Lost my P3 sunday

Hope that you Find it before the farmer gets the machine out to gather the soy beans id see if i could find another drone owner that could fly low over the area to see if it could be found on the tablets screen The Best of Luck to you.

Cellblock776.....very good thinking on stopping to prevent another lost drone ! and i hope that you get the very serious lag issues ironed out..thats a bummer for sure !

Reactions: Cellblock776
@Meta4

Obviously my post is ample evidence that I'm not the most skilled and aware drone flyer around.

I had no idea I had got up to 1000 feet, I was looking the sunrise and just doing a long lazy drifting turn, I was stunned when I saw that I was at 1000 feet, last time I checked it was around 400.

I couldn't feel, see, or hear the wind. It took me a few minutes to realize the drone wasn't returning because of the wind. It was so perfectly calm where I was that I just couldn't believe there was wind up there, rookie mistake I'm sure. By the time I realized I was about to loose my drone I decided not to lower it because I was worried I'd loose signal from the hill between me and the drone. If you want to see condtions at take off check out my video.

obviously a learning experience and obviously I did alot wrong.

Last edited:
The way he worded it, I took it to mean that he lost control of the UAV due to the high winds and the winds are what caused it to go up to 1000', not him deliberately flying it that high.
The data shows pretty clearly that pushing the left stick full forward for long enough was what took the drone to 1000 feet.
After that the wind did most of the controlling.

Reactions: Stonerriflefan44
The flight data is full of indications of a strong wind.
Look around 9:47 - in RTH the drone was going backwards at 18 mph while trying to return home.
Ok, thanks. I was wondering where the figure 50MPH came from. That's an exact figure, rather than ~50mph...

The way he worded it, I took it to mean that he lost control of the UAV due to the high winds and the winds are what caused it to go up to 1000', not him deliberately flying it that high.

Looking at the log the aircraft was climbing from takeoff, the stick input data shows it was climbing vertically climbed well past 400ft AGL 2ft. away from the point of takeoff. One minute into the flight it was at 738 ft. and 134ft. away from point of take off. Wind will move a multi-rotor aircraft horizontally but I've never seen any weather phenomenon that would literally lift a 3.5lb object almost perfectly vertical up to 1000ft.

Looking at the log the aircraft was climbing from takeoff, the stick input data shows it was climbing vertically climbed well past 400ft AGL 2ft. away from the point of takeoff. One minute into the flight it was at 738 ft. and 134ft. away from point of take off. Wind will move a multi-rotor aircraft horizontally but I've never seen any weather phenomenon that would literally lift a 3.5lb object almost perfectly vertical up to 1000ft.

I don't understand your comment. There is nothing unusual in the log profile of the climb. Maximum climb rate was around 5 m/s under full throttle.

Graph1.png

I don't understand your comment. There is nothing unusual in the log profile of the climb. Maximum climb rate was around 5 m/s under full throttle.

View attachment 104912

Sorry my post is confusing, but yes, basically I agree that the pilot deliberately climbed to 1000ft (which he had no business flying above 400ft. AGL, but we can save that debate for another thread). The wind did not lift the aircraft aloft to that altitude.

The post I quoted alluded to that the wind caused the aircraft to ascend to 1000ft. which is not the case.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and sar104
Sorry my post is confusing, but yes, basically I agree that the pilot deliberately climbed to 1000ft (which he had no business flying above 400ft. AGL, but we can save that debate for another thread). The wind did not lift the aircraft aloft to that altitude.

The post I quoted alluded to that the wind caused the aircraft to ascend to 1000ft. which is not the case.

Ah - got it. I should have followed the post trail more carefully.

Same thing happened to one of my P3S's. Took me five days to find it. Just followed the path it last showed in the flight data. It went 2 1/2 miles away! It had landed in a field, and stayed there for five days waiting for me to find it. It was like meeting a long lost friend! (now it's gone again!)

Not that this does or does not have anything to do with this particular situation........ I beg to differ. Many decades ago, while flying an 11ft wingspan, high aspect ratio R/C sailplane, I experienced an incredible thermal and coastal inversion layer effect that took my 4+ pound sailplane to an incredible altitude. All the while I was trying to "ease" it down. It finally got so high, I could barely make out its attitude. The only way I got it back was to put it into a vertical spin! That's a 4 pound sailplane!

Just my 2 centavos.

Wow! That's an impressive log. Are all flights recorded in this way or does one have to set something up to enable it?

Sorry that happened, Did you have any Rescue Information such as your phone listed on the drone , is there any chance you might get it back from one of the local farmers ? You might need another drone for a seach and rescue mission ;)

The other thing I might do is find one of the Farmers and just let them know your Drone went down in the fIeld, at least they can be on the look out for it.

Not that this does or does not have anything to do with this particular situation........ I beg to differ. Many decades ago, while flying an 11ft wingspan, high aspect ratio R/C sailplane, I experienced an incredible thermal and coastal inversion layer effect that took my 4+ pound sailplane to an incredible altitude. All the while I was trying to "ease" it down. It finally got so high, I could barely make out its attitude. The only way I got it back was to put it into a vertical spin! That's a 4 pound sailplane!

Just my 2 centavos.

Yeah, but that is a sailplane which is specifically designed to have a very high lift-to-weight ratio (or wing surface-to-weight ratio).

The typical drone is about as aerodynamic as a cinder block. If you were to fire it out of a canon at 50mph, you would have no measurable airfoil effect. The chances of a drone with the motors off would being carried up by a thermal are about as likely as that of a bowling ball being able to ride thermals.

After almost a year of flying my Phantom 3 Standard I was super confident. I had never crashed it or lost it. Sunday morning I drove to a nearby lake to take some video of the fall colors. It was dead still at the lake at 6:30 AM, no wind at all. I flew the drone up over the trees and our a few hundred feet while checking out the sunrise colors. Turned the drone to return to the lake and realized it was getting farther away and climbing. It was up around 1000 feet. I assumed I was having a control issue, but I had control it just kept slipping further away.

I have a range extender reflector and was getting signal at 10,000 feet. The drone started automatic landing. I realized the lake sets in a hollow and there was some kind of crazy wind above it. Ran to my car and drove to the drone. Someone behind me was freaking out while I kept slowing down and checking my radio they started flashing their lights, but there was nowhere to pull over. I found signal, and battery life came up 9% but the signal was gone in a few seconds.

Never could find the signal again and spent 6 hours walking through fields with no luck. My flight data has coordinates at 22% battery life and 750 feet. I searched its heading and all over with no luck. I was sure as I would find it as it was flying over mostly harvested fields.

I'm really bummed out. Spent 400 dollars on it so I guess not a huge loss, but I already miss flying it. WInd was really strong in the fields, I just hadn't noticed it at the lake.
Do you think it would have safely landed or died on the way down?

This was God's way of telling you need to think more BEFORE you fly... and probably before you drive.

Not content with merely breaking FAA rules and flying recklessly, you decided to top off your performance with some good old distracted driving. If there was no place to pull over, then there would be no place for someone to swerve around you. Thank God that you didn't kill anyone while you were behind the wheel looking at your radio.

Do us all a favor and if / when you find your drone, sell it or give it away to someone who might fly responsibly.

Last edited:
Hey, I want to thank everyone who has offered well wishes, advice and help. I searched again this morning for a couple hours, I really checked the flight path thoroughly, again no luck. I don't think I will continue looking, and I don't think the drone went down on the flight path.

No indication of the drone's owner, but I had forgot to replace the memory card in the camera and borrowed the one from my phone, so I lost that too, but there was nothing too important there. My Dad knew one of the locals and they'll let us know if it turns up, though I think it's hiding really well and will likely get harvested with some soybeans.

@Just Mark and everyone who has been judgmental, yes I flew above 400 feet. I've never been real good at following rules even when I would benefit from doing so, and while I'm sure you mean well and you yourself are a paragon of ultimate virtue I don't appreciate your attitude or your comments on my video, but you're welcome to your opinion. I will say your comments on my driving are really out of line. Had I not been focused on driving safely I'm pretty sure I would have found my drone. I would have slammed on the breaks and pulled off the road when I noticed a change on the screen of my phone out of the corner of my eye, but instead I continued safely until I found a place to pull off the road and let the person behind me pass. Regardless I obviously regret my negligence and poor flying that day.

In my defense, I had no intention of flying above 400 feet that morning, this was a very spur of the moment flight, no planning, just quickly drove out to this lake to catch the sunrise. I was climbing and around maybe 200 feet, I stopped looking and was checking out the sunrise and I checked again and I was at 1000 feet. That's when I tried to return and realized I couldn't. It took me a few minutes to reach the conclusion that wind conditions were totally different up there then they were where I was. Dumb I know and I paid the price.

When I lost the drone I immediately said I was done, no more drones. The next day I caught myself checking drone videos on youtube. The day after that I was on banggood looking for another model. When I bought my P3 I moved up from a Hubsan X4 which was my first drone, and one I've since sold. I had almost went a different direction and bought a racing quad. A couple days ago I ordered a Eachine Wizard and plan on actually learning to fly quads. Tonight I ordered one of those little mini FPV quads with 5.8G goggles to fly around the house and practice.

With the freestyle quad I'll have to force myself to be a bit more disciplined and keep it closer to me and closer to the ground which is a good thing.

One question, can anybody recommend a tracking solution for drones like "tile," do those work?

Again, thanks for the help!

my mate lost he phantom 4 last weekend we check his fight records and went back to were he lost it l put my phantom 3 standerd up
was on my last batter when l see the drone up on a tree they is no why you could see the drone from the ground
drone was on the top of the tree
if you have anything you what to sell let me now

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl