Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Long term battery storage

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Reynaldo, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Reynaldo

When it says long term battery storage, exactly how many days are we talking.

I won't be using my drone for about 12 days, so I drained them down to 60% as it states in the manual.

So after how many days is considered long term?

Also, if you know you won't be flying for a while, how often do you charge them up and drain them so that the cells are at least being exercised.

2. tcope

You should always store your batteries at around 60%. However, if you plan in flying in a few days (less then a week?) it may be better not to cycle them.

3. Mocho

To build on what tcope stated. Charge them fully if to be used within the next 7-10 days. Else leave them at 60% charge and don't concern yourself with exercising them as all that will do is shorten the life of your battery.
    Over the winter I check my batteries once a month and leave them at 50-60%.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

I wouldn't suggest leaving batteries unattended for more than two months. After that point, check the charge level and make sure at least the second light is blinking. If it's not, charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking. At that point, you can safely put it in storage for another 2 months.

There is no need to manually drain the batteries. The batteries will start to auto discharge down to 65% after 10 days (the default setting in DJI GO). That process can take up to 2-3 days to complete. If you don't want your batteries sitting around fully charged for 10 days, then lower that setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg