Low Bridge flythrough

Reaction score
Anybody out there tried (successfully or otherwise) flying a P3 through a short tunnel (< 25m) under a road say? I was really tempted to try it yesterday, but bottled it at the last minute, as it was a canal running under the bridge and i was concerned about losing connectivity to RC and flying too close to the water

There's no way I'd attempt this. Do you mean you would be going through the tunnel with it or be outside of the tunnel watching it go in one end and come out of the other?

What I mean is that if you lose signal during the second option, which is highly probable, RTH failsafe would kick in and it would try to ascend... into the roof of the tunnel!

Just curious as to why you would want to even attempt this?

"P" mode of GPS is out of the question. Someone posted almost this exact situation, ATTI "A" but with slight wind causing a venturi condition, when they made it through, coming out the other side, pilot was not prepared for a slight "drift left" into an object.

"P" mode of GPS is out of the question. Someone posted almost this exact situation, ATTI "A" but with slight wind causing a venturi condition, when they made it through, coming out the other side, pilot was not prepared for a slight "drift left" into an object.
True, this is most likely to happen.

Adventurous people keep trying new stuff as they look for something new. For them stopping is only when they crash.

I am not against them as this give them a great kick. I don't like when they try their stunts over public.

If the tunnel is wide enough, I could be done.
Keep in mind that you cannot rely on GPS-mode. I would switch it to ATTI-mode in advance.
I have flown a few time under bridges. The first time I lost GPS under a bridge, it scared the .. out of me.
Be sure there is no risk of touching the tunnel. The AC will go haywire if it does.
Do not forget to video it and to post it afterwards.

OK, Where's the "TIP JAR", I'll just pay to watch....I'm still flying in "neutered Mode".

I have done a tunnel fly through but I chickened out on the bridge as I could not see my display clearly that day.

I may have to have a rematch on that.

Here is Indiana we have tons of covered bridges which are fantastic to fly through. Like the fella up top I run behind and follow it all the way through. U can get some breathtaking shots! And yes, I'm on a very low traveled road with radio links on either side for watching traffic.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Thanks for the feedback all. To answer the question above, I'm thinking of it from the video standpoint rather than any kick one might get from successfully achieving a difficult piloting manoeuvre. The bridge connects the canal to the marina and it would be a great shot to lead into a flyover of the marina. It wouldn't be a danger to other people, only to the P3.
I guess the bottom line is, it is possible, just not sure if I'm experienced enough a pilot (yet) to pull it off [emoji52]

I have done a tunnel fly through but I chickened out on the bridge as I could not see my display clearly that day.

I may have to have a rematch on that.

This is more like the tunnel I was referring to. Did you go thru' behind the AC and were you in Atti mode or p-Atti ?
Thanks

Some folk worry too much. Just do it. Always fly up in the air and only attempt things with the backing knowing you may loose/break your bird. If that's the case don't do anything too risky that could make that risk more reality than fear.

I do think it's funny though how some people say "don't do it" on here.. let that person be the judge!

(With the P2V+)
I flew through Californias tallest bridge. My father and I were testing out flying without eye sight on the bird and going purely based on the video display. I went through the bridge twice successfully. My father did once but sadly on his 2nd attempt he actually hit a beam and the drone got trapped in one of the lower joints, rotting away to this day.

Not all bad though. A few weeks later he went out and bought the new P3 which is worlds better overall anyway so really not much loss to be honest.

Enjoy your toy! You got it to play with!!

Reactions: scottbra9

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl