Litchi GPS waypoint flight issue

Sdm

Reaction score
I installed the Litchi app onto my Samsung Galaxy 5s (having 6.0.1 Android). My P4pro was up to date firmware, and software as was my Galaxy. I wanted the Litchi app in order to use my Zeiss VR goggles.

In order to make the Litchi app operate I had to uninstall mt DJI GO app. That was annoying in as much as Litchi claimed that a user only needed to select Litchi as the default upon opening the program when connecting to the controller. (That was not correct in my case).

After several sucessful flights I chose to use Litchi's GPS autonomous flight program. (For those not familiar, Litchi provides a screen within a screen view. Both the camera and Google earth satellite view appear in your screen. Switching between them [one view is smaller in the lower right corner] is accomplished by touching the screen).

My flight path was over a forested area, and was one I had previously flown manually, using the Litchi as well as DJI Pro apps. Hence, I knew that I had adequate range for control and signal.

After programming the flight path (basically a rectangle over 200 acres), and setting the altitude, I was ready to set the P4pro free. The Litchi program states on screen that you can take over control at any time.

I set the program to go. The P4pro flew to the first waypoint without issue. I used the controller left toggle to increase altitude without issue. The P4pro turned to fly, and did so, to the next way point. Whilst using the Zeiss VR goggles I noted all was working fine, or so I thought.

The P4pro reached the second waypoint turned smoothly for the third. On this route I began to see altitude issues as the terrain was rising but the P4pro wasn't. I gave left toggle throttle to increase altitude. Nothing! I disconnected the virtual reality gogglez and now was on screen.

I tried to again gain altitude - nothing. I then tried to get the drone to return home. Nothing. My last act was to try to stop the flight program and take manual control. Nothing.

My P4pro crashed into the top of a 90 foot plus Red Oak. Unfortunately, that was the end of the P4pro as its recovery caused it to fall, unpowered, from 80-some feet, to the frozen forest floor. (The case was cracked, camera sheared off, and both landing gear broken off. Unknown internal damage at this point).

So, for those thinking of the Litchi app I strongly suggest multiple open field tests, including taking control over the drone as well as breaking contact to have it return. I certainly failed in that regard, an error that won't be replicated. Yet, in my defense, I did rely upon the Litchi statements in the software, on screen, that I could take control, as well as my initial confirmation. I paid nearly $30 US for the Litchi app.

Once my P4pro is back I may decide not to ever again use it. The DJI Pro doesn't provide VR options but it never failed me.

Very sorry to hear about your loss of the aircraft, that sucks. It sounds like the Litchi app may have crashed or lost connection. When you tried to take control back did you do so via the app or by toggling the mode switch on the controller to Sport mode? The latter is the proper method to take emergency manual control because if the app's functionality is compromised then it can no longer issue commands.

Are you sure that you were actually still connected to the bird? sounds like it wasn't receiving the commands to climb (not connected?). if not connected, the app sill just continue the mission as programmed.

I think this is probably the reason DJI Go makes you fly the waypoints FIRST, to lay out a mission. You might not be aware of changes in altitude when plotting them in just software.
A hard lesson, for sure. Welcome to the Forum!

If you are going to use Litchi to plan a mission over uneven ground, I would suggest creating the path with Google Earth first and setting the altitude relative to the current position. Save as KML and import into the Litchi Mission Hub. There's a really good tutorial video on YouTube that shows how to do this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In addition if you lay out the mission using Mission Hub (using a PC browser) the height above ground will be displayed when you add each waypoint (although you still need to be aware of tall trees since the Google altitude database doesn't know about them of course.)

Also as mentioned in the other thread the only sure method to abort Litchi control in case of app problems is to use the P-A-S mode switch on the controller. Always keep a finger on this switch during a Litchi mission.

One more note, if you have the DJI GO app installed on the same device it's a good idea to force quit it before running Litchi, and vice versa.

Last edited:
I have flown several missions using Litchi during which connection has been sporadically lost due to topography.On each occasion the mission continued without a problem.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I think the real issue is to see why the drone didn't react to your commands. Any chance of uploading the flight log then we can get the pros to dive into this and see what happens. Sorry to hear about the death of the drone. Not a nice experience at all. Had two experience of that myself. Last one was mechanical problems covered by DJI despite it being over warranty, and the one before that was my fault as I used follow me mode and screwed it up. But it's a lesson learned for me and I found out that uploading the flight logs gives a more better understanding of what happened.

Re: Litchi / DJI Go - coexistence.

I have them both installed on the tablet I use but have a trick to using one or the other if the "force stop" doesn't work. Even when I properly exit out of one app and start the other, it doesn't connect, however, if I shut off the controller, then start it back up, it will prompt me about which app to use. I again choose the app I have open and it will then connect in a few seconds.

Tip: If you want to have both installed, never accept the option that allows it to automatically start one or the other when you attache the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan