Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Low Altitude High Speed Crash - Enjoy!

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by storrowdrive, Jul 23, 2015.

1. storrowdrive

Crashed my P3P yesterday so I made a video of the incident for you all to enjoy. I had been flying like this for 2 battery packs trying to get some high speed looking shots in an open field. I guess I got too low. I at no time hit down on the left stick - guess I just got too comfortable that the Phantom would keep its altitude by itself.

Only damage is one arm is bent up pretty bad. Camera and motors power up fine. I already sent it off to DJI this morning. I did mention to them that at no point did I press down on the left stick. I did confirm by checking the flight log showing my inputs. Maybe by some act of god they will consider it a warranty thing. Setting my calendar for 8 weeks! Any suggestions on how I can pass the time for the next 2 months? Other than get a side job to pay for the repairs.. :)

2. SteveMann

Thanks for the video. It's, uh, interesting. Actually, I like the sensation of speed, but you could just speed up the video clip.
    I kind'a doubt that it will qualify for warranty since you admitted that you modified the Phantom with the additional battery. (Where did you put it?)

But, on your question - the Phantom altitude is determined by a barometric altimeter inside the MC. If you fly through a gust of wind, the atmospheric pressure will change a bit and the Phantom will go up or down a few inches seeking to keep the measured pressure the same.

3. storrowdrive

Sorry - I did not modify it. I meant that I had already gone through 2 battery packs flying like that and was on my 3rd. The Phantom probably went down 3-4 feet by itself. I was definitely low, but it did not keep its altitude. I know it's a long shot for them to cover it.

4. sharper4

I imagine this could get covered under warranty. But you will be totally in the dark for the next 2 months waiting for any info on it. Sorry to hear it happened. I've learned not to play with my P3 like a toy airplane b/c I made a misjudgement once and it was a super close call (crash but very limited damage).