Located a Phantom trying to return to owner

Reaction score
A Good Samaritan turned in a Phantom located in a nearby park in Illinois. Contacted DJI with serial number in an attempt to locate it's owner but they will not release any information and they won't contact them on our behalf. How else can I reunite the Phantom with its owner?

Nobody has reported one missing, no labels on the bird, and no help from DJI.

Strange (and sad) that DJI won't help. I'd try DJI California in Monday and hope you get someone more helpful.

So sad about DJI being uncooperative. What part of Illinois was is found?

Dji would rather the owner buy another one
Maybe not. Did the person REALLY "find" a P3? Or did it crash through his living room window and he's out for revenge? DJI has no idea what it's all about (for sure) and is rightfully protective of their P3 owners.
I don't know if I'm right and I don't know if you're right. Just saying that DJI might be seeing the request from a different angle.

Is there an SD card installed? If so, check it to see if there is an "IF FOUND" file on the card or other identifying photos or videos.

By the way, thanks for your effort. I'd hope that someone would do the same for me.

Reactions: JoBe
Maybe not. Did the person REALLY "find" a P3? Or did it crash through his living room window and he's out for revenge? DJI has no idea what it's all about (for sure) and is rightfully protective of their P3 owners.
I don't know if I'm right and I don't know if you're right. Just saying that DJI might be seeing the request from a different angle.

Good point.

I'd hope DJI would at least agree to notify the person if something like this happened. With the forced online registration to arm the motors, it wouldn't be that hard to do something like this. Just give folks a way to opt out too.

They should take a page from Tumi and have a notification proxy service at min.

Reactions: StumbleBee

Well if the owner did damage property he/she should own up to that damage as ultimately the pilot is responsible.

Well luckily there was no damage. It landed in a wooded area in the park. A dog walker noticed it. The camera was broken off.

Reactions: iquadtography
Good point.

I'd hope DJI would at least agree to notify the person if something like this happened. With the forced online registration to arm the motors, it wouldn't be that hard to do something like this. Just give folks a way to opt out too.

Good points, and it seems it would add value to their customer support.

Reactions: iquadtography
Good point.

I accept DJI may have to comply with Privacy laws etc, but they could get the serial ...find it on their database and email the purchaser/ registered owner and let them decide on its recovery.

Reactions: S5S5G6
I would post a short you tube video with meta tags for lost dji phantom and the city, zip code etc.

An update to the found phantom... DJI confirmed they could not violate their privacy policy and could not provide the owners contact information. They requested we send them the drone and they would go about locating the owner themselves. Unfortunately that would then violate our property inventory policy which requires the owners signature for release. Once again I requested DJI reach out to the owner and provide them our phone number. Still waiting for a response.

What model Phantom is this? Please update the thread title with the model information.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl