Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Locating downed craft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hughie, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Hughie

Nov 22, 2014
    What do people do about locating crafts which do flyaways or drop out of the sky.

I wondered about the merits of adding a beeper on board which would allow it to beep out if a searcher was within 40m

Is there a better idea?

What about RF conflict ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Credit-Card-S ... 2a1a514260
  2. Suwaneeguy

Feb 19, 2014
    $15 for peace of mind? No phone contract required.
    Don't know the range, but it still could come in handy.

Of course, you should slap a sticker on your bird with name and phone number.
  3. diverjeb

Nov 7, 2014
    Just had a flyaway incident recently. Flying over heavily wooded and difficult terrain. It took 4 days of searching using "find my Phantom" feature , logic and a lot of swearing.

The find my phantom was integral in helping narrow down the location BUT it had fallen from a high altitude, FMP is only useful if your connection is working to Phantom and mine was intermittent, part of the reason I lost it in the first place.

I found the bird 4 days later JUST in time as it began snowing when I found it and would have been lost forever.

I ordered a PET TRACKER that I plan on using on ALL flights in the future. They're less than $100 and have a monthly fee but I will NEVER go through a search like that again. For me, worth it for the peace of mind. A beeper would have been useless in my situation as it was miles away in the woods.