 400 feet if not more.
suppose to be 500 feet I seen a huge helicopter buzz beach at only 100 feet going straight down the coast
Here are the actual rules for real planes.
Take note of C & D

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Reactions: Falcon900

Plane and also a waterspout
:) Yea! Now that's what I'm talking about :)
I can't count how many times planes or helicopters have been close to me or my UAV now. I was trying to film an airliner last week but he was way higher then my P3A, I still need to check the footage.

Plane (and waterspout) were perfectly legal. It's YOUR responsibility to stay out of the way.

Really?

"Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure." They are very much closer than 500 feet from the hotels, people, and cars there.

I am willing to bet this is just a grey area that is overlooked until someone gets hurt......

Plane (and waterspout) were perfectly legal. It's YOUR responsibility to stay out of the way.

I totally agree with you but what is considered a safe distance?
At the coast here we get these yahoos flying motorized parachutes, they fly low and slow and I'd love to get a shot of them. What kind of respectable space is advised to give them?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl